Modchip Choices

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Sportsmaniac1322, Nov 13, 2008.

Nov 13, 2008

Modchip Choices by Sportsmaniac1322 at 11:34 PM (1,247 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    After seeing my modded Wii (wiikey v1), my friend wants to get his Wii modded also. He has a D2C drivechip (serial number is LU5495****). I want to get him a pre-soldered wii-clip so it's easier for the both of us. We also want to keep it as cheap as possible. Looking on ModchipCentral, I've narrowed my options down to 3: D2Sun v1.5 for $45, D2Sun v3.0 for $55, or the Wiikey v2 for $58. Here are my questions:

EDIT: I've narrowed it down to 2 options that both look good. The D2Sun v3.0 or the Wiikey v2. Is it worth upgrading to the Wiikey v2 for an extra $5?

2. Xeijin

Member Xeijin GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    The cheapest option is softmodding I believe as it costs nothing lol?

3. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    Well yeah lol but he wants perfect compatibility (which isn't possible at the moment). It may be in a year, it may be in 2 weeks. But he wants his games to play at full speed with perfect compatibility like mine do (along with Gamecube backups).

4. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
  5. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    Alrighty then. Argon's out. Now for my next question: For the D2 Sun, there are 2 versions on ModchipCentral. There's the D2Sun v1.5 for $45 or there's the D2Sun v3.0 for $55. What's the difference between the two? If the 3.0 version is recommended, I'd almost just want to spend the extra $4 for the Wiikey v2...

EDIT: I've read that FAQ many times. Didn't say anything about the Argon, so...

6. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Yeah maybe I should include it, but then I'll get flamed by the fanboys and I said what modchips I recommend, I can't possibly list all that I don't recommend. I made an exception for the D2Pro since it's really overhyped...

7. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    Well I definitely want to be able to upgrade incase another SMG or SSBB comes out. So last question: would you recommend getting the D2Sun v3.0 or the Wiikey v2 (at this point an extra $4 is no big deal).

8. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The D2Sun v3 is completely upgradeable, the D2Sun v1.5 isn't. Wiikey v2 is DVD-upgradeable (but you can't upgrade the Lattice chip, just the SPI flash.)

If something changes in a breaking-things way in future:
    - D2Sun v1.5: you can just switch it off using the external switch to play originals that don't work with it. On the downside, you can't play any new games that won't work with it.
    - D2Sun v3: you can switch it off using the external switch to play originals that don't work with it until there's an upgrade. To upgrade it, you have to find somewhere to buy the Nero programmer (not necessarily easy, and they're way overpriced) but as long as an upgrade fixes the problem, you're set.
    - Wiikey v2: you have to wait for an upgrade to come out. As long as it's something that can be fixed by DVD upgrade (nearly any problem you're likely to face can be) then you just have to stick an update disc in.

I bought a D2Sun v3 - and it just plain doesn't work for my drive with the Wii-clip it came pre-soldered to. I think I just got a faulty one, although I would've liked to try a firmware upgrade. I can't find somewhere in my country to buy the flash upgrader so I'm probably just going to get a Wiikey v2.

9. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    DVD upgradability is just fine for me. Does anyone know if the D2Sun v1.5 upgrades through DVD or not?

10. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    No DVD upgrading on the D2sun range at all. It's a planned feature for some stage in the future I think, but since 1.5 isn't flashable either, it's irrelevant.

11. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    Ok then that just leaves the D2Sun v3.0 or the Wiikey v2. Right now I'm leaning towards the Wiikey. Any thoughts?