MicroSDHC Class 6 - TWEWY runs OK?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by CoconutCake, Dec 16, 2008.

Dec 16, 2008
  1. CoconutCake
    OP

Member CoconutCake GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm just researching flash cards and MircoSDHC cards, and read about different speeds and classes etc. It's a bit confusing and complicated.

I read that TWEWY has problems (what kind exactly?) with some cards. If one buys a Class 6 MicroSDHC (the fastest speed) will TWEWY run normally? Same for the Castlevania games I suppose? I was thinking about an 8GB MicroSDHC, or maybe even 16GB eventually.

I may also wait for the new DSi version of the Cyclo, just in case I get a DSi someday (I have a Lite now).

I own the actual DS carts of these games, but am interested in having them playably backed up onto a single card. Seems it would be very handy, plus then I can use homebrew software too.

Thanks for your help. And this site is really great, so much info here, very impressed.

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    TWEWY definitely won't be a problem, but Castlevania will always lag when there's a lot of things happening on the screen (seeing as a retail version of it can lag too).

3. CoconutCake
    OP

United States
    So it will run like the actual cart then? Or are you saying it lags more than the actual cart?

As an example, I recently bought Castlevania Order of Ecclesia - will that lag more from SDHC than my cart?

Glad to hear TWEWY will run like normal. Thanks!

4. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    It'll run around 98% of the actual cart's speed, as an estimate. Even the best MicroSDs can not run any game at 100% speed.

5. Priss

Member Priss GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I had Castlevania: DoS freeze on the RTS using my -A-DATA 4GB Class6 SDHC- a couple of times.
    Never came across LAG or DEATH FREEZE using my -Kingston 1GB (Japan)-. Played through DoS PoR and OoE on it. (over 60hrs game play combined)
    Have yet to try Twewy. [​IMG]

6. Isaiah

Member Isaiah The Conductor

Australia
    You havent played twewy yet!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ummmmmmmm ok twewy is awesome [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. k96gnome

Newcomer k96gnome Newbie

United States
    Im using a CycloDS Evolution with the SanDisk Mobile Ultra 8GB Class 6 SDHC and TWEWY runs just fine.

However, I can't say I recommend using such a high capacity/speed card because it drains power like a mofo. I've confirmed it's not just my DS by using retail carts(I get a good 10-15 hours on the third brightness level) yet I can only get 5 hours tops with the CycloDS and this 8GB Class 6 SDHC.

So yes, TWEWY and every other "problem game" seems to work great on such a card but It seems to draw significantly more power.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to why the above combination has such a drastic effect on my battery life, then please message me.

8. Zarkz

Member Zarkz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    PLAY IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. CoconutCake
    OP

United States
    That's very interesting info. I would guess that the higher speed of data transfer is just requiring much more power.

Do you have access to a lower capacity class 6 card? I wonder it's the size (8GB) or the transfer speed (class 6) that is the culprit.

Also, how about a normal 1GB SD for example? Less power used than SDHC?

Pretty scary to think about if I get a DSi someday and buy a CycloDSi (if/whenn they make one). I guess I'd get maybe one hour battery time! :-P

10. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Is it confirmed that higher capacity MicroSDs drain battery life faster?

11. k96gnome

Newcomer k96gnome Newbie

United States
    I've used a 2GB Kingston microSD(not sure of the class but I've googled the model # with no results) that I'd been using for my phone with a battery life similar to that with retail card and TWEWY experiences no noticable slow downs on it. I wish I knew what the class rating was this card but my guess is it's class 4. This could mean that size and speed both have an effect.

If anyone has different capacity microSD cards of the same Class then please share your experiences with battery life

I also feel that it's important to note that I've filled up 7 of the 8GB. Maybe the power needed to load the folders has some effect?