memory card read speeds

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by esoterica, Nov 5, 2008.

Nov 5, 2008

memory card read speeds by esoterica at 8:27 AM (753 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. esoterica
    OP

Member esoterica GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm going to Fry's tomorrow and buying a memory card for the PSP. So I've read that depending on the reading speed of your card, your games may load faster or slower or become choppy? Is there a huge difference? Fry's has a $40 Lexar 8gb card, and DX has an even cheaper one. Sony is a bit pricier, being in the $50-60 range. Is it worth it, or does it not really make much of a difference?

2. hybridkit

Member hybridkit GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The reading speed of your card will determine the transfer speed for your files while using USB. If you are using CFW, you can always set your CPU speed to 333Hz instead of the default, that will mostly solve the lagness in most games.

The capacity of the card determine how much files can you store. If you are on a budget , get a legit 4GB memory stick (SanDisk, Lexar, Sony) will be good enough.

Best is not to get fake memory cards as there are a number of users having corrupted memory card problems.

Deal Extreme sell fake memory stick so avoid them at all cost.

3. Kellicros

Member Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

Not all fake memory sticks are bad, I have had two 4G's and one 8G's from DX for months, the only problem I had is things take much longer to be written on them, when compared to the genuine cards.

4. Heatguyred

Newcomer Heatguyred Advanced Member

Mexico
    so, an original card is much better??????

what brand is the best, I was thinking of getting a sandisk

5. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    100% wrong

the write speed of your card is what determines how fast you can transfer stuff to your PSP via USB(generally crappier cards will have very slow write speeds. this affects how fast you can transfer stuff to the card, very little impact on how games run)

read speed is what matters for loading up iso's and homebrew while using the PSP