Hacking MicroSD in Canada?

nbcz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was just looking around for a good, but reasonably priced MicroSD card in Canada. It seems that we are well over priced compared to the US. I checked on futureshop for the Kingston 1GB and it's $79.99.

The same card is only $13.99 + $4.99SH at newegg.com

Just wondering where all the Canadians are buying their MicroSD cards from.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In which province do you live within Canada?

I bought mine from www.canadacomputers.com. The currency they have on their website are all CAD. I didn't buy online though, I went directly to their shop. There's a 1GB microSD w/ adapter for 29.99 and if you goto their store directly and ask for a discount, they'll give you one. At least I hope, cause that's what I did. A little more over priced then the other US websites, but it's still decent.

It's a Kingmax 1GB. I have it and it's running fine the way it is. I need to test Castlevania though to see if it freezes.

Baha

Trophies
XP
Country
I was going to buy mine from www.canadacomputers.com because they were having a new years special ($29.99)but when I got to the store the special was over ($49.99)
frown.gif
. But I got lucky because a store like 1-2 blocks over (ROT Computer, they have a website: http://www.rotcomputer.com/ was selling it for $38 + tax) So if you live in Toronto, you can check them out. I got a Japan kingston microsd from them.

eltia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't buy from Futureshop or Bestbuy... Their MicroSD are (severely) overpriced. Canadacomputers has reasonable prices but probably not the best bargain you can find. (If you are looking for Kingston 1GB MicroSD Made in Japan, Canadacomputers doesn't seem to have it.)

I got my Kingston 1 GB Made in Japan from a U.S. eBay merchant (item# 270082272892). The card is cheap enough that when it went through customs, you won't pay any taxes.
smile.gif

Spotpuff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NCIX.com has a 1gb corsair on sale for $23. I got one last week for $29 + $5 shipping and it's a good card. I don't think it can run CPOR though, at least I haven't been able to, but every other game works fine.

WongD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ca.buy.com has kingston 1gb on sale for $23.99 plus 5% discount and free shipping. Not sure whether is Japan one or made in Taiwan one, will find out tomorrow when it arrives.

kurono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just bought my microSD today for $24.99 at CTY Computers, right next to the CanadaComputers in downtown Toronto on College St.. It's a Kingston 1GB made in Japan, so it's an awesome deal.
Link: CTY

If you don't mind buying online, you can buy it from Buy.com Canada. According to the thread on RedFlagDeals, some people have been getting made in Japan Kingstons, and some have gotten made in Taiwan, so it's all luck there.
Link: Buy.com - Canada

Don't buy from BestBuy or Futureshop. They are only good for price matching.
smile.gif
If you do want to buy from BestBuy or Futureshop, print out the page from Buy.com Canada and price match it. Also, make Buy.com has it in stock or BestBuy and Futureshop won't price match. As of right now, I know for sure that the BestBuy at Dundas and Bloor has made in Japan Kingstons.

Good Luck

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Why does everybody think that Kingston is the best when in most cases (especially in Canada) when Kingmax is not only easier to find but is also cheaper and better. Their Micro SD cards are very quick if not the fastest and come in all sizes. (From 256MB to 4GB)

nbcz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
awesome. thanks for your replies.
Where would I get a kingmax from. I don't think I've erver heard of this.

I think what I'm going to do is what Kurono suggested and print off the page for price matching. This way I don't have to wait for shipping.

Spotpuff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that buy.com canada site seems pretty good although they only have free shipping on orders over $30, so you'd have to order 2 cards. PST applies in Ontario as well. Still, 2 1GB cards for $50 is damned good.

NCIX delivery was next day with express shipping; it was $5 but now I think it would be $10 because they don't have the "deal" on shipping.

If you're in Ontario that buy.com site seems good, and waiting 1 or 2 days isn't bad if you have a full time job it's less of a hassle than driving to the store usually and arguing about price matching and hoping they have stock
smile.gif

jehu111

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also got one of the 23 dollar ones from ca.buy.com. It was made in Japan. Haven't tried Castlevania yet, but everything i have tried works fine

WongD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ca.buy.com has kingston 1gb on sale for $23.99 plus 5% discount and free shipping. Not sure whether is Japan one or made in Taiwan one, will find out tomorrow when it arrives.

Just got the shipping details ... i ordered on Jan 24 .... will be delivered on Jan 30 .... shipping from Richmond B.C.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Meth cake lol