Microsoft Will Offer Xbox 360 for Five More Years.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Vidboy10, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Vidboy10
    OP

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    Aug. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp. will continue to offer the Xbox 360 for the next five years, expanding the lifespan of the console to 10 years, said Chris Lewis, vice president for interactive entertainment business in Europe.

The company is trying to lengthen the Xbox 360’s shelf life with new features and services, such as the motion-sensing Kinect device, in a bid to wring more profit from the machine. Consoles are typically unprofitable in their first few years because the cost of materials takes time to drop. The Kinect accessory goes on sale in November.

“Kinect really gives us, I think, a very genuine additional five years,” Lewis said in an interview today at the Gamescom computer-games fair in Cologne, Germany. “What Kinect does is broaden us out to users that we weren’t addressing in the past.”

Microsoft’s decision marks a change in strategy from the first Xbox generation, when Microsoft released a new model after just four years. Rival makers of gaming consoles are adopting a similar approach. Yesterday, Sony Corp. Executive Vice President Kazuo Hirai said he thinks the PlayStation 3 will also have a 10-year life, helped by his company’s own motion-sensing controller. That device, called Move, comes out in September.

Different Technologies

Both companies are playing catch-up with Nintendo Co., whose motion-activated Wii controller helped give it the lead in the market. With Sony and Nintendo’s approach, the user moves the controller to direct the game. Microsoft’s Kinect is a box that sits near the console and tracks the movement of the player’s body several feet away.

Microsoft, based in Redmond, Washington, might release a new console while the Xbox 360 is still on sale, “but we’re not fixated on that right now,” Lewis said.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has said the release of his company’s next-generation console hinges on 3-D features. The company may wait until more than 30 percent of televisions in homes have 3-D capability. Microsoft’s Lewis also said it’s too early for 3-D gaming to take off.

“We are two to three years away from that, till the price point comes down, till the experience is sufficiently social, that you don’t sit there with big glasses on and don’t talk to your family,” he said. “That will happen, there’s no doubt.”

Xbox Live

The current Xbox’s popularity is supported by the Live online gaming service, which probably broke the $1 billion revenue mark for the first time in the past fiscal year. Lewis declined to give sales figures for the service.

Xbox Live, which currently has 25 million users, gets one new user every five seconds, Lewis said. The subscription base rose by more than 30 percent in the fiscal year ended in June, he said. “We anticipate to grow by at least the same rate -- if not faster -- this year,” Lewis said.

At Gamescom, Microsoft announced that the service will be available in an additional nine countries, including Russia, Poland and the Czech Republic. That brings the total to 35.

Microsoft’s entertainment and devices division, mostly made up of sales from Xbox and mobile-phone software, had revenue of $8.06 billion in the past fiscal year, or 13 percent of the company’s total. Profit for the unit rose more than sixfold to $678 million.[/p]
    [​IMG]Source

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Seems like a reasonable time frame as by the end of its lifespan they'll be easing into a new console.

And it's nice to see the Xbox still going story, I do enjoy mine.

3. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Even though I have doubts about how well Kinect will work, its good to see that it is giving it a longer lifespan. I only got mine a couple years ago and felt I had left it too late and a new console was right around the corner, but I was (happily) wrong.

4. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    seems like it wasn't too bad of a move for me to pick up ps3 and 360 this year [​IMG]

5. CJL18

Member CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    wooohooo five more years of not buying games!

6. Pimpmynintendo

Member Pimpmynintendo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I bet a lot of those "new" users are banned players from MW2.

7. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    So 'bout time when new consoles come out , is when they can take advantage of the 3D at the right time?

8. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    yaayy im glad they are doing this i just bought my 360 [​IMG] no reason to make a new one anyway, 360/ps3 already have amazing graphics, so a new system would really be a setback since devs would have to learn how to code for it and so on, i think this is a good move

9. Joktan

Member Joktan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yes!!!!! I just bought a 360 a few days ago and five years is great:)

10. Revolution [9]

Member Revolution [9] GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm hoping that that it's at least 5 more years considering I'm still debating whether or not I should get the 360. :/

11. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    get it. best decision i ever made. and you should get one of the old school models on sale, they are quiet if you put games on hdd, unless you really want n wireless

12. Aeladya

Member Aeladya *mistressOFtheCLOW

United States
    I'm glad it will last another 5 years, I plan on getting one next week. I have enough now for the console itself (the cheap arcade version), but I wanna get at least Final Fantasy 13 and I should have a few more days of babysitting this week [​IMG], if not I'll borrow some money from my sister until then.

13. normankk

Newcomer normankk Newbie

United States
    5 more years? I think it's pretty long for me, but I think it's the time for me to get on....if I'm possible

14. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    Well that's good. I

15. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    It is good that PS3 follow this pattern as well. As for the Wii, it better offers something big that is comparable to Move and Kinect. Motion Plus is just not enough.

16. mehrab2603

Member mehrab2603 GBAtemp Fan

Bangladesh
    i think you guys are misunderstanding this if you think new console will not arrive in the next 5 years.i think a new console will arrive but xbox 360 will have continued support for 5 years along with that new console.kinda like the PS2 support along with PS3 support.

17. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    And when Kinect fades into oblivion after a year or two, then what? Will they keep supporting the 360 or will they dump a new console onto the market?

18. megawalk

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    5....years...
    i will hold them to that.
    even if 2012 is true
    i WILL HOLD THEM to that [​IMG]

19. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    That's a long time, didn't expect this at all!
    Damn, I thought maximum 3 years for it, but this is just something else....

20. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    They said this before.
    I would prefer that they release a new console, now. Nintendo's next console will be shown soon (2011) and I don't think they want Nintendo to get a head-start.