dashelter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am getting either a DS or DS Lite.
What is the best way to mod it so I can play GBA/DS Games/Homebrews?
What is the best flashcard for DS or DS Lite?
What else will I need to fully mod a DS or DS Lite? Where do I get the equipment to mod the ds / ds lite?

I am new at this.
Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way to "mod" your DS/Lite (at this point in time) is to get a flashcart. I'll suggest some, but I don't know much about the DS/Lite era flashcarts. I recommend either an Acekard2i or a Supercard DSTWO.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
The best FC is the Supercard DSTWO. It's pretty expensive compared to the others but I'm pretty sure it's worth the money.

D

Deleted_171835

You would have to purchase a flashcart. with a microSD card. There are several different flashcarts. You can choose using the chart below. There are no softmods for the DS/DSi. You'll have to purchase a flashcart to play games and homebrew.
cardchart.gif

made by Rydian.
Consult the Beginner's Guide to Flashcarts for details on each flashcart.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dashelter said:
What is the best way to mod it so I can play GBA/DS Games/Homebrews?You will need to buy a flashcart.
dashelter said:
What is the best flashcard for DS or DS Lite?As machomuu said, the Acekard and the Supercard DSTWO are the best. If you are not wanting to pay much, the original R4 is also a viable alternative.
QUOTE(dashelter @ Feb 20 2011, 01:27 PM)
What else will I need to fully mod a DS or DS Lite? Where do I get the equipment to mod the ds / ds lite?
Nothing. That's it. Excluding FlashMe, which isn't really needed anymore, you won't be doing any actual modding to your DS. Everything will be on the SD card in your flashcart.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you must go with a DS then go with either the DSi or DSi XL if you like the bigger screen(I did).

The best way to mod a DS system is to buy a flash cart. You don't need anything else but a flash cart.

If you go with a DSi/XL and want to play GBA games you'll need a Supercard DSTWO as it emulates that and other systems such as NES, SNES, etc. and it offers the best NDS compatibility out there.

If you really want a a DS or DS Lite then the best flash cart is arguably either the Supercard DSTWO again or the much cheaper R4DS/ M3 Simply with Wood R4 which offers great compatibility without the high price.

To play GBA games on a NDS or DS Lite you'll need either one of those flash cards and a EZ Flash 3 in 1 which allows you to play GBA games without emulating them like the DSTWO does and thus offers the highest compatibility. You can also use it as a rumble device or increased ram for homebrew or to use the internet browser.

R4DS+Wood R4 firmware with EZflash 3 in 1 = roughly $26
Supercard DSTWO= $34 and if you want GBA without the emulation then + ezflash 3 in 1 = $54

Check these links for the cheapest places to buy the cards:
http://shoptemp.net/products/R4-DS-Revolution.html R4DS
http://shoptemp.net/products/EZ-3%252din%2...ension-Kit.html EZ Flash 3 in 1
http://shoptemp.net/products/Supercard-DSTWO.html Supercard DSTWO

Cuelhu

GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Issac said:
You don't need the EZ Flash 3 in 1 for GBA emulation with the Supercard DSTWO
the Ez Flash 3 in 1 doesn't emulate GBA and is the best solution for DS/lite owners. The GBA emulation on DSTwo is far from perfect and is meant for DSi, which doesn't have the slot-2.

dashelter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the only difference between the DS/Ds Lite and the DSi-DSI XL is the size of the screen, correct?
If I go with the DS or DS Lite, regardless of price, which is better between the Acekart 2.1 and the Supercard DSTWO and why you feel one is better than the other for a DS or DS Lite?

Thanks for all your feedback to help me make the right decision.

D

Deleted_171835

dashelter said:
So, the only difference between the DS/Ds Lite and the DSi-DSI XL is the size of the screen, correct?
If I go with the DS or DS Lite, regardless of price, which is better between the Acekart 2.1 and the Supercard DSTWO and why you feel one is better than the other for a DS or DS Lite?

Well, the Supercard DSTWO can play GBA games, has real time save, slow motion and in game menus. The onboard CPU will make the DS battery die much faster, though.

The Acekard 2i has a number of great features, too but it doesn't have any of the features I mentioned above. Do note that there is a price difference between the two flashcarts of about $20.

If you have the money, I suggest you go for the DSTWO but if you're looking for a cheap and reliable flashcart, purchase the Acekard 2i.
---
There are more differences between the DS Phat/Lite and the DSi/DSi KL than the size of the screen. The DSi/DSi XL has a Shop (for purchasing small apps), a music player (that only plays .aac files), two cameras (of relatively low quality), an internet browser and a more powerful CPU (which isn't put to use by many games).

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Cuelhu said:
Issac said:
You don't need the EZ Flash 3 in 1 for GBA emulation with the Supercard DSTWO
the Ez Flash 3 in 1 doesn't emulate GBA and is the best solution for DS/lite owners. The GBA emulation on DSTwo is far from perfect and is meant for DSi, which doesn't have the slot-2.

No I didn't say the EZ emulates, I said that the DSTWO doesn't need the EZ to emulate... But I said what I did without reason, because I thought he wrote that he needs the EZ to use the GBA functions on the DSTWO
tongue.gif

dashelter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
dashelter said:

Well, the Supercard DSTWO can play GBA games, has real time save, slow motion and in game menus. The onboard CPU will make the DS battery die much faster, though.

The Acekard 2i has a number of great features, too but it doesn't have any of the features I mentioned above. Do note that there is a price difference between the two flashcarts of about $20.

If you have the money, I suggest you go for the DSTWO but if you're looking for a cheap and reliable flashcart, purchase the Acekard 2i.
---
There are more differences between the DS Phat/Lite and the DSi/DSi KL than the size of the screen. The DSi/DSi XL has a Shop (for purchasing small apps), a music player (that only plays .aac files), two cameras (of relatively low quality), an internet browser and a more powerful CPU (which isn't put to use by many games).

Are you saying that the Acekard 2i does not save the games being played nor has any game menus?

I have downloaded a couple of ds roms online, can I play them with the Acekard 2i or the DSTWO?
I also downloaded some gba rom games that I play in my modded PSP.
Will I be able to play downloaded DS ROMS games with the Acekard 2i?

Also, do you think that the Supercard DSTWO will fit better the DSI or DSi XL because the battery will last longer on them (due to their more powerful CPU) than on a regular DS/DS Lite?

Thanks.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dashelter said:
SoulSnatcher said:
dashelter said:

---

Are you saying that the Acekard 2i does not save the games being played nor has any game menus?

I have downloaded a couple of ds roms online, can I play them with the Acekard 2i or the DSTWO?

Also, do you think that the Supercard DSTWO will fit better the DSI or DSi XL because the battery will last longer on them (due to their more powerful CPU) than on a regular DS/DS Lite?

Thanks.
Yes, the Acekard2i does play backups, or in your case, pirated roms. Also, the DSLite has a longer lasting bettery than both the DSi and DSiXL, as well as the DS.

The Acekard doesn't have any in-game menus, but you can still save your game, just not via a real-time save (aka a save state).

D

Deleted_171835

dashelter said:

Thanks.
The Acekard 2i does save the games being played. Real Time Save is the ability to save anywhere you want in the game. As in, you could be in a boss battle and you would be able to save right there. With the Acekard 2i, it saves as if you're using a legit cart.
I hope that wasn't too confusing

The in game menu is a custom menu that can be used to access a game guide (.txt, .jpg, etc.), start slow-motion (as the name suggests, the game is slower) and access an on-the-fly cheat engine.

I have downloaded a couple of ds roms online, can I play them with the Acekard 2i or the DSTWO? Yes.
I also downloaded some gba rom games that I play in my modded PSP. You will be able to play them on the DSTWO. With the Acekard 2i, you'll have to purchase an EZ Flash 3 in 1 to play GBA games. Do note that the EZ Flash 3 in 1 cannot be used on a DSi. If you're planning on purchasing a DSi/DSi XL and want to play GBA games, I suggest you purchase the DSTWO.
Will I be able to play downloaded DS ROMS games with the Acekard 2i? Yes.[/p]
Actually, the DSTWO will have a longer battery life on the DS Phat/Lite instead of on the DSi, IIRC.
The DSi/XL has a lower battery life than the DS Phat/Lite.

dashelter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
dashelter said:
SoulSnatcher said:
dashelter said:

---

Thanks.
Yes, the Acekard2i does play backups, or in your case, pirated roms. Also, the DSLite has a longer lasting bettery than both the DSi and DSiXL, as well as the DS.

The Acekard doesn't have any in-game menus, but you can still save your game, just not via a real-time save (aka a save state).

So, what is the disadvantage for not having an in-game menu?
I have a DS Emulator on my psp and I play dowloaded Pokemon Roms games on it.
Not sure if I have in-game menus for them.

Anyway, what are these in-game menus and what do they do for the games?
Do I have to absolutely have them in the games?

Thanks for helping out here!

D

Deleted_171835

dashelter said:
So, what is the disadvantage for not having an in-game menu?
I have a DS Emulator on my psp and I play dowloaded Pokemon Roms games on it.
Not sure if I have in-game menus for them.

Anyway, what are these in-game menus and what do they do for the games?
Do I have to absolutely have them in the games?

Thanks for helping out here!
The in game menu is a custom menu that can be used to access a game guide (.txt, .jpg, etc.), start slow-motion (as the name suggests, the game is slower) and access an on-the-fly cheat engine.
I have a DS Emulator on my psp and I play dowloaded Pokemon Roms games on it. Not sure if I have in-game menus for them. You probably don't.

Anyway, what are these in-game menus and what do they do for the games? Did you even read the post I made above?

Do I have to absolutely have them in the games? No, you don't.[/p]

dashelter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I should be fine with the Acekart 2i then, correct?
The only thing would be that I will not be able to play GBA ROM Games downloaded on sites, right?
While the Supercard DSTWO, I am able to play both GBA and GBC right?

All in All, I am getting a DS Lite.
And your suggestion would be that I will be ok with just the AceKart 2i or do I need something else in addition to the Acekart 2i?

Thanks so so much for your feedback.

D

Deleted_171835

dashelter said:
So, I should be fine with the Acekart 2i then, correct?
The only thing would be that I will not be able to play GBA ROM Games downloaded on sites, right?
While the Supercard DSTWO, I am able to play both GBA and GBC right?

All in All, I am getting a DS Lite.
And your suggestion would be that I will be ok with just the AceKart 2i or do I need something else in addition to the Acekart 2i?

Thanks so so much for your feedback.
Correct. The Acekard 2i is a great flashcard. I own one.
The only thing would be that I will not be able to play GBA ROM Games downloaded on sites, right? Yes.
While the Supercard DSTWO, I am able to play both GBA and GBC right? Yes. The Acekard 2i can still play GBC games, using a homebrew called Lameboy. It can't play GBA games, though.[/p]
Correct. Be sure to purchase a microSD card with it, though. You'll need the microSD card to store ROMs and homebrew. You should also use AKAIO instead of the official firmware. You can download this at AKAIO's official site.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :rofl2: