Message a PC

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Is it possible across a home network to push messages to the screen of another . Im wanting to force a message upon the screen of my sons PC from my PC , preferably without any 3rd party apps.. .

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
LAN IM is an annoying game these days. Windows did have a tool but it was dropped a while back (if you ever got popups on the earlier versions of windows XP you saw one of the last versions), today there is still an inbuilt option but I believe it is not available for the home type versions of windows (this may or may not trouble you).

For the inbuilt stuff http://www.cezeo.com/tips-and-tricks/msg-command/ should do. Most people that ask for LAN IM I usually find do not really need the aggro and an online IM system will do just as well. The lantalk program from the company that wrote the link is not bad though.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Yeah i just been reading about the msg command . only im on win 7 home prem .. so i have just been looking into adding msg.exe to sys32 dir .. but im not sure if thatll work.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you looking to speak to your son or have control over what he sees or does? Forcing a message seems like something you'd want remote control for, if you don't mean for your son to just minimize/ignore the message.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you want something really intrusive, remote control would probably be best, yeah. If it doesn't need to be intrusive, why not just use Skype or whatever? Also, some programs may be uninterruptible. I've never seen any popup go in front of osu! in fullscreen mode, and regular screenshots and likely remote desktop tools won't work either.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
i just want to force a message to his screen , regardless of what apps he has running and what he chooses to close .. meaning so he has no control of the message appearing. If i use skype etc he has control over that .. i want an overiding app that forces the message on him. Other than that no pc control.. well i guess a forced shut down would be nice .. but not really what im looking for initially.

Edit : im running win7 home prem 64 cbit and he win8 equivilant.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I assume you're doing this as a parental control type of thing? ie Restricting the amount of time he uses his PC or whatever? If that's the case, you can turn on Family Safety in Windows, it has a ton of different options that will let you control how long he plays/what he plays etc.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
i have been down that route Tom , windows 8 parental shit is just that .. SHIt .. if he is prompted with the "its time to go to bed" message . he can bypass it.. it .. When it prompts the session is shutting down , if he chooses to click the "X" rather than the OK button it reboots to the admin account... NO SHIT.

And also his time varies.. I want to just send a mesage to his screen . when i choose to. I know i can set router permissions , and parental control things.. i just wanna message him.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm not sure if a program exists that can send popups that go in front of everything. There's always the option of just walking to him and telling him to go to bed though.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the easiest thing you can do is set a password on the system and use remotecontrol to log your son off, which should require a password to get back on (there are ways around this, but I doubt your son would know of them). Along with that, you could use a hotkey program like AutoHotKey to enable a fullscreen image to tell your son whatever it is you want to tell him, and then a script to do the logoff. This will require you to learn up on how to setup scripts for this program, however.

Honestly, you will probably be putting in far more effort when instead one could just go speak to your son. But I understand parenting is not always so simple :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter