Microsoft Disabling Dev Mode Access

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just a heads up, it seems that MS will disable 'inactive' Dev Mode accounts. I received this email:

We have disabled the Windows and Xbox enrollment in your Microsoft Partner Center account because it did not have an active presence in the Store. For reference, see the Developer Code of Conduct (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/store-developer-code-of-conduct) which says that an active presence in the Store must be maintained.

When I try to go into dev mode on my One X, I am unable to activate dev mode with the webpage showing "Access Restricted".

Fortunately I wasn't a heavy user, but I can see this causing problems for others.

edit:

Also, this email appeared in my junk folder on the Outlook app, but as far as I can tell it is legitimate given the above.

Update:

Hopefully MS will be fixing this soon:
1641465683249.png

Source:
via: @Purple_Shyguy

Last edited by tech3475,

Aerocool

Man in a Box
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh nooo ffs Microsoft…. I really praised them when they did Dev Mode because I thought it was a great way to give the hardcore fans a way run emulators without us having to find a hack to run emulators and homebrew. Well, it didn’t run properly anyway (resources are heavily limited afaik) but it could have been soooo cool. Well, it’s Microsoft, they don’t really care about that stuff unfortunately.

Look at the 360 scene, it’s more than dead. Last time I tried even PSX emulation ran like poop and N64 was buggy as heck and it won’t be better for us One users :/

Aerocool

Man in a Box
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Isn't RA working in Retail Mode as well? Searching for obscure whitelists or something like that.

Yes you basically have to find someone who privately uploads a build to the store and let them whitelist you to download it. Those get frequently taken down tho and are not officially supported by the retro arch team unfortunately

Reactions: N7Kopper

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just got this email myself and thought it was the usual scam/phishing mail, but it seems it's actually from Microsoft and isn't a scam at all.

I actually use my dev account to test games I develop myself but I haven't published anything to the MS store.
Now I need to have a game already on the store to be able to continue to test games I'm making on my consoles?

It makes no sense.

Last edited by DoobyDude,

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I must admit I haven't entered devmode in years...
I ought to test this when I'm home, I haven't received any e-mail what so ever.
You can check by going here https://partner.microsoft.com/xboxconfig/devices
Obviously making sure to be signed in with the account that has the dev licence.

You'll get an Access Restricted message if you've been deactivated.

Seems wrong to me, If you had to pay to be able get the Dev access anyways, then they can just take it away.
Do you mean they "can't" just take it away?
It was paid for - a dev licence is a one time payment of about $20-$25 - but obviously they can take it away.

Reactions: BigOnYa

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can check by going here https://partner.microsoft.com/xboxconfig/devices
Obviously making sure to be signed in with the account that has the dev licence.

You'll get an Access Restricted message if you've been deactivated.

Do you mean they "can't" just take it away?
It was paid for - a dev licence is a one time payment of about $20-$25 - but obviously they can take it away.

Seems they deactivated mine as well.
Welp, so be it I suppose :')

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems they deactivated mine as well.
Welp, so be it I suppose :')
It's obviously to stop people using the emulators and dev mode apps, but there will be a lot of people getting deactivated who just enjoy noodling/learning with Unity etc and who never intend to release anything (or just haven't yet!) but who paid for a dev licence so they could see/play/test their games on a real console.

Last edited by DoobyDude,

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How did you try and reactivate it?
None of the links to "contact support for assistance" on the "Access Denied" page work for me.
i used the ai chat and requested human support in there. that person couldnt help me directly but told me an email address i should write to.
reportapp [at] microsoft [dot] com

the answer i got:
Hello,

At your request, we reviewed your account. The account has been reinstated, and it should be available in Partner Center within 24 hours.

Your account must maintain an active presence in the Store. Today, we have restored your account, but you must publish an app or game product within 90 days to maintain active presence.

Please let us know if you need any additional assistance.

Thank you,
[name redacted]
Microsoft Store Team

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i used the ai chat and requested human support in there. that person couldnt help me directly but told me an email address i should write to.
reportapp [at] microsoft [dot] com

the answer i got:
Sent them an email, thanks!

Will start prepping "Pong 2022 - 1bit Edition" for release later tonight!

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey