Hacking Micro sd cards die?? How to backup?

ROMANREIGNS599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone was saying that there should be a backup of a 3DS all times as micro sd cards die.

Mine’s hacked with CFW and lots of data of games, gba custom virtual consoles (their saves), twilight menu+ NDS games etc

So is this the process of “backing up (and restoring NAND later if wanting to return everything back to the 3DS)”?

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just copy everything on the SD card to your computer or another storage device. Long gone are the days of EmuNAND, secondary partitions, etc so it's really just as easy as copying the contents on your SD card.

Reactions: ROMANREIGNS599

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
ahh, you can dump it to an iso, you can keep an backpup of all instructions on your pc?
depending on the filesystem you could either copy all using linux or windows.
about 90% of all good, legal branded and bought SD-cards i bought never stopped working, and i used a lot over the years...
only my legal trancend cards stopped working.
on wish bought cards were a gamble at best some times they were not as big as they were advertised, sometimes they weren't as big as windows thought they were (scammed).
aliexpress card were slightly better, they worked for a few years.
buying those cards in a local sore that's trustworthy those cards never stopped working, though i stopped using some brands.

Last edited by JaapDaniels,

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, SD cards are actually unreliable pieces of shit. Anyone who has used a Raspberry PI can attest to that.

The best way to do a backup would be to clone the entire card to an "image" file. On Linux you can do that with a single `dd` command. If you're not a Linux user, you can try a GParted livecd/usb, which comes with a GUI.

On Windows, you'll have to search for tools that can do it for you (or maybe `dd` is available under WSL?)

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, SD cards are actually unreliable pieces of shit. Anyone who has used a Raspberry PI can attest to that.

The best way to do a backup would be to clone the entire card to an "image" file. On Linux you can do that with a single `dd` command. If you're not a Linux user, you can try a GParted livecd/usb, which comes with a GUI.

On Windows, you'll have to search for tools that can do it for you (or maybe `dd` is available under WSL?)
let's see, my sd-card in my first windows ce smairtphone still works fine after more than 20 years, for all wii's i modded (and those were a lot) i only once used transend and that's the only one stopped working.
my old raspberry pi 3b+ is still running on it's first card.
then there were r4 card's they seemed to kill cards sometimes, but most of these cards i used the cheap wish cards, and that might've been my real problem for i've found out some cards of that batch were corrupt even before i plug those in first time.
then at my last job we needed really old cards for some special microconbtrollers could only be flashed with 2gb sd-cards. those cards are at least 10 years old, they don't sell those new for years now...
i havent found a single card ever failing.
those card need dry enviroment though, and treaten with care for they're not strong built.
but to my book they're good storage if treated well.

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Modern sdcards are TLC or even QLC, so the slow but continuous discharge will cause data corruption at some time.
Furthermore, the cells are smaller and smaller which makes it worse as there is less margin for errors.
I don't trust any sdcard for longterm data storage.

Reactions: CoolMe

ROMANREIGNS599

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my PNY 32 GB SD Card corrupted, and when I went to try and restore my NAND backup my computer crashed and I lost everything. So please at least put your backup on a flash drive or something.
I’ve heard from different people in other places that I just need to copy paste sd card’s everything and save it in pc. But what if my micro sd corrupts, will copying the old data from pc to the card cause the games, roms, and VC injects to recognise the save data?

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve heard from different people in other places that I just need to copy paste sd card’s everything and save it in pc. But what if my micro sd corrupts, will copying the old data from pc to the card cause the games, roms, and VC injects to recognise the save data?
Yes, your 3DS should recognize everything, but making a NAND backup is essential, as it protects against bricks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/gnXkwfS got this because it shows v draws also