Hacking Question Modchips and System Updates

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello! I purchased a Nintendo Switch that was already CFW'd back in May. It definetly has a modchip (can be turned off and on and go directly into CFW without the need to push the payload). The thing is, i absolutely have no idea which modchip it uses and i really want to update to a more recent version (8.0.1 or 8.1.0) to be able to play my cart backups such as Fire Emblem and Crash Team Racing. Is it safe to update to newer versions? Will the modchip still push the payload, or do i have to make any more updates to it?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's using Hekate, then it will boot the latest version of Hekate if it's on your SD card. That should make it relatively safe to update if you're using the latest version of Kosmos, for example.

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If it's using Hekate, then it will boot the latest version of Hekate if it's on your SD card. That should make it relatively safe to update if you're using the latest version of Kosmos, for example.
It is indeed using Hekate, however, i can't get it to boot normally with my SD. It will only boot in Hekate if it has no microSD plugged in the slot. Then it will boot into Hekate 4.6, and showing to be using Simple-UF2 v0.9.2.
As far as i am concerned, Hekate 4.6 only supports up to 6.2.0. What should be done in this case?

White_Raven_X

Hack everything, hack the world!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you @fate6 that's very useful. I wasnt aware this existed. In your opinion, which chip is the best and easiest to install? I would rather use this as I don't want to bother with the injection process. I'm running 9.0.0

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@White_Raven_X I have a trinket M0 from back when this was all first being done but i think there are easier chips to work with that wont require you desoldering a USB port on said chip.

Take a look at the software thread here > https://gbatemp.net/threads/modchip...switchboot-save-fuses-without-autorcm.526607/

There is a list of all the chips matty supports so you can give them a google and see which one you would be fine with installing, end result is the same for all of them so its really just which install process for the chip you want to do plus what the prices/availability of them are.

Reactions: mattytrog

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @The Real Jdbye @SylverReZ @Xdqwerty :creep: +1