Gaming MMORPGS

heavyknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now I'm looking for something to play, but haven't found anything interesting. And what I have found is either closed beta'd or not out yet, or does not have a US/'global' counterpart. That and I can't/don't do P2P, mostly because most P2P's that I've tried/trial'd haven't been so great, a bit typical..the usual 3D point n' click. S4 League can only go so far, lack of weapons make it a bit boring.

So I was wondering, who plays what, and who recommends trying out what?
Dragon's Nest, etc, etc, waiting some of those games, but...DN's questionable. Nexon's not so great, and tend to milk games...the Stamina system is a bit of a turn off.

Looking for something that's either more than a point and click (Action type RPGs?), or more than a typical point and click. (Mabinogi, or Harvest Moon/Rune Factory-styled [Which doesn't exist, Rune Factory is nice])

Would also like to mention something either fit for Solo play, or something with a decent amount of people for grouping. I don't have anyone else to play with (in case anyone wants to go on a random MMO testing spree). I'm trying to drag a friend into LaTale, but so far, no success.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
may want to give Runes of Magic a try, its got elements of World of Warcraft, EQ2 and Final Fantasy XI. It is a free to play game, they make there money from people buying optional items with real cash. Its definitely more than a a clicking around game, although you can move around with just mouse clicks. The game has a 3rd person view rather than a overhead view

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I've recently started Mabinogi. I haven't got that far to say my opinion on it yet but it seems alright.
You could try Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst (I know, I say this is all the MMORPG threads) if you like PSO.

About random MMO testing spree (lmao, never thought of that phase before). I did one a while back, haven't found a great one so I always stick to PSO:BB =/
There's one game that I've always wanted to try and that's Pangya, I know it's not an MMORPG but the PSP game is awesome.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Runescape

smileipb2.png

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8BitWalugi said:
Runescape

smileipb2.png

+1 to RuneScape. Although I haven't played it in a few years since they de-forum modded me, it was still addiciting for the first 6 years =P

Exaltys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GenocideSiren said:
Monster Hunter Frontier Online. Completely action. If you know about Monster Hunter already, then there's no need to explain.

A couple problems I have with this game. It is pay to play and, IIRC, if they find out you're not Japanese you get banned.

chA1nBull3t

Trophies
Website
www.kalam1ty.co.cc
XP
Country
United States
I used to play a lot of Ragnarok Online. They have p2p and free servers.. however, I find private servers to be more reliable and friendly.

It's pretty straight forward and basic. Very much a retro RPG but nontheless, one of the best. It has a very unique art style that no other top-down MMO has and it's quite amusing. Guildwars (aka WoE) can get very intense. Not to mention, boss fights and raiding can be a challenge; however, they're always fun to tackle.

Very hardcore, very fun. Give it a try.
I actually play at this private server if you want to give it a go:
http://www.amistr.net/

(this is legit to post here right? lol. private servers are technically legal as long as they don't charge for a profit. This one is FREE like 99.9999% of all private servers out there).

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Ether Saga

http://eso.perfectworld.com/

It has some EPIC UI features.
And the cash-shop money can be bought with in-game currency so you can get any item in the cashshop with enough work.

I also really really enjoy LaTale and it's private server.
I also like Luna
And theres a racing MMO I liked, Drift city or something. I forget.
Theres also Lunia where the P2P can be owned by skill and not level. I took down a level 23 knight class with a level 5 healer.
Square Enix made a new MMO called Fantasy Earth Zero, hosted by Gamespot.

Try out Ether Saga. Its very nice.

Hachibei said:
Fantasy Earth Zero? I'm downloading it right now, shoot me a PM if you want to check it out together xD
Its not too great. Strange control mechanics...

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still play Runescape, though the forum has become a lot less fun with a update a few months ago.F2P is one of the largest teasers in the mmo world, and it entices you to buy the $7 a month P2P. I don't have any other recommendations to give you, but as a long time player of RS (since 2003) I can safely tell you the content team has gone crazy, and there is no sign of slowing down.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played Runescape as a kid but that got boring.

Played Guild Wars for a year or two but that got boring too.

Nowadays I don't bother. I prefer online gaming on my Xbox anyway. Just an easy way to hook up with friends and stuff.

If I had a better computer that could actually do decent gaming I'd try some more. Maybe that Star Wars: The Old Republic when it comes out and maybe Star Trek Online (STO is supposed to be kinda crappy but I'm a big Trekkie nerd).

heavyknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of text/being picky time.

Prowler485 said:
I've recently started Mabinogi. I haven't got that far to say my opinion on it yet but it seems alright.
You could try Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst (I know, I say this is all the MMORPG threads) if you like PSO.

About random MMO testing spree (lmao, never thought of that phase before). I did one a while back, haven't found a great one so I always stick to PSO:BB =/
There's one game that I've always wanted to try and that's Pangya, I know it's not an MMORPG but the PSP game is awesome.

I like to PSOBB with my friend whenever he's up for it, but it's not good for constant play xD. Don't want to get bored of it fast. I've heard many good things about Pangya and was going to give it a go, until..I dunno, I..forgot about it, I think.
Though I kind of want to try PSU. Sadly, the PC/PS2 servers are no more, and I don't think anyone will make a private server.

8BitWalugi said:
Runescape
smileipb2.png

Good times...pay to open a gate, etc, etc. Not a fan of premiums, though. It was good mindless fun back then.

- Monster Hunter Frontier Online.
Was tempted to try one of the Asian versions, but never got to it. It seems fun, though.

Hachibei said:
Fantasy Earth Zero? I'm downloading it right now, shoot me a PM if you want to check it out together xD
Tried FEZ earlier, with the exception of having a crappy graphics card at the time, I might revisit it...it was weird and kind of complicated. and the nations thing gives me a NeoSteam feel..in terms of...population issues.

QUOTE(chA1nBull3t @ May 26 2010, 06:22 PM) I used to play a lot of Ragnarok Online. They have p2p and free servers.. however, I find private servers to be more reliable and friendly.
Had a bit of fun with RO a while back, until people I knew stopped being 'friends'...long story. They probably got bored, and I never really meet people in private servers, for some reason.

QUOTE(Njrg @ May 26 2010, 06:45 PM)
Ether Saga
http://eso.perfectworld.com/
It has some EPIC UI features.
And the cash-shop money can be bought with in-game currency so you can get any item in the cashshop with enough work.

I also really really enjoy LaTale and it's private server.
I also like Luna
And theres a racing MMO I liked, Drift city or something. I forget.
Theres also Lunia where the P2P can be owned by skill and not level. I took down a level 23 knight class with a level 5 healer.
Square Enix made a new MMO called Fantasy Earth Zero, hosted by Gamespot.

Try out Ether Saga. Its very nice.

Tried ESO back with the crappy card, it didn't seem so great, I might give it a go again.
LT - I've tried the private server, but it seems weird.
Luna - I enjoyed playing with my MMO buddy until she went into P2P and headed towards Aion. That, and she for some reason deleted her lv39 and restarted, so I ended up making a new character with her. Was fun. Until Aion came out. One reason why I hate P2P games. It's not that I can't afford it (well, I kind of can't, but at the same time I can), it's just that Aion/most P2Ps doesn't appeal to me. -sigh- miss Luna-ing..
Lunia - It was okay, but with the many cash shop characters, it kind of got old. Might try it again later.

Oh well....must try stuff...
hate2.gif

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I played WoW for around 6 months, and I really enjoyed it. I stopped as I started to play my PS3 more so found it a bit of a waste paying the subscription.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Try Entropia, I tried to play it on my laptop but my graphics card was so shit it couldn't render the models...

It looks really good from what I've seen and it has this thing called a real world econemy so you earn in game cash called PED and have the option to convert it to your bank account

10 PED = 1 US i think

heavyknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zeromac said:
Try Entropia, I tried to play it on my laptop but my graphics card was so shit it couldn't render the models...

It looks really good from what I've seen and it has this thing called a real world econemy so you earn in game cash called PED and have the option to convert it to your bank account

10 PED = 1 US i think
That actually sounds interesting..

QUOTE(tails100 @ May 27 2010, 03:34 AM) OMG your waiting for dragon nest to? THATS SUCH AN EPIC GAME! cant wait till its out =D
Yup. Can't wait either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated