Review MINI Pro Elite PS3 controller review

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The box​
Mini_Pro_Elite_Wireless_Controller_for_PS3_4.jpg
.​
.​
The controller itself​
powera-mini-pro-elite-wireless-controller-ps3-1.gif
.​
.​

Forward:
Hello, this is my first review here. Many of you around the website know my by now, and I wanted to wait until I was better known before making any review, so that my verdict on products could be trusted more. I will be making third-party accessory reviews for varies games systems, minus 360 because I don't have one. Please tell me what you like or dislike about my review in the comments, and if my reviews turn out to be liked overall, more to come. I will definately make another review sometime, and will take what you all say into account.

Firstly, what the makers claim on the packaging itself:
  • Motion Control
  • Dual Rumble
  • Rechargable
  • Wireless
  • Reverse Analogs
  • Custom L2/R2
  • Glowing Buttons
What I found to be not only true, but also good performance of those:
  • Motion Control
  • Dual Rumble
  • Rechargable
  • Wireless
  • Reverse Analogs
  • Custom L2/R2
  • Glowing Buttons
Durability and Build Quality:
  1. I got it from Barnes and Noble, and.... well, their packaging process sucks, they clearly do not care. The right side rumble motor's weights had literally fallen off due to them tossing the package around like it's a book (Hey, it's BN.com afterall). After I opened up the controller and superglued the weights back on the motor where it didn't interfere with the rumble, the controller worked flawlessly.
  2. It's a fairly heavy controller, IMO it's heavier than the first party, despite being smaller.
  3. It's small. I'm not good at judging percentages, but the best comparison I know of is that it's about half the size of an official 360 controller, which I use for my PC gaming. If you forced me to guess, I'd say it's about 40% smaller than the official PS3 controller.
  4. The build is surprisingly sturdy/durable, it truly feels like it wouldn't break if I drop it on concrete, and actually feels better than the first party in that sense.
  5. The buttons themselves feel very solid, not cheap at all.
  6. All the buttons work without any annoying clicking sound.
  7. The analog sticks turn the full 360 degrees, and have no problems at all.
  8. The L1, R1, X, Square, Triangle, and Circle buttons light up with a very pretty blue light, but have the option to be turned off by a extra button on the back.
  9. By holding the Home button for 30 seconds, it turns off the controller.
  10. My one complaint here is the color/style, but that's just personal opinion, so I will not count it against it.
  11. It comes with a dongle for attaching to the PS3/PC, so it's psuedo-wireless.

Performance:
  1. During gameplay, I noticed no lag whatsoever between button pressing and action on-screen, which is a HELL of a lot better than Power A's previous attempt with the nearly 2 second delay "Pro Elite" PS3 controller (NOTE: DO NOT get that piece of crap, this is the "MINI Pro Elite" review, not the "Pro Elite" review, which I may or may not make.)
  2. Unlike any other third party wireless controller I've seen so far, this one also has built in motion/sixaxis controls as well, and it worked without problems. I tested the motion using Folklore, which is easily the most motion-control reliant PS3 game I know of, it's literally unplayable if you don't have a controller that supports it. It was able to detect the left/right tilts, the foward/back tilts, the sudden jerk motion, and the smooth circular sweeps all required for the game just as good as the first party.
  3. The battery life is shockingly long, after a mere 1 hour charge, it works for 4 hours easily without showing any signs of loosing power.
  4. L2/R2 are much better than the first parties, as your fingers won't slip off these due to the bent design.
  5. The D-pad is rather small, but functions very well, and is in my opinion easier to work with that first party.
  6. The layout is clearly like a 360 controller, and if you're use to the PS3 layout, it can impact gameplay temporarily, but it's easy to get use to.

Value:
  1. This controller in my opinion has only one functionality flaw, the fact it cannot turn the PS3 on. However, that is a Sony restriction on third party controllers, and cannot be helped, so I will not count it against it.
  2. At $40, this is $15 cheaper than a first party controller, and every bit as good, if not better in build quality.

Features not said by the maker:
  1. Works flawlessly as a PC controller, it replaced my first party 360 controller on PC because it's much better to me.
First Party PS3 controller functions this controller has: (Green means has, red means lacks, * means not in First Party)
  1. Two analog sticks
  2. Clickable (L3 and R3) analog sticks
  3. Analog sticks side-by-side
  4. All (7) face buttons
  5. All (4) shoulder buttons
  6. D-Pad
  7. Rumble
  8. Motion (Sixaxis) support
  9. Wireless
  10. Zero button lag
  11. Very solid build quality
  12. *Option lights on L1/R1/X/Square/Triangle/Circle*
  13. *Bent ("Custom" as they say) L2/R2 buttons*
Final Verdict:
At $40, wireless with motion controls, in a controller than has a better build quality than first party? There is literally NOTHING I can say negatively about this controller, minus my personal opinion (color/style), and something Sony won't allow at all.

10/10
This is my first review,
please click the button below this text if you liked it.
I'd really appreciate that ^_^
Also, don't forget to leave comments
o how you think I could be better and what I did good.

Reactions: 4 people

emugirl1994

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
formspring.me
XP
Country
United States
Overall a good review, except the formatting throws me off a bit. Not used to seeing reviews in a list with numbers, but instead in paragraph format. Also, you didn't mention anything about the D-pad on the controller. And a size comparison with the original PS3 controller would've been nice too. Other than that, fairly decent review. Keep up the good work.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overall a good review, except the formatting throws me off a bit. Not used to seeing reviews in a list with numbers, but instead in paragraph format. Also, you didn't mention anything about the D-pad on the controller. And a size comparison with the original PS3 controller would've been nice too. Other than that, fairly decent review. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comment, I intended to mention the D-pad but somehowly forgot entirely. I added both D-pad and first-party PS3 controller size mentions.
The format is how I use to format on an old website where I was a reviewer. It takes some getting use to, but the numbers idea gets points across much more quickly than standard paragraphs, making the review both more informational and less time-consuming to read.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The box​
.​
.​
The controller itself​
.​
.​

Forward

[anchor='Forward']
Forward:

Hello, this is my first review here. Many of you around the website know my by now, and I wanted to wait until I was better known before making any review, so that my verdict on products could be trusted more. I will be making third-party accessory reviews for varies games systems, minus 360 because I don't have one. Please tell me what you like or dislike about my review in the comments, and if my reviews turn out to be liked overall, more to come. I will definately make another review sometime, and will take what you all say into account.

*snip
Just some format tweaking:
You can use
Code:
[h][/h]
to insert headers (those blue things). I personally think that it's a little more formal and pleasing to the eyes. But if you want to stick to your old layout, it's fine with me. I don't mind bullets/numbers either; they're easy to read and to the point.

Also using anchor link + anchor will give an overview of what you're reviewing, and also allows the user to easily jump to certain portions.
Anchor link is the one that appears as a link (in the spoiler).
Anchor is invisible when posted, and it's the place that the Anchor link will take you to.
Code:
[link='Name of Anchor']Name that is displayed[/link]
[anchor='Name of Anchor']

To be honest, the review was very well written.
I hope seeing more reviews from you. ^_^

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The box​
.​
.​
The controller itself​
.​
.​

Forward

[anchor='Forward']
Forward:

*snip
Just some format tweaking:
You can use
Code:
[h][/h]
to insert headers (those blue things). I personally think that it's a little more formal and pleasing to the eyes. But if you want to stick to your old layout, it's fine with me. I don't mind bullets/numbers either; they're easy to read and to the point.

Also using anchor link + anchor will give an overview of what you're reviewing, and also allows the user to easily jump to certain portions.
Anchor link is the one that appears as a link (in the spoiler).
Anchor is invisible when posted, and it's the place that the Anchor link will take you to.
Code:
[link='Name of Anchor']Name that is displayed[/link]
[anchor='Name of Anchor']

To be honest, the review was very well written.
I hope seeing more reviews from you. ^_^

Thanks for those, I'll be sure to both figure out exactly how, and actually use them in my next review. The headers I question, I'll see how it looks, but the anchoring sounds nice. :)

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nice review. This reminds me of the MicroCon made by MadCatz (I think)I had back on the PS2. Also, have you are are you going to do a review of the Memorex Wiimote you posted about a week or 2 ago?

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice review. This reminds me of the MicroCon made by MadCatz (I think)I had back on the PS2. Also, have you are are you going to do a review of the Memorex Wiimote you posted about a week or 2 ago?

That's one of them I plan on doing, yes, but I have a lot that I plan on doing, so I'm not entirely sure what order it'll be in.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@431 - If you mean the MINI Pro Elite, it's easily worth $40. The memorex Plus gaming pack thing, it's hard to say without doing a full review. I'll review that one next if you want.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is nothing that I was unclear on, you're the only person that misunderstood something.
As for the Memorex Controller review, Skyward Sword is all over the internet now, which is the biggest Wii Motion Plus use game I know of. I'll have the review up either very late tonight or tomorrow for the Memorex Controller, as I'll be using Skyward Sword for the majority of the review.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...