Hacking Modding for Profit

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering, who here does modding for profit. For side money, ect and if you do, do you plan on having a Black Friday sale? I just find it fun to see what people all over do with their modding talents.

rickz0rz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamersclub said:
Isn't this illegal due to the message before you install homebrew?

Not really (at least in the terms of that message). Doing modding for profit is paying someone to do it for you, and if it gets screwed up, they fix it. That message is for websites that are just selling the software. Think of it as someone giving you $20 to install all the stuff on their Wii with the assurance that if something goes wrong, it can be fixed--much like a mechanic charging for labor on a repair.

gamersclub

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
danspage.tk
XP
Country
Canada
That's just questionable then
tongue.gif
Haha I know people would still do it.
wink.gif

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KiiWii said:
LightyKD said:
KiiWii said:
I mod for cash.

Black what?

No discount.

lol I like your style! Has your business started booming for the holiday season?

Average of 2 Wii's a day @ 50 quid each.

Going quite steadily.

You lucky bum! Im lucky to get 1 a week at 35 norm 45 for LU60+ system I have been getting more inquiries lately.

Sic-suicide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do the hard mods
no soft mods

about 80-100$
depends on what they want and what they have

I do home services as well
and i install everything for them

and also show them where to get it
if they need it

I dont sell them games nor do i give them any
ill show them where to get them

thats all up to them
as for me

i got a dvd drive in my pc that can rip MY games
and replace the originals in the case so no wear and tear

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking to do soft mods, but its tough to find customers. Is there really any risk anymore, if you just install HBC, cIOS38rev14 and a Neogamma channel? What likelihood is that to fail?

I would charge to install the stuff, but like was said, I would gladly point them in the direction to mod for themselves if they want to try, they are paying for experience.

And about games, yeah I'd sell them, and I'm not ashamed. Its a dog eat dog world, you gotta get your money before someone else does. I'd even charge to put a game on an external hard drive, if you can find them then go right ahead, but if you want me to do something, $10 bucks a game, based on market price of the title. Of course, like I said, I have no one that will buy them. But they sell like crazy on ioffer.com, and I am sooooo f'ing pissed about that. Fuckers need to be prosecuted

TroyTheZombie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
People always find new ways to screw up their wiis, so, yeah, there is a market for it.

I personally never charge people, because i can literally do it in under 20 minutes. So I don't see the need to.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I already pushed an old lady down the stairs and stole her money today. I don't think I can swindle people out of their money until at least Saturday.

Modding for profit is just stupid. It's no better than the scammers who just take Bannerbomb and the Hackmii Installer and bundle them together and sell them to people. Most people who are literate can at least do an incredibly basic hack of their Wii (HBC, DVDx, BootMii). Most of those people can then do a satisfying hack (backup game launching, etc). And a small amount of those people can do bigger hacks (custom system menus, etc). Selling services for something you can simply do easily by yourself with tons of clear-cut guides here is poor business ethics. I've offered to hack peoples systems for free, mainly because they're friends and family and I'd enjoy playing more games with them or because I'm a nice guy. I think around Christmas time my dad finally broke down and asked me to hack his Wii.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think many people here should be charging to mod wii's, let alone offering to mod peoples wii's.
it seems the majority of the people here are always lost and crying for help.

i mean, if they know what they are doing completely, then by all means its totally legit.

but for example, if you questioning on how my guide works, how to patch an IOS, extract IOS249, if black wii's are unsoftmoddable, trying to downgrade every wii, asking how to upgrade, etc.
then you are in no position to mod other people's wii's

putting valuable possessions at risk is not cool.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
I don't think many people here should be charging to mod wii's, let alone offering to mod peoples wii's.

i mean, if they know what they are doing completely, then by all means its totally legit.

but for example, if you questioning on how my guide works, how to patch an IOS, extract IOS249, if black wii's are unsoftmoddable, trying to downgrade every wii, asking how to upgrade, etc.

I agree but I usually ask around because I use my Wii as a base test dummy for my customers. I don't mind trying stuff because I learn in the process so when its time for me to mod a customer's Wii I know what to do and what exactly to not do and to not give customers access to. like I NEVER give any of my customers a Wad Manager or even tell them about .wad files. .wad are evil to any modder because they cut profit and create problems for the customer.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
QUOTE(xzxero @ Nov 26 2009, 09:27 PM) *

exactly and further more people should heed the warnings posted with the system menu hacks we do post because when you flash anything (be it our cutom themes or channels ect) you take a calculated risk and agree to the concequence of the risk people who are not confident in the execution or dont like to gather the documentation (because we dont ALWAYS have nice folks like xzxero to generously wright it in a neat guide) then it might be best not to preform that hack..(making wii themes for example took a few months to fully grasp and a bit of team work to dev anything worth while) It never hurts to have friends with common goals and to be prepaired so apply the resources like the stickies and search and everyone is on there way happy and softmodded for FREE!
ohmy.gif
its just a matter of putting your will forth for the most part the scene is full of team players here at gbatemp if people just told there "customers" about the guide they may just be more compitant than you credit them for
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr