Hacking MicroSD reader not working?

Silent Storm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yesterday, I was moving some files in my MicroSD but then all of a sudden it disconnected from my computer, I thought it was the port at first so I tried connecting the card reader to two different computers but were not able to read it, so is the card reader gone bust or is it the microsd that isn't working? (I tried using the sd card and it worked fine in my acekard 2.1 green pcb)

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Silent Storm said:
Yesterday, I was moving some files in my MicroSD but then all of a sudden it disconnected from my computer, I thought it was the port at first so I tried connecting the card reader to two different computers but were not able to read it, so is the card reader gone bust or is it the microsd that isn't working? (I tried using the sd card and it worked fine in my acekard 2.1 green pcb)

try another card reader ... probably a sure fire way to find out if its bust or not (The reader)
smile.gif

Couugghhing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be that it fried. Since this happened while you were using it, perhaps the computer overheated the memory card.

Or, sometimes you can have the computer read your memory indirectly instead of directly into the port. For example, you can put the microSD into a microXD adapter. Then, put the XD card into a camera, and plug the camera into the computer. You could also do this with a phone, but I think phone capabilities are the equivalent of Class 2, so no matter how fast your memory card is, it will send info pretty slow.
I had to do this(camera) to one of my memory cards way back because I "sort of" fried my memory card - just enough so no computer would read it directly.

jmckutchin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those cheapy SD readers that come with the Acekard (and most others) tend to break pretty easily. Buy a nice one from newegg (I believe they have a 2GB kingston w/ sd reader kit for 8 bucks) or buy a multi card reader. I bought a Targus brand 32 or so card read that I believe I picked up at Target. Works fine with the SD adapter.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can tell if the SD card is busted because it will heat up enough to feel discomforting if you touch it while plugged in.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Silent Storm said:
If the SD card is working alright in the acekard, then is it an indication that only the reader is busted?
Most likely - yes. If the microSD/microSDHC still works with your Acekard 2, but not with your microSD/microSDHC-reader then it's most likely the reader's fault. Although I've seen cases where a faulty microSD/microSDHC-reader can "half-brick" the memorycard so that it can't be accessed from the computer even with a new reader. That however is not very likely.

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
definitely sounds like a reader problem. the card reader that came with the earlier acekard 2's, with the plastic connector and acekard branding, is terrible - if that's what you're using, i'd try something else. get a cheapo one off dealextreme if you don't mind waiting, otherwise go to a shop and pay through the nose for something of slightly better quality (the e-blue ones from maplins are really nice)

Silent Storm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the posts, I ordered a new reader as well as an Acekard 2.1 for a friend that brought me Mario Kart Wii. (I ordered the same reader for him so he doesn't have the same problem)

dukenukethis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reader that came with my M3 Real crapped out after like 2 weeks, new readers are really cheap, I've bought a couple spares in case any of mine take a dive.

Briankealing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The MicroSD readers should work for about a week, then they just won't.

Like, its only worth 50 cents. I paid for the compact edition because the box looked prettier
biggrin.gif

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I still use the reader that came with my Acekard (several months ago) and it hangs on my keyring...

Though the card does heat up when plugged in, I don't think it's too much of a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass