Modchips the solution for choppy videos on backups?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kyomagi, Mar 28, 2009.

1. kyomagi
    OP

Member kyomagi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So i have been running soft mod on my wii and gecko. It seems that 90% of in game amv's run slow and choppy. I heard because its run on 3x rather than the wiis 6x. I ordered a wiikey 2 and saw that it lets you run the drive on backups at 6x, will that fix the choppy videos?

thanks!

2. games2007

Member games2007 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Simply, yes.
    Most good modchips allow you to boot games at 6x, rather than 3.4x, which is the speed of the backup loader or disk channel boot with Preloader.
    This will allow you to run games at full speed, as if they were original copy games.
    The Wii's drive is underclocked to 3.4x when reading DVDs.
    Much more isn't required to play a movie, but these are games, which would require 6x.
    The Wii Optical disks are printed with a serial that the Wii Reads to know to show them in the disk menu without any modifications, and then run the game at 6x speed, rather than reading it as a DVD- 3.4x speed.

Hope this helps you =)
    Purchase the modchip. It's worth it, but be careful with the installation.
    I'm not sure if Nintendo would renew your Wii if you have warranty due to an unsuccessful system modification.

3. kyomagi
    OP

Member kyomagi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks, i was hoping that was the case,

I ordered the modchip thursday and its gonna be here monday or tuesday from modchipcentral. I also ordered the solderless version and watched tons of videos on how to install it, pretty much plug and play.

thanks for the help again

4. games2007

Member games2007 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No problem!
    Welcome to the forum =)
    Maybe I can answer more questions you have.