MicroSD reader not working?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Silent Storm, Dec 4, 2008.

Dec 4, 2008
  1. Silent Storm
    OP

Member Silent Storm GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Yesterday, I was moving some files in my MicroSD but then all of a sudden it disconnected from my computer, I thought it was the port at first so I tried connecting the card reader to two different computers but were not able to read it, so is the card reader gone bust or is it the microsd that isn't working? (I tried using the sd card and it worked fine in my acekard 2.1 green pcb)

2. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

try another card reader ... probably a sure fire way to find out if its bust or not (The reader) [​IMG]

3. Couugghhing

Newcomer Couugghhing Member

United States
    It could be that it fried. Since this happened while you were using it, perhaps the computer overheated the memory card.

Or, sometimes you can have the computer read your memory indirectly instead of directly into the port. For example, you can put the microSD into a microXD adapter. Then, put the XD card into a camera, and plug the camera into the computer. You could also do this with a phone, but I think phone capabilities are the equivalent of Class 2, so no matter how fast your memory card is, it will send info pretty slow.
    I had to do this(camera) to one of my memory cards way back because I "sort of" fried my memory card - just enough so no computer would read it directly.

4. Silent Storm
    OP

United Kingdom
    I sure hope not, but its a possibility.

This is quite frustrating.

5. jmckutchin

Member jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Those cheapy SD readers that come with the Acekard (and most others) tend to break pretty easily. Buy a nice one from newegg (I believe they have a 2GB kingston w/ sd reader kit for 8 bucks) or buy a multi card reader. I bought a Targus brand 32 or so card read that I believe I picked up at Target. Works fine with the SD adapter.

6. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You can tell if the SD card is busted because it will heat up enough to feel discomforting if you touch it while plugged in.

7. Silent Storm
    OP

United Kingdom
    If the SD card is working alright in the acekard, then is it an indication that only the reader is busted?

8. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Most likely - yes. If the microSD/microSDHC still works with your Acekard 2, but not with your microSD/microSDHC-reader then it's most likely the reader's fault. Although I've seen cases where a faulty microSD/microSDHC-reader can "half-brick" the memorycard so that it can't be accessed from the computer even with a new reader. That however is not very likely.

9. bollocks

Member bollocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    definitely sounds like a reader problem. the card reader that came with the earlier acekard 2's, with the plastic connector and acekard branding, is terrible - if that's what you're using, i'd try something else. get a cheapo one off dealextreme if you don't mind waiting, otherwise go to a shop and pay through the nose for something of slightly better quality (the e-blue ones from maplins are really nice)

10. Silent Storm
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for all the posts, I ordered a new reader as well as an Acekard 2.1 for a friend that brought me Mario Kart Wii. (I ordered the same reader for him so he doesn't have the same problem)

11. dukenukethis

Newcomer dukenukethis Advanced Member

United States
    The reader that came with my M3 Real crapped out after like 2 weeks, new readers are really cheap, I've bought a couple spares in case any of mine take a dive.

12. Briankealing

Member Briankealing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The MicroSD readers should work for about a week, then they just won't.

Like, its only worth 50 cents. I paid for the compact edition because the box looked prettier [​IMG]

13. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    I still use the reader that came with my Acekard (several months ago) and it hangs on my keyring...

Though the card does heat up when plugged in, I don't think it's too much of a problem.