Missing Files from desktop?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by jazvdb, Aug 12, 2009.

Aug 12, 2009

Missing Files from desktop? by jazvdb at 6:18 AM (757 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. jazvdb
    OP

Member jazvdb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Files just suddenly disappeared from my Desktop!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

They're not in the recycle bin i really need to recover those files!

-WindowsXP

2. Strider

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

Try right click on desktop and sort them by.. whatever you want. They might just be out of the desktop view.

You could also try navigating to your desktop folder in the filesystem and have a look there.

If they're really deleted you'd have to use recovery tools. Also, mind keeping backups.

3. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Google Desktop Cleanup Wizard, it could be that.

4. overslept

Member overslept WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD

United States
    Maybe you have a virus. There's plenty of free anti-virus software, try googling MalwareByte.

5. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Doubt this will work, but go to My Documents, click on Tools at the top bar, then Folder Options, then View, and scroll down and find a setting that says, "Show hidden files and folders", and check it. And hit Apply.

I running Vista, so it might be different to find the Tools and Folder options etc.

Just look for them. [​IMG]

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Do they still show up if you navigate to the "desktop" folder of your computer? In Windows Explorer, this will either be in "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\desktop" (for XP) or "C:\Users\USERNAME\desktop" (for Vista). If they show up here but not on the desktop, perhaps they somehow got caught off the screen. I've had it happen to me before, when I increased the icon size too much. Try pressing CTRL+A to select all icons, then drag the icons around the desktop to bring the missing ones back on the screen. It's kinda hard to describe this, so I apologize if it isn't very clear.

7. KooLDiMe

Newcomer KooLDiMe Member

Indonesia
    ^ that.. if the files you're looking for are in the Desktop folder, then you can check: right-click from Desktop >> Arrange Icons By >> make sure "Show Desktop Icons" is ticked

8. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Windows 98 was the last I heard of files randomly disappearing from the desktop...guess not lol