Microsoft Surface Windows RT retails at $199?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Santee, Aug 15, 2012.

Aug 15, 2012
  1. Santee
    OP

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    [​IMG]

http://www.engadget....ft-surface-199/
    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/260889/microsoft_surface_coud_be_a_huge_hit_at_199.html
    http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-microsoft-surface-199-20120814,0,1498017.story

I didn't really want it before, but at that price I'm finding it hard to resist, I can't even begin to imagine the modding community that will sprout up.

2. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    Talk about competitive pricing.

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    should be labeled as rumor

also there is pretty much no software/developer support atm, I feel it will turn into another zune fiasco

4. Santee
    OP

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    Windows phone 8, the RT (ARM version), and the regular desktop version all share the same code, meaning that if something gets developed for one it will most likely be compatible with the other. Which to me is the most compelling part, (possible) price aside.

5. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Windows RT and Windows 8 have different architectures so this isn't really true...

6. Santee
    OP

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    http://www.windowsit...-devices-143980
    I don't really know what Microsoft considers apps , but seems as though some things will be compatible.

Read up on it a little more, seems as it can't run anything involving x86/x64, but the compatibility for apps is still there.

7. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    Is this speculation and if this is true wonder how much the pro version will cost.

8. Santee
    OP

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    Apparently they have an inside source, although if it is true, I can't imagine the pro version going much higher than $599, $699 at the most.

9. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    This is great news if it is true! Since they said that pricing would be like ultrabooks on the pro version, I feared that it would be very expensive since ultrabooks here in sweden costs around $2000. Now, I don't think the pro version will be 10 times more expensive than the RT version :)
    If the pro version is expensive however, I will probably get this RT version just because of the price!

10. Lastly

Member Lastly Honorable UltimateAdmiin - Highest Rank

United States
    Great price, but I'm interested in the Pro version.

We're talking about full-fledge OS here. A normal i5 Laptop is at least $500. Now add in a touchscreen plus more.

11. Centrix

Member Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

United States
    I am intending on buying one but the Pro edition and I'm guessing it will around cost 300+ for that if the RT is only gonna cost 199$ at launch, here's guessing lol :P

12. Shuji1987

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    How is that even possible? You can't just slap an x86/x64 program expecting it to work on ARM based devices or the other way around. That is just impossible seriously. Seriously if you don't know the difference between the two architectures don't make wrong assumptions and even saying others are wrong when in fact they are right.

I would say they are talking about the current app store for their tablets and phones. If 90% was already compatible that would be a nice feat, but still nothing to brag about seeing how they're appstore is pretty much empty unlike the ones from Google and Apple.

13. Santee
    OP

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    I never said anyone was wrong, I simply posted what I found and what has been said. If what Microsoft has said is indeed true then it looks like they have managed to make the apps compatabible with the other versions. Never implied that x64/x86 would work either, just stated that they wouldn't.

I'm not trying to lead anyone astray just posting facts bud.

Guess its success all depends on Microsoft supposed cross platformish compatability .

14. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Windows RT will run all Metro applications (in theory). There's probably a requirement somewhere in the Windows Store which says your app must be RT compatible or Metro runs Bytecode (i.e. Java or similar) instead of Native Code (i.e. C, C++, etc.) so they just need to code a virtual machine for both x86_64 and ARM and all Metro Apps will run.

Edit: After a quick Google it seems that Metro does indeed run on bytecode (Javascript, HTML, etc.) so unless your Metro app needs native code in it somewhere you should be able to work across the 2 platforms. I'm sure its possible to compile the native code for the 2 different platforms as well since the programming language needs to be converted into the instruction language for the processor to understand.

15. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    For a device that is designed to make the best use of Windows 8 with the Metro UI, sounds good.

It's just that Windows 8 shouldn't have been exclusively developed with Surface in mind...

16. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Windows 8 with adequate power on a tablet.

$199 sounds very juicy.

17. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Windows 8 is designed with every Windows product in mind.

Also, budget tablets are the hip new thing these days, so having a budget model and a high-end model isn't too surprising. There's rumors of Apple making a budget iPad as well so this does have some credibility.

18. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    If you ask me, Windows 8 is designed at the expense of the desktop experience.
    They've done away with the Start button and the standard start menu, gone are the days you can click the button and click a program in the list. Or alternative, hitting the Win Key, typing in (part of) the program name and hitting enter.
    Now you have to navigate through the Metro UI which is much more time consuming than it needs to be, and consumes your entire display before returning to Windows.

UI design should not be taking steps backwards like this. These are suitable designs for a touch-only interface but for a full desktop experience using keyboard and mouse, this hampers productivity.

2 people like this.
  19. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Looks like Microsoft is getting serious about these tablet doodads.

20. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    They need to, it's where the market is shifting to.

People are finding that they don't need a large machine to web browse or enjoy music and video any more.

I think iPads still need to be connected to a computer of sorts for the initial setup, but things like firmware updates and media library management are now features of iOS, forgoing the need of a PC or Mac to perform these tasks.