Homebrew MOD DS GAMES INTO NATIVE 3DS GAMES???

Davey159

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wondered if a Native DS game could run natively on the 3DS with mods with source code. Since they both are made with C or C++ and bot are made for dual screens, would it be possible. And if it was, how? I am wondering because I would like GTA Chinatown Wars on the DS running at a higher res on it.

Thanks to anyone who answers

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I always wondered why this was never done... like modding TWL_FIRM to stay in 3DS mode with the higher clocks and extra resolution. Maybe even squeeze out some extra performance out of DS/i homebrew on the 3DS.

markpeng0315

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
it might possible, but texure was still poor limited to nds cardage rom spaces.
some people sccessfully pack .nds into cia and i did not know the method
but it could normally run. and it could pack gba rom as well.
it might use a simulator or using 3ds-built in-ds simulator
so my answer is this could be a way to run ds games on native 3ds. but you may do whole new texure and uncoding nds and coding 3ds.
pertty hard isn't it? but wish you sccuess.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"limited to nds cardage rom spaces"
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dscartridgeheader
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dscartridgeprotocol
32 bit address space available, though individual file formats might go lower and some games will try to cram whole files into memory which can make things tricky. That is also ignoring some kind of tweak you might do on this emulator/hypervisor type deal to make sector addressing or bankswitching or some kind of virtual extension. This would bring it in line with some of the largest 3ds releases from what I can see.

Anyway I don't know the 3ds hardware and firmware/bios/hypervisor/OS setups well enough to know how feasible it would be to make use of or adapt something running in the background on the 3ds.
I would first look for the limitations that might prevent it -- the link above is great for DS hardware, you would need it all working on the DS (though might be able to skip wifi, even if I imagine you want this so as to be able to do wifi games without needing WEP, and not all games will need 3d hardware even if most of the later ones will). For instance the reason the GBA is so hard to emulate on the DS is because the DS slot is actually a fair bit slower than the GBA one and thus you would need to compensate for that.

Being made from C/C++ means fairly little in this. That is good for dynamic recompilation emulators, means some measure of decompiler can happen (rather than being limited to disassembly), possibly means you can infer some info if the devs did not strip all useful function names out and has implications for cheat making as far as memory allocation. For the purposes of (expanded capabilities) hypervisor style running then it can be written in java, assembly, or brainfuck... it matters not a lot.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you have source code then yeah many doors open to you. However source code mostly amounts to princess maker, a few random included files and whatever dropped in that gigaleak. Maybe in the future when decompilation gets a bit better we might see some more.

I am more here to say though that on textures and models then sure hitting subsurf is a tempting thing in this but watching the high res DS emulation stuff ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/hi-resolution-ds-emulation.364549/ for an older example) then many things do pretty well. The 2d side of things though will almost certainly need reworking or giant borders.

Davey159

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds great, I just need to find some open source DS games, and recompile them for the 3DS... But even though I have a bit of experience with C Sharp and C ++, I really don't think I can do this alone. If anybody is up to help me on this project, It would be great!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @Psionic Roshambo i didn't go amd for one specific reason, the AI performance is way behind nvidia
    +1
    i just got a 4070ti
    oh yeah also DLSS is a pretty solid reason to go nvidia since fidelityfx is kinda crap
    and now with the rtx video upscaling, and sdr->hdr conversion, even more reason to go nvidia
    both of which work well in potplayer
    amd is a bit cheaper though
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Cheaper and they are less stingy with the RAM not a big issue now but I can imagine in a yard or two things might be different
    Year not yard lol
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more