Hacking MicroSDHC Class 6 - TWEWY runs OK?

CoconutCake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just researching flash cards and MircoSDHC cards, and read about different speeds and classes etc. It's a bit confusing and complicated.

I read that TWEWY has problems (what kind exactly?) with some cards. If one buys a Class 6 MicroSDHC (the fastest speed) will TWEWY run normally? Same for the Castlevania games I suppose? I was thinking about an 8GB MicroSDHC, or maybe even 16GB eventually.

I may also wait for the new DSi version of the Cyclo, just in case I get a DSi someday (I have a Lite now).

I own the actual DS carts of these games, but am interested in having them playably backed up onto a single card. Seems it would be very handy, plus then I can use homebrew software too.

Thanks for your help. And this site is really great, so much info here, very impressed.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TWEWY definitely won't be a problem, but Castlevania will always lag when there's a lot of things happening on the screen (seeing as a retail version of it can lag too).

CoconutCake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
TWEWY definitely won't be a problem, but Castlevania will always lag when there's a lot of things happening on the screen (seeing as a retail version of it can lag too).

So it will run like the actual cart then? Or are you saying it lags more than the actual cart?

As an example, I recently bought Castlevania Order of Ecclesia - will that lag more from SDHC than my cart?

Glad to hear TWEWY will run like normal. Thanks!

Priss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I had Castlevania: DoS freeze on the RTS using my -A-DATA 4GB Class6 SDHC- a couple of times.
Never came across LAG or DEATH FREEZE using my -Kingston 1GB (Japan)-. Played through DoS PoR and OoE on it. (over 60hrs game play combined)
Have yet to try Twewy.
rolleyes.gif

Isaiah

The Conductor
Trophies
XP
Country
Priss said:
I had Castlevania: DoS freeze on the RTS using my -A-DATA 4GB Class6 SDHC- a couple of times.
Never came across LAG or DEATH FREEZE using my -Kingston 1GB (Japan)-. Played through DoS PoR and OoE on it. (over 60hrs game play combined)
Have yet to try Twewy.
rolleyes.gif
You havent played twewy yet!!!
wtf.gif
wtf.gif
wtf.gif
ummmmmmmm ok twewy is awesome
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif

k96gnome

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im using a CycloDS Evolution with the SanDisk Mobile Ultra 8GB Class 6 SDHC and TWEWY runs just fine.

However, I can't say I recommend using such a high capacity/speed card because it drains power like a mofo. I've confirmed it's not just my DS by using retail carts(I get a good 10-15 hours on the third brightness level) yet I can only get 5 hours tops with the CycloDS and this 8GB Class 6 SDHC.

So yes, TWEWY and every other "problem game" seems to work great on such a card but It seems to draw significantly more power.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to why the above combination has such a drastic effect on my battery life, then please message me.

CoconutCake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
k96gnome said:
Im using a CycloDS Evolution with the SanDisk Mobile Ultra 8GB Class 6 SDHC and TWEWY runs just fine.

However, I can't say I recommend using such a high capacity/speed card because it drains power like a mofo. I've confirmed it's not just my DS by using retail carts(I get a good 10-15 hours on the third brightness level) yet I can only get 5 hours tops with the CycloDS and this 8GB Class 6 SDHC.

So yes, TWEWY and every other "problem game" seems to work great on such a card but It seems to draw significantly more power.

That's very interesting info. I would guess that the higher speed of data transfer is just requiring much more power.

Do you have access to a lower capacity class 6 card? I wonder it's the size (8GB) or the transfer speed (class 6) that is the culprit.

Also, how about a normal 1GB SD for example? Less power used than SDHC?

Pretty scary to think about if I get a DSi someday and buy a CycloDSi (if/whenn they make one). I guess I'd get maybe one hour battery time! :-P

k96gnome

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CoconutCake said:
k96gnome said:

That's very interesting info. I would guess that the higher speed of data transfer is just requiring much more power.

Do you have access to a lower capacity class 6 card? I wonder it's the size (8GB) or the transfer speed (class 6) that is the culprit.

Also, how about a normal 1GB SD for example? Less power used than SDHC?

Pretty scary to think about if I get a DSi someday and buy a CycloDSi (if/whenn they make one). I guess I'd get maybe one hour battery time! :-P

I've used a 2GB Kingston microSD(not sure of the class but I've googled the model # with no results) that I'd been using for my phone with a battery life similar to that with retail card and TWEWY experiences no noticable slow downs on it. I wish I knew what the class rating was this card but my guess is it's class 4. This could mean that size and speed both have an effect.

If anyone has different capacity microSD cards of the same Class then please share your experiences with battery life

I also feel that it's important to note that I've filled up 7 of the 8GB. Maybe the power needed to load the folders has some effect?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1