Gaming MMORPG?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be possible. I mean I wouldn't say something on the scale of World of Warcraft or whatever but it could happen. I mean the iPod Touch/iPhone got a MMORPG, so I don't see why this can't. Well, I don't know if the iPhone MMORPG is actually any good in terms of gameplay, connection strength, etc.

It'd be an interesting concept though.

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
^ There is more than one mmorpg for the iPhone...
The connection strength is good enough
smile.gif

Gameplay is pretty simple though, tap enemy/walk to enemy press attack button.
Gain loot, level up.. Assign skills, tap skill, tap enemy/press attack button, kill monster, get loot, level up...
Etc..
We have yet to see a good mmorpg on the iPhone
tongue.gif

I don't personally think there will be any good mmorpgs for the 3DS...
It just doesn't work with consoles :/
But, if they manage to make a working, (and fun) mmorpg, I'll buy that for sure
biggrin.gif

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
I really want Runescape to be on the 3DS...
Oh please give it up.

It's bound to be possible especially with the new online feature of the 3DS it's possible we could see some MMORPGs, My suggestion is that Nintendo will make a Fire Emblem MMORPG, well an MMO with a familiarity of FE. Pokemon MMO could never come out since it's always been about the portable single player experience, (though that hasn't stopped fan projects)

killnnllik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Deathmore said:
Pokemon MMO could never come out since it's always been about the portable single player experience, (though that hasn't stopped fan projects)

Uhmm, isn't pokemon also about trading them with other people and stuff ?
seems kinda multiplayer to me, interaction with other players online in battles and stuff

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
A main problem is cost combined with upgrades. Will there be a way to save expansions to the game world and updates/fixes? Could take up a lot of space, and then that leaves it open to tampering depending on how much is stored and calculated client-side. They could take runescape's approach and do everything server-side (even streaming the world/area map/data to you in chunks), but that'd cost a lot more bandwidth, I don't think they could make up those costs by just the initial sale price of the carts, so would there be a fee to play online, and would people pay it?

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
killnnllik said:
Deathmore said:
Pokemon MMO could never come out since it's always been about the portable single player experience, (though that hasn't stopped fan projects)

Uhmm, isn't pokemon also about trading them with other people and stuff ?
seems kinda multiplayer to me, interaction with other players online in battles and stuff
No, Pokemon is more based around the single player experience. Gotta catch 'em all. You could do that by trading, but the primary method of "catching them all" would be to catch them on your own. Lately it has gotten more multiplayer based but about 10 or so % of the game is multiplayer. I don't even go online on Pokemon yet I still find it fun.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
No, Pokemon is more based around the single player experience. Gotta catch 'em all. You could do that by trading, but the primary method of "catching them all" would be to catch them on your own.
Actually no single game can catch them all (without cheats), you HAVE to trade to do that. Hell for generation 4 nintendo made a global trade station where you can trade around the country over wifi so you can get the trading and multiplayer battle stuff without having to play locally. That's MMO-ish.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
No, Pokemon is more based around the single player experience. Gotta catch 'em all. You could do that by trading, but the primary method of "catching them all" would be to catch them on your own.
Actually no single game can catch them all (without cheats), you HAVE to trade to do that. Hell for generation 4 nintendo made a global trade station where you can trade around the country over wifi so you can get the trading and multiplayer battle stuff without having to play locally. That's MMO-ish.

Still Pokemon would make a terrible MMO. The only player interaction is trading or versus. MMOs are meant to be both PvE (player vs. environment) and PvP (player vs. player). If anything a game would be PvE only with no PvP, but PvP is usually pretty shallow without an accompanying PvE. Pokemon would just be wandering around and getting people wanting to battle you. Catching Pokemon in groups would be incredibly boring unless they radical alter Pokemon's gameplay (in which case it'd just be another shitty Pokemon spin-off). Pokemon as it is would make a terrible MMO PvE experience. It's much better as a single player game with the PvP interactions, not as a full-fledged MMO.

And quite honestly, I wouldn't want to be in the same virtual room for five seconds with a bunch of raging Pokemon fanboys.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Guild McCommunist said:
And quite honestly, I wouldn't want to be in the same virtual room for five seconds with a bunch of raging Pokemon fanboys.
Maybe if you're a pedo you would. XD Lots of teeny girls play pokemon.

EDIT: Also animal crossing. Hm...
Animal Crossing would be pretty darn hectic, and there wouldn't be much to do...

Pokemon MMO's sound strange, though. You could have wild battles, followed by trainers... But it would have to be real time or it would just be to slow.

Eh, I just want 3D.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon will always be good as a single player game. I would like to see an option to be able to battle random trainers with out the need to look for someone in a chat room and swap friendcodes. maybe even have somesort of score based system that matched you up with trainers with a simular score.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, I think i'm one too