GCN Mod for the gamecube

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There are plenty on youtube but you will end with something ugly and you con't be able to keep the lid closed anymore. A good solution, cheap and easy, is to remove the upper part of the casing, leaving the dvd exposed and connect a switch to the lid sensor.

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA

thetechbros

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are plenty on youtube but you will end with something ugly and you con't be able to keep the lid closed anymore. A good solution, cheap and easy, is to remove the upper part of the casing, leaving the dvd exposed and connect a switch to the lid sensor.
theres someone in the uk who does them and lid still works

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Even better, buy a Wii. So cheap these days. USB HDD support. Full GameCube support too
I cant get the wii to play off the hdd

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
theres someone in the uk who does them and lid still works

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just cutting the case is easy but the lid won't close. You have to rebuild some plastic parts. Check this one:
file.php

https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3578

Reactions: Leobgood

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly thought that modding the wii consist of using a SD media launcher thingy for homebrew. :ninja:

Sounds almost as good as having a action replay on saturn, or just burning homebrew disc like dreamcast :P

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly thought that modding the wii consist of using a SD media launcher thingy for homebrew. :ninja:

I presume you mean Gamecube. And yea, not only that but Swiss has cheat support*. I went the Exploit Under Fire route, mostly for GCI.

* Although some cheats are incompatible. It's basically the only way I can tolerate playing Wind Waker with all the sailing. :/

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, gamecube Lol. Right :P

That and I thought people managed to put save exploits on gamecube memory cards (kinda like ps2 free mcboot) I hear they made a mod for smash bros melee that is a modified save data installed on memory card. Seem cool to me. :)

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, the list of exploitable games is pretty extensive (thanks to the work of Extrems and Fix94) include SSBM, WW, Twilight Princess, Pokemon Colosseum/XD, Splinter Cell, Agent Under Fire, Animal Crossing, F-Zero GX, and more. Even though I had SSBM, Animal Crossing, etc I went with buying Agent Under Fire so I could just leave it in my Gamecube and if I wanted use my GC discs in my Wii or other Wiis There's someone who was even nice enough to measure start times. Haven't tested it myself, but from some Youtube videos the Agent Under Fire exploit (with some button mashing) takes ~35-40 seconds from cold.

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’m sure im missing out the obvious answer. But with Mini DVD-r being so inexpensive these days, why not just use them? Or are you wanting to do multi-boot discs?

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I’m sure im missing out the obvious answer. But with Mini DVD-r being so inexpensive these days, why not just use them? Or are you wanting to do multi-boot discs?

The gamecube is not able to read more than 1.2 gb, AFAIK. even using bigger dvds doesn't have any advantage: the usable part is still the same. It is a limitaiton fo the optical reader's firmware and is not possible to change that even with a modchip. Mini dvds are cheap but standard size dvd are cheaper ;-)

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The gamecube is not able to read more than 1.2 gb, AFAIK. even using bigger dvds doesn't have any advantage: the usable part is still the same. It is a limitaiton fo the optical reader's firmware and is not possible to change that even with a modchip. Mini dvds are cheap but standard size dvd are cheaper ;-)

Good point, I was forgetting about the physical limitation of the drive itself. Too much morphine, or not enough coffee, one of then's to blame :D

I don't really mind the price difference, it's only £3 per 50 discs difference for me so no real biggie.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over