ROM Hack Metroid Prime: Federation Force Save Editing

Blundermann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to figure out how to edit the save file for this game.
It's a lot simpler than most of the save files I've seen. It only has one file, named "profileX.sav" (where X is the number of the profile; 1, 2, or 3)

I've tried to edit my save to have all skins unlocked. I had two skins, so I assumed that this was where the skin unlocked data was, because there are two 01s in this string of FFs.

dlVzFcH.png

However, if I change any of the FFs to 01s, it fails to load the save file with this error:

hle7wUU.png

Can anyone figure out if anything can be edited without it failing to load?

Reactions: Deleted User

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I'm trying to figure out how to edit the save file for this game.
It's a lot simpler than most of the save files I've seen. It only has one file, named "profileX.sav" (where X is the number of the profile; 1, 2, or 3)

I've tried to edit my save to have all skins unlocked. I had two skins, so I assumed that this was where the skin unlocked data was, because there are two 01s in this string of FFs.

dlVzFcH.png

However, if I change any of the FFs to 01s, it fails to load the save file with this error:

hle7wUU.png

Can anyone figure out if anything can be edited without it failing to load?
You need to find the checksums and patch those.

Reactions: Mr_Mendelli

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
I assumed there would be some sort of integrity check in the save file, I just don't know where it is.
Make a copy of a save then change something small in game. Usually just re-saving after a short time will do it or editing something in the options, lol.
Then look for a 2-4 byte random number in the save file (usually at the beginning or end) to change completely between saves. That should be the checksum.
You then have to figure out what type of checksum it is (usually crc16 or crc32) and what range of the save it covers.

I don't know if that's a good explanation, but it's the best I can do for now.

Last edited by zoogie,

Blundermann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if that's a good explanation, but it's the best I can do for now.
Your explanation was just fine. I very much appreciate it.

I believe there is one four-byte checksum that resides at the top of the file at 0x00.

Save 1:
6fGvfFI.png

Save 2:
oohutOR.png

Save 3:
pMn3Flc.png

Save 4:
eV0ibuL.png

Notice that bytes 0x04 through 0x07, and 0x09 remain unchanged through the four files.
Not sure, but I think the changing value at 0x08 might be a record of when the save was recorded.

Would it be easier to figure out how the game generates its checksum value, or to patch out the game's save integrity check entirely using NTR or something?

Last edited by Blundermann,

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Your explanation was just fine. I very much appreciate it.

I believe there is one four-byte checksum that resides at the top of the file at 0x00.

Save 1:
6fGvfFI.png

Save 2:
oohutOR.png

Save 3:
pMn3Flc.png

Save 4:
eV0ibuL.png

Notice that bytes 0x04 through 0x07, and 0x09 remain unchanged through the four files.
Not sure, but I think the changing value at 0x08 might be a record of when the save was recorded.

Would it be easier to figure out how the game generates its checksum value, or to patch out the game's save integrity check entirely using NTR or something?
It's definitely just easier to patch the correct crc32 every time you change something in the save. You just need to experiment what range the crc covers, then test it against what the game wrote at 0x0. HxD has a checksum option in its menu that can check a highlighted area.

edit: almost forgot, be aware that the crc32 will likely be stored in reverse byte order since it's little endian.

Last edited by zoogie,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Weird, I was half expecting the hacking scene to pretend this game doesn't exist, considering everyone considers Federation Force to be a worse game than Other M for completely petty reasons.
The only thing I want the hacking scene to do to this game is to hack the models of all the in game characters to make them have proper body proportions.
I despise those stupid big heads in each and every single one of the models.

If the game had character models with proper body proportions I can guarantee you that it wouldn't have that much of a negative impact in the overall series for a spinoff.

Blundermann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
everyone considers Federation Force to be a worse game than Other M for completely petty reasons.
I got the game as soon as it came out, and I've poured hours into it already. I absolutely fucking love it. The body proportions are stupid, but IMO it doesn't matter when the gameplay is as polished as it is.

I've never played Other M, so I can't make any comparisons to it, but Federation Force definitely inspired me to poke around with its save data, because I enjoyed playing the game so much. If everyone else is going to pretend it doesn't exist, that's fine, but this thread is for those that want to acknowledge it.

Last edited by Blundermann,

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got the game as soon as it came out, and I've poured hours into it already. I absolutely fucking love it. The body proportions are stupid, but IMO it doesn't matter when the gameplay is as polished as it is.

I've never played Other M, so I can't make any comparisons to it, but Federation Force definitely inspired me to poke around with its save data, because I enjoyed playing the game so much. If everyone else is going to pretend it doesn't exist, that's fine, but this thread is for those that want to acknowledge it.

I'm assuming that the perpetual big head mode is for some kind of gameplay reason. Visibility, most likely.

This game's good. I don't care how butthurt people are that you don't play as Samus. That said - interquel/DLC where you play Samus' side of the story when?

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used my amiiqo to unlock the Samus and Zero Suit Samus paint jobs, but when I used Bowser (super smash), Bowser Jr., and Mario (super smash) I got X ray 3 times in a row. Do all the other amiibo just give X-ray or is there something I'm missing?

Nisky808

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used my amiiqo to unlock the Samus and Zero Suit Samus paint jobs, but when I used Bowser (super smash), Bowser Jr., and Mario (super smash) I got X ray 3 times in a row. Do all the other amiibo just give X-ray or is there something I'm missing?
The Mario skins are Blast Ball only.

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol
    19 inches it was glorious lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, If it doesn't fit, you should've gotten one smaller lol
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If a racoon can fit up to 8-inches then so be it
    +1
    Lol it it fits I sit? Lol
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Will it blend lol
    +1
    Blended families!!!
    The Dahmer diet, two healthy shakes and meat for dinner!!!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Dahmer diet, two healthy shakes and meat for dinner!!!