Hacking MicroSd for SCDSTWO

Greatforce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I didnt know where to put this, so ill just post it here.

I want a good MicroSD 8Gb, wich doesnt cause lagg. If possible not to expensive, i was thinking about €20-€25,- max

Any suggestions?

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Any µSD should do, really, although you'd probably be best off buying a more expensive one with a brand (from ShopTemp).

But, I'll be a dick again and say all questions about the DSTWO should go in the sticky. Remember that well.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Greatforce said:
Thats Class 2, and they seem to suck
How can you know if they suck before you try them out? I have exactly the same 8GB µSD Class 2 from SanDisk and it works like a charm!
biggrin.gif

Greatforce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well people say Class 2 is slow at transferring data or something wich causes lagg in games wich i dont want

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Greatforce said:
Well people say Class 2 is slow at transferring data or something wich causes lagg in games wich i dont want
It used to do that. But not anymore. Nearly all the lag was fixed.

But that µSD doesn't have any problems with lag. Seriously.

solarpolitiks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently using the same Sandisk 8GB card posted here and I can agree, it works great. I have not seen any lag in the games I have played so far, at least.

coattails

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also have the same class 2 SanDisk, and I can vouch for its awesomeness.
It is even compatible with BootMii if you ever wanna softmod a Wii
biggrin.gif

Greatforce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So acording to your reply's i should go for the Class 2 Sandisk 8gb as it doesnt cause lagg at all, with all DS games?

coattails

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Basically, if you get the SanDisk 8GB C2, you will basically be able to play any game without lag.

If you spend some more to get the Transcend card, then you're going to be able to save a couple of minutes of your life when you're copying stuff to your SD and you are future-proof for any future games that are really SD-intensive. However, these SD-intensive games (for instance, Castlevania: PoR) usually end up working on slow SDs anyways through flashcart firmware updates.

ReverseViceVersa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
Greatforce said:
It used to do that. But not anymore. Nearly all the lag was fixed.

But that µSD doesn't have any problems with lag. Seriously.

That's not true. I've used a class 2 8 gig microSD SanDisk and the lag was very well noticeable. I reformated with Panasonic Reformatter and went through all the steps to date, and i still experienced very noticeable lag on some games. Why not pay $20 for an 8gig that's class 6? Shoptemp shipping rates are terrible, btw. Greatforce, you can never be too safe, and I guarantee you'll regret purchasing a class 2 8 gig.

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
coattails said:
Basically, if you get the SanDisk 8GB C2, you will basically be able to play any game without lag.

If you spend some more to get the Transcend card, then you're going to be able to save a couple of minutes of your life when you're copying stuff to your SD and you are future-proof for any future games that are really SD-intensive. However, these SD-intensive games (for instance, Castlevania: PoR) usually end up working on slow SDs anyways through flashcart firmware updates.
+1

QUOTE(ReverseViceVersa @ Jun 7 2010, 03:48 AM) That's not true. I've used a class 2 8 gig microSD SanDisk and the lag was very well noticeable. I reformated with Panasonic Reformatter and went through all the steps to date, and i still experienced very noticeable lag on some games. Why not pay $20 for an 8gig that's class 6? Shoptemp shipping rates are terrible, btw. Greatforce, you can never be too safe, and I guarantee you'll regret purchasing a class 2 8 gig.

Class 2 cards are fine, Class 6 are more expensive but had just a better write speed ( the minimum write speeds based on "the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied")

* Class 2: 16 Mbit/s (2 MB/s)
* Class 4: 32 Mbit/s (4 MB/s)
* Class 6: 48 Mbit/s (6 MB/s)
* Class 10: 80 Mbit/s (10 MB/s)

If you format a SDcard from windows even with SD Formatter ( except if your card reader/writer & specific card are in the compliant list with the supported OS ) you just take a risk of breaking its structure. That's all! ( you may read How to Damage a FLASH Storage Device ... Chances are excellent that you will manage to choose a layout that makes the device work extra hard, thus slowing it down and wearing it out faster. )

If a device is SD compliant you don't need Class 6 except for specific uses like video recording depending on high write rate. Since the class rating is readable by devices, they can issue a warning to the user if the inserted card's reported rating falls below the application's minimum requirement. Any DS game works with A Class 2 card on a good linker. PoR had a bad dump floating. I have no freeze with my own dump on a Class 2 card. Some other games had little problems even from official DS cards because of CPU intensive scenes ( and poor port to DS ). If you need speed to fill your card in less time pay for it but don't tell crap to others like I guarantee you'll regret purchasing a class 2 8 gig ;-)

My advice will be to be careful with sensitive datas or problematic games on big cards anyway.

Sandisk is an expensive brand ( even if they cut their price from 99$ to 10$ you always got just the minimal rate ). Japanese/Asian Brands are robust and often cheaper for a good read/write speed rate ;-)

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I dunno. All I can say is I have a fast class 6 card and I've never had a problem. Perhaps it's just the brand I use. A-Data if anyone is wondering...they tend to be fast and cheap, and they've always been reliable for me.

ReverseViceVersa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GH0ST said:
coattails said:

+1

QUOTE(ReverseViceVersa @ Jun 7 2010, 03:48 AM) That's not true. I've used a class 2 8 gig microSD SanDisk and the lag was very well noticeable. I reformated with Panasonic Reformatter and went through all the steps to date, and i still experienced very noticeable lag on some games. Why not pay $20 for an 8gig that's class 6? Shoptemp shipping rates are terrible, btw. Greatforce, you can never be too safe, and I guarantee you'll regret purchasing a class 2 8 gig.

Class 2 cards are fine, Class 6 are more expensive but had just a better write speed ( the minimum write speeds based on "the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied")

* Class 2: 16 Mbit/s (2 MB/s)
* Class 4: 32 Mbit/s (4 MB/s)
* Class 6: 48 Mbit/s (6 MB/s)
* Class 10: 80 Mbit/s (10 MB/s)

If you format a SDcard from windows even with SD Formatter ( except if your card reader/writer & specific card are in the compliant list with the supported OS ) you just take a risk of breaking its structure. That's all! ( you may read How to Damage a FLASH Storage Device ... Chances are excellent that you will manage to choose a layout that makes the device work extra hard, thus slowing it down and wearing it out faster. )

If a device is SD compliant you don't need Class 6 except for specific uses like video recording depending on high write rate. Since the class rating is readable by devices, they can issue a warning to the user if the inserted card's reported rating falls below the application's minimum requirement. Any DS game works with A Class 2 card on a good linker. PoR had a bad dump floating. I have no freeze with my own dump on a Class 2 card. Some other games had little problems even from official DS cards because of CPU intensive scenes ( and poor port to DS ). If you need speed to fill your card in less time pay for it but don't tell crap to others like I guarantee you'll regret purchasing a class 2 8 gig ;-)

My advice will be to be careful with sensitive datas or problematic games on big cards anyway.

Sandisk is an expensive brand ( even if they cut their price from 99$ to 10$ you always got just the minimal rate ). Japanese/Asian Brands are robust and often cheaper for a good read/write speed rate ;-)

Your advice doesn't make any sense. Notice that I mentioned, "still experienced noticeable lag." Which means what GH0ST? That it lagged straight out of its brand name SanDisk package. I'm not "telling crap" to others, I'm giving him my personal advice. Whether it's crap or not is up to him, not you. ;-)
Nice English, btw.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reverse
Not quite the argument at hand but FYI, newegg.com doesn't ship outside of the US. Also, newegg.ca doesn't ship outside of Canada. Newegg is not a good price source for people outside US/Canada. OP is in the Netherlands.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Coming.