Messed up my DSi

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by SoraKeyofFate, Apr 6, 2011.

Apr 6, 2011

Messed up my DSi by SoraKeyofFate at 10:35 PM (1,578 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. SoraKeyofFate
    OP

Newcomer SoraKeyofFate Advanced Member

Canada
    So as the title said, I pretty much killed my DSi. It's not exactly dead, but it's not booting.

The answer I'm guessing will fix my DSi is to the question "How do you reflash a DSi's firmware?"

If you want to the know the back story as to how it broke here it is (feel free to laugh at my stupidity):

I had the Metroid Prime Hunters demo card back form when I got the original DS. My first Acekard was broken and I thought it might be something with the plastic casing 'cause it moved a lot inside it. I opened the MPH case and put the Acekard in it, which didn't fit.
    So now, left with a broken MPH, I wanted to see if the game would still run if I only used the back case and the chip in the DSi. I put them both in, and turned my DSi upside down. The chip fell out, but the cover was stuck in the slot-1. [​IMG]
    Seeing as I couldn't really do anything to get it unstuck, I thought I had to open it, so I did. After I opened it and disconnected a few things to get to the slot-1, it just occurred to me that the case might slip out if I put the chip back in with it and took them out together. I tried. It did.
    I felt really stupid.
    So I put my DSi back together and everything was working fine until I launched the outer camera. It gave that standard "An error has occurred, please hold down the power button and restart your DSi" so I did.
    Now it won't turn on.

I've read that the DSi does a hardware check when it boots and that if there's even the slightest thing wrong, it won't go on. I've opened it up and reconnected everything properly so this is where I need a firmware flash to see if it's fixed... Goodbye DSiWare... T_T

2. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Worse news, even if you pay Nintendo won't fix the DSi because you opened it.

3. SoraKeyofFate
    OP

Newcomer SoraKeyofFate Advanced Member

Canada
    Even worse news. I don't even have enough money to pay for a Nintendo fix... I might have to look for a third-party repairman or something.
    The stupid thing is that if I'm looking to trade it for a 3DS, I'll have to get it fixed then trade it in, which will cost me more than just buying a 3DS thus nullifying their trade-in deal. lol

4. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    Wrong. If you pay the repair fee, Nintendo will fully repair whatever you send them, or send you a new one.

5. machomuu

United States
    I've experienced it myself, it happened to me. If you open it they will not fix it AFAIK.

6. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    I've gone through their repair service as well. If they didn't repair it, it means you were trying to cash in on a free repair and had voided your warranty. I paid the repair fee, and they repaired mine, even after I had opened it up.

7. machomuu

United States
    That's it. I didn't void it, but it was past its warranty by 3 months.

8. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Somehow that trail of what was done are some of the worst decisions I have ever seen.