Interstellar Explorer
OP
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
Right, I have a problem for quite a while but only recently got to find out what it is.
When I launch certain programs, most prominently my Portable Apps Platform I get an error saying that
{56fdf344-fd6d-11d0-958a-006097c9a090} is not found on the computer.
I've been searching and searching and now I know its a missing registry that has to do with certain programs that require the system tray.
I have no idea when this happened or how, a system recovery comes up fruitless, but I read that importing the reg key from another system that does have it solves the problem for everybody.
But I only have access to my own computer, so I'm wondering if there is any place on the interwebs from which I can download registry keys, or if there is anybody (with a win7 or win8 system) that is willing to pm me a copy of that key?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
By and large importing random reg keys into your computer is second only to using random DLL files you found on the internet in the list of unwise ideas. The only thing that stops it being higher on that list is you can open them in a text editor/registry editor and see what they do beforehand. system recovery is not likely to do much, not that it really ever does much (however many years and thousands of fixes it has been and I have seen it properly fix a problem all of twice).

I also have to laugh at a portable applications program/manager being brought down by registry issues.

I do not have the key in question, however what you might want to try is a program like revo uninstaller (I assume you already tried uninstall and reinstall) as it will try to eliminate all traces of the program where the uninstaller might leave something behind. It has got me out of several jams with programs that deliberately leave things behind. http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html has it but it is also part of the wonder that is https://ninite.com/ .

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
OP
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
By and large importing random reg keys into your computer is second only to using random DLL files you found on the internet in the list of unwise ideas. The only thing that stops it being higher on that list is you can open them in a text editor/registry editor and see what they do beforehand. system recovery is not likely to do much, not that it really ever does much (however many years and thousands of fixes it has been and I have seen it properly fix a problem all of twice).

I also have to laugh at a portable applications program/manager being brought down by registry issues.

I do not have the key in question, however what you might want to try is a program like revo uninstaller (I assume you already tried uninstall and reinstall) as it will try to eliminate all traces of the program where the uninstaller might leave something behind. It has got me out of several jams with programs that deliberately leave things behind. http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html has it but it is also part of the wonder that is https://ninite.com/ .
Way ahead of you there. I got IObit uninstaller which scans for traces and removes them (with a selection menu popping allowing me to select or deselect associated files to delete).
What it does is scan any manual uninstall I do for traces, it requests a scan for leftovers whenever I uninstall anything.
The thing is, the Portable Apps Platform (from portableapps.com) works really well, leaving no trace on the computer (along with apps like Firefox Portable or Blender Portable that don't leave any trace either) and the only and simply way of uninstalling it is to simply drag and drop the "portableappsplatform" folder to the trash.
So far, I'm the only one who has this problem with the platform...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.