Mighty No. 9 has Mighty Delay No. 3

Master X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mighty No. 9, the crowdfunded game from Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune, has been delayed for a third time. The long-awaited title has become the poster-child for how not to run a Kickstarter campaign. In a note to backers announcing the latest setback, Inafune doesn't give a firm date for release, but says he expects it "to realistically be in spring 2016."

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/25/mighty-no-9-delayed-again/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/1473777

And the delays are, yet again - supposedly - caused by multiplayer issues.

Given how many issues they're having with MP I'm suprised they haven't decided to pull MP from the first release and add it back in in a future update. Some people would decry them pulling MP after they said it would be in, but I feel it would be a much lesser number in comparison to the people who are getting ticked off at one delay after another.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have one thing to say about people bitching about the delays for this game.

"The last guardian"
Except one is developed and funded by the company itself while the other is partially funded by the end users. Delay in The Last Guardian will only harm the company, while the other has people who already paid for the product to come out at some point (also different from a pre-order) :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone one day makes a nice video or article cataloguing the comedy of errors that was Might No 9's development. I am having a hard time keeping it all straight in my head at this point.

mediabob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, when you backed Mighty No 9 you made an investment not a purchase. That's the problem with Kickstarter, everybody thinks they are buying something or pre ordering something when they put money down. You aren't, you are making an investment, and just like any other investment it may not play out the way you hope or want. The copy of the game was a funding bonus for a certain level of donation. They could easily have a Kickstarter where no level of funding gets you a copy of the game, but of course that wouldn't be to popular.

For the record I am a backer, but I don't care about the delays because I have plenty of other crap to play, and I didn't back for a copy of the game, I backed because I wanted to see them stick it to Capcom.

In the words of Myamoto... A delayed game is eventually good, A bad game is bad forever. (unfortunately the first part seems to only apply for Nintendo)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Man, who knew this would turn out to be such a disaster?

Most people observing the kickstarter that also had a passing acquaintance with business, programming and game development as well as a healthy level of cynicism?

The initial funding ask was far far smaller than such a game would need (assuming what we are told of game dev budgets in the modern world is correct), people kept giving though and way exceeded that initial ask (possibly almost to the point it was viable if they kept things lean) but in doing that they instead feature creeped themselves well before the end of funding, equally before the end of funding we saw the abysmal community setup appear and not long after it we got some true comedy of ineptitude.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really don't get it. Inafune acts like he's never made and published a game before. I get that crowdfunding is a bit different, but still

Has he though? The business admin and PR side of things can be a nightmare and if he has mainly done game dev where he is given goals and asked to meet them... Many times I have seen those leave a place to go self employed, only to come back saying it was the admin and paperwork side of things that drove them nuts.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, when you backed Mighty No 9 you made an investment not a purchase. That's the problem with Kickstarter, everybody thinks they are buying something or pre ordering something when they put money down. You aren't, you are making an investment, and just like any other investment it may not play out the way you hope or want. The copy of the game was a funding bonus for a certain level of donation. They could easily have a Kickstarter where no level of funding gets you a copy of the game, but of course that wouldn't be to popular.

For the record I am a backer, but I don't care about the delays because I have plenty of other crap to play, and I didn't back for a copy of the game, I backed because I wanted to see them stick it to Capcom.

In the words of Myamoto... A delayed game is eventually good, A bad game is bad forever. (unfortunately the first part seems to only apply for Nintendo)

Pretty much my exact thoughts.

I have a mountain of games to play, so, one of them getting delayed is...meh? I'd rather it be finished when it's released rather than rush it out. There's really no reason TO rush it out. This is why I don't think devs should ever make release promises. I don't think i've ever seen one kept, and it's not done to trick anyone, devs just often seem to underestimate the time it'll take to finish the product.
The release date should be announced when the game is finished, rather than try set a deadline.

Reactions: chartube12

Tex_McBladeSword

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has he though? The business admin and PR side of things can be a nightmare and if he has mainly done game dev where he is given goals and asked to meet them... Many times I have seen those leave a place to go self employed, only to come back saying it was the admin and paperwork side of things that drove them nuts.

I'd like to think that, but Comcept has like 5 games under their belt already. They weren't all self-published, but I have to think the guy has a pretty good idea about how it works by now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...