MGS3 3DS rom file, how to split/trim?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by kuro_blackfire, Aug 18, 2014.

1. kuro_blackfire
    OP

kuro_blackfire Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2014
    Canada
    Hi. (decided to post a thread.) I seriously need help!
    I've been trying everything for days now and all i want is to be able to play MGS3...Since it's a 4gb file, i need to split/trim it, right?

So i looked it up and apparently Gateway has a "handy SplitROM GUI (OSX/WIN32) utility". I tried it, and i had absolutely no idea what i was doing. I searched for instructions but i didn't really know if i was doing the right thing. In the end, i messed around with it and everything i had in my SD card disappeared...great.

After I got back the things on my sd card, i downloaded 3DSGuy's 3ds rom tool on filetrip which didn't actually work since it never seems to finish installing so i end up having to re-install it all the time. Somehow i got the file into winrar and i tried to open "rom_tool.exe" and when i ran it, the cmd program flashes and then it disappears.

I've tried a bunch of other things with no such luck...(so i even decided get an account and ask on a forum)

If anyone has any idea how i can split/trim my MGS3 file, please help! (Plus i'm not very techno-savy so instructions would be nice.) I just want to play this one game...

2. ernilos

ernilos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2013
    rom_tool.exe -t <FILE_NAME>
    it will trim

3. kuro_blackfire
    This message by kuro_blackfire has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 18, 2014, Reason: no bumping.
    Aug 18, 2014
  4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    just reformat your microsd card to exFAT (you need a card that support it though), you wont have to worry about the 4GB limit
    if you mean install it on a 4GB or less card then I believe all parts must be present for it to even work

5. kuro_blackfire
    OP

kuro_blackfire Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2014
    Canada
    Yeah...but my cmd program doesn't even show up. Where do i write that? :unsure:

6. ernilos

ernilos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2013
    just open command prompt from windows and go to the path with "cd <path>" and write it

7. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    here is the gui version, dont have to mess with the cmd prompt

Attached Files:

8. kuro_blackfire
    OP

kuro_blackfire Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2014
    Canada
    Ok. Well I got it to successfully trim! Yay. But the file is now 3gb....Does that mean I keep on trimming? Also, when i trim, the other 1gb is gone, what does that mean?

9. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Without going into specifics, you could say that 1GB is just empty data used to fill up space. You quite literally just deleted 1 GB worth of trash/nothing. And that's good!

10. kuro_blackfire
    OP

kuro_blackfire Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2014
    Canada
    Oh. That's good. It fits into my SD card, but it says "Read error" when i try to find the game (in the gray box with the list of icons)...

11. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Are you sure you put it onto a microSD card and put that into the red Gateway card? (Assuming you use Gateway, since it's mentioned in the first post.)

12. kuro_blackfire
    OP

kuro_blackfire Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2014
    Canada
    Hell yeah! I got it! :lol:

At first, i put another game(2gb) in there and it still didn't work. Then i realised that my sd card was actually formatted wrong. When i reformatted it, i put just MGS3 on it and it didn't work. But when i put the other game(2gb) in with it, it worked. o-o Well it's fine, cause i'll probably put in more games anyway.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

13. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2008
    United States
    What did you originally format your card as and what did you change it to later?