ROM Hack Question Might have bricked my console

Aechylos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Okay hi, like the title says I suspect I might have bricked my console.
I was playing like normal, I set everything up at my parents place because I bought the nintendo used and I was going to stay there for quite a while so I thought why not mess around with it. I used almost a week to make sure everything was working and I played a few games on my now homebrewed switch.
Here comes the problem. I went back home, and connected it to the internet (I had safely put in a dns like some guides said and used tinfoil back home, so I wasn't that afraid of it), but apparently I forgot to put the dns settings in for the new internet and the system said it wanted to get an update for one of the games, and stupid as I was because I had forgotten I had connected to the internet I said yes, and then it said it wanted to restart afterwards. Now it won't turn on. Nada response. Only black screen. Can't turn it on, no response at all. How does a bricked console normally look? Anything you can recommend?

Edit:
Is there any way to confirm if it's bricked or not?
Tried leaving it in the recharger, like people recommended, for a couple of hours to no avail. The odds of it being bricked are quite high : /
So I messed around with my computer and discovered that my old usb key in the computer didn't work! Switched to a new usb port and it immediately discovered it in rcm.
Thank you so much for all your help and sorry for unnecessary the disturbance!

Last edited by Aechylos,

Aechylos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
You maybe are in RCM mode, try injecting a payload
I tried connecting it to the computer and see with TegraRCM but it says there's no RCM connected. I also checked in a very dark room and there was no light from the screen at all. There's supposed to be some light from the screen even if it's in rcm right?

LordRahl72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold the power button down for about a minute then try to boot into stock os. Once there check your firmware revision in system settings. You are likely now on version 9.0 which cant be hacked as of now.

D

Deleted User

you may let it charge a few hour and try 2/3 times. I hope it will work otherwisee I don't know what to do.

Aechylos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hold the power button down for about a minute then try to boot into stock os. Once there check your firmware revision in system settings. You are likely now on version 9.0 which cant be hacked as of now.
So if it is bricked, you would still be able to turn it on?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you may let it charge a few hour and try 2/3 times. I hope it will work otherwisee I don't know what to do.
It was sitting in the dock when I did this, and if I remember correctly it was fully charged : /

Not to pry too much, but is there any way I can contact you over dm anywhere? I live in Paris too.

Last edited by Aechylos,
D

Deleted User

So if it is bricked, you would still be able to turn it on?

It was sitting in the dock when I did this, and if I remember correctly it was fully charged : /

You updated to 9.0. Nintendo is hiding system updates when you load games. It will look like a game update but if you read the text it will say system update.

LordRahl72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's likely not bricked. It isn't easy to brick the Switch unless you were trying. Most likely you are trying to load into custom firmware after you updated your Switch to the as of yet supported 9.0 firmware.

So what can I do? I can't even make it boot up. Remove the internal memory?

Holding the power button down for about a minute should force a full reboot of the console.

wii07

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hold down the power button for 15 seconds (official time for this tegra chip is 12 seconds). Than release it an press it again for 1 second and release. Than, the switch should reboot. If not, its bricked or the batteries are empty.

Last edited by wii07,

Aechylos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
It's likely not bricked. It isn't easy to brick the Switch unless you were trying. Most likely you are trying to load into custom firmware after you updated your Switch to the as of yet supported 9.0 firmware.

Holding the power button down for about a minute should force a full reboot of the console.
I've tried that MANY times. But I get no response from the console. Should I try and remove the battery? Also the update time was like 3 seconds long and immediately afterwards it said "The update is finished and the console will now reboot" or something very similar to that.

Last edited by Aechylos,

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
even if you weren't connected to the internet, why would you say 'Yes' to an update confirmation, knowing that you're in CFW?
i don't get it, do people just keep pressing A without reading when there are popups?

anyway, remember to take out your SD card when you try to boot normally through OFW.
if you try to redo the RCM jig thing (with your SD card in), and injecting it the hekate payload, does it get into hekate?

Aechylos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
even if you weren't connected to the internet, why would you say 'Yes' to an update confirmation, knowing that you're in CFW?
i don't get it, do people just keep pressing A without reading when there are popups?

anyway, remember to take out your SD card when you try to boot normally through OFW.
if you try to redo the RCM jig thing (with your SD card in), and injecting it the hekate payload, does it get into hekate?
Well the reason I said yes to updates was because I've installed a lot of games and they all wanted updates and with tinfoil it updated them, so I made it go for tinfoil every time it asked for an update, which make the system think it updated it or it actually updated (idk which but it worked afterwards). But it seemed to work and since I had a dns setting that should block me from the nintendos servers I wasn't too worried (I was the first time but then it went fine). I had just forgotten that I had to put new dns settings in every time I connect to a new internet.
I've tried both, both with or without the sd card, and tried to turn it off with or without the jig and no response no matter what. Just purely black screen, nothing else.

Last edited by Aechylos,
D

Deleted User

i don't get it, do people just keep pressing A without reading when there are popups

It's very easy to get fooled. Last time (8.0.1) I was developping my homebrew and for some reason have disabled 90dns (eshop access most likely), the multiple title launch and the multiple update popup (they don't come only when you launch a title) got me. Maybe you are smarter that anyone but it can happen to you too. be vigilant :)

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I avoid accidental updates by being in airplane mode and blocking internet access via my router :D
If you updated to 9.0 you get to wait :D

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
Well the reason I said yes to updates was because I've installed a lot of games and they all wanted updates and with tinfoil it updated them, so I made it go for tinfoil every time it asked for an update, which make the system think it updated it or it actually updated (idk which but it worked afterwards). But it seemed to work and since I had a dns setting that should block me from the nintendos servers I wasn't too worried (I was the first time but then it went fine). I had just forgotten that I had to put new dns settings in every time I connect to a new internet.
I've tried both, both with or without the sd card, and tried to turn it off with or without the jig and no response no matter what. Just purely black screen, nothing else.

you mean you tried to go to RCM mode using the jig AND tried to inject payload via TegraRCMGUI? Does your PC detect your Switch?

Maybe you are smarter that anyone but it can happen to you too. be vigilant :)

I'm not even smart, if anything i read slowly. lol

Aechylos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
you mean you tried to go to RCM mode using the jig AND tried to inject payload via TegraRCMGUI? Does your PC detect your Switch?
The problem isn't only there. The computer doesn't detect it no, both with or without the jig. The problem is as if the switch doesn't even notice if you press the power button or not, is this what is usual for a bricked switch? Because what I've seen it usually just shows the nintendo logo an then turns off (watched some videoes about other bricked switches).

Last edited by Aechylos,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun