MicroSDHC Speed

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Aurora003, May 11, 2011.

May 11, 2011

MicroSDHC Speed by Aurora003 at 7:26 PM (798 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Aurora003
    OP

Newcomer Aurora003 Member

United States
    Hi. I'm thinking about buying a new MicroSDHC card (8GB, Class 10) for my Acekard 2.1. Currently I'm using 4GB Class6. I'm unsure if the card will work well with Class 10 speed. Anyone have any knowledge with card speed that can help me?

2. DSdonkey77

Member DSdonkey77 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Class 10 would work for sure! It is overkill though, so is class 6, class 4 will do just fine, you won't even notice a difference while playing, some class 2s even work. The only time you would notice a difference is when you are transferring files from your computer, but that in it self doesn't justify the price differnce.

BTW, I use a Sandisk 8GB Class 4, brand is important! Get a reputable one, if you get an oem one, check the reviews carefully.

Edit: My friend uses a 8GB class 4 OEM card in his 2.1 and has no problems at all [​IMG]

3. SpiralTrance

Newcomer SpiralTrance Member

United Kingdom
    how can you tell what class your micro sd is?

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It's printed on the MicroSD in a little circle.

5. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    For me it's an appreciable difference. Mostly to do with how long it takes to load or save files. At least in Pokemon I noticed that a faster-class card tends to save its data a lot faster when loaded. But again, once your SD card is loaded with the games and has enough space for saves and the like left over, the class rating probably doesn't amount for much in-game improvement, unlike with consoles. [​IMG]

6. Hakuromatsu

Newcomer Hakuromatsu Newbie

United States
    The "Class" refers to write speed, not read speed, so as codezer said, you're only really going to see improvements when writing SAVs for games like Black/White and WarioWare DIY.

In fact, there may even be a slight negative correlation between write and read speeds. I use 3 microSDs: a Class-2 SanDisk, a Class-4 Kingston (or whatever Kingston decided to re-brand for me) and a Class-6 Transcend. According to ATTO Benchmark, my SanDisk is the fastest reader and my Transcend is the slowest. It's a tradeoff.

7. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    If I had to buy a new MicroSHC today, I'd probably have to go with an A-DATA or Transcend due to the fact they usually live up to the job and aren't made by huge companies that are bound to make mistakes.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Class does only determine write speed, but in general a class-6 is going to be made better than a class-2.