Modchip + upgrading

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Jpaa, Jul 7, 2010.

Jul 7, 2010

Modchip + upgrading by Jpaa at 5:13 PM (876 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Jpaa
    OP

Newcomer Jpaa Member

United States
    I've found some rumors about upgrading the system firmware while having a modchip installed. In these rumors, there might be a chance to brick (and even giving the error 003) just for having a modchip installed.

I thought any chance of bricking from system menu upgrade was if the system menu itself, its booting IOS or its boot2 version corrupted during the installation.

Does any modchip plays an important role about bricking a Wii during upgrades?

2. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ive got a drivekey and I know that they are safe to use while upgrading the wii software because they hook to the drive itself and have nothing to do with the wii motherboard, basically they just trick the wii into thinking theres a different kind of disc running than an original. I have upgraded the firmware 4 times with no problems.

As far as the others that are soldered or hook to the wii motherboard itself, I havent really used any of them.
    Personally, I have two wii's that are chipped but since I changed to usb loading....they are a waste and serve no real purpose.
    Unless you specifically want gamecube usb loading, theres no real need for one anymore.

Im on 4.2 but theres no real need for anything over 4.1 yet.
    .........someone else may reply on the soldered chips........anyone?

3. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Error 003 is only given on region-changed Korean Wii's. The only thing that can happen is that you'll lose the ability to play region free discs..

4. Jpaa
    OP

Newcomer Jpaa Member

United States
    I don't use any modchip. I just felt compelled to know if these rumors are true. As Gordinio wrote, error 003 has only one association, and I wanted to confirm that.

Some games, in fact, detect you are playing them through a backup disc, but I think this detection is based on the disc itself, not on the modchip.

That means there's no relation between modchip and updates, in terms of bricking?

5. afnuke

United States
    Ive never heard or seen a game that detects you are using a bakcup disc....can anyone confirm which games this is, I would like to see it for myself.

Yeah, I dont think there has been any actual proof that chips and updating was the cause of a brick.......of course most of the bricks are from deleting ios's or from bad wad files. Im sure that probally makes up 90 percent or more or the bricks.

Nand emulation is the big key....you brick the nand on the sd and all you do is fix your sd card and your good again. When the compatibility problems are fixed it will be the best way to go and almost idiot proof.

6. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    NSMB. BCA protection kills the game if you're playing from a medium other than the original disc. However, most current chips have a patch for it.

7. Jpaa
    OP

Newcomer Jpaa Member

United States
    Sorry for coming here so late, I'm grateful for all the answers. As modchips do not cause bricks (if the installation was correctly done), what can be said about loss of functionality? The user afnuke said something about modchips soldered to the motherboard itself, so even these just trick the dvd drive? Or they depend somewhat of the system menu or some IOSes, having the risk of stop work on higher firmwares?

8. afnuke

United States
    When a game disk is put into a Wii the firmware inside of it checks to see if this game is in the correct format for the Wii to play the disk. If a mod chip is installed in the Wii, the mod chip intercepts the firmware and adds a line of code that tricks the Wii's drive into playing the disk that was inserted, even if the Wii does not support that kind of disk. just info I found.
    Like I said Ive only tinkered with the non soldered ones but they both probally work the same way, just disc read speeds vary.

They did have problems on 3.0 with modchips and upgrades(or atleast rumors), but it was also when modchips were still new and even HBC wasnt nearly as developed. They have came to far and I dont believe they will be able to impair functionality until nintendo actually changes internal components like they changed to the new drives that wont even read backups. maybe someone more informed can give a better answer