Media Uupdate Required to Play Video

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by sKeEt, Jan 28, 2011.

Jan 28, 2011
  1. sKeEt
    OP

Member sKeEt GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So why if I have this media update will my videos not play? Why do I need my 360 to be connected to the internet in order to watch my own fucking videos? This wasn't the case before. Why is it now?

I am sitting in my living room trying to watch a movie with my mother, but we can't because this media update that I already have is required...

Can someone explain this nonsense to me? I don't have the wireless adapter and I don't have a line running into my living room.

Asshole Microsoft bullshit.

2. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    I don't know about you, but that damn media update didn't do shit as for playing my AVis

3. sKeEt
    OP

United States
    My AVI's play fine. What you have to do is make sure the audio stream is the right format as the 360 doesn't play all audio formats. There are different ways to do this. I use Yamb and if the audio isn't in the correct format I use MediaCoder Audio Edition to correct this

Seriously like a year ago I could watch my videos fine without an internet connection but now all of a sudden, "Media Update required" Like I don't have it!

Jeesus Microsoft really knows how to remove functionality with their products. Can they ever make something that works the way it's supposed to? Only just recently did they add support for NTFS formatted external hard drives which is completely incompetent to me seeing as the whole reason they created that format was to change formats from the old FAT format to the superior NTFS and they don't even support it for their new system. I mean the Fat format is like so damn old and they only just now add support for the 360.

What's wrong with these people?

4. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    *Should have got a PS3 cough* I hate the 360. I loved it when it came out...

But not anymore. You see why?

5. sKeEt
    OP

United States
    Yea I know. When it comes to playing videos and music, the PS3 is superior but at the same time, the 360 can play music during ANY game while PS3 games need to support it. I am big on music so that win goes to the 360.

I am fishing around and apparently there's no way around this. Oh well. Microsoft you really need to learn how to make things work right because you will lose customers when nothing works right. And you need to take these complaints seriously and actually DO SOMETHING about them.

Sometimes I swear Microsoft is run by retarded monkeys.

I still like the 360 better than the PS3 though. I just hate Sony and their "we're better than everybody at everything" attitude.

6. hundshamer

Member hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Did you swithch to anaother 360 since downloading the update. Each update is licensed to a specific console. If you put your HDD on another 360 you need to be online or re-download directly from M$ to that machine.

7. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    this the answer. minus that retarded dollar sign. you don't do that with any other company with an 's' in it's name or abbreviation, do you?

8. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States

Who cares? That bothers you that much?

M$
    $ony
    Nintendo

9. hundshamer

Member hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Who cares how I abbreviate words.
    [​IMG]
    GTFO TROLL

10. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i'm going to take a shot in the dark, and say that i care. it's old, and tired.

what a surprise that companies are about money.

11. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Or allowing me to play any of my HD Top Gear episodes, either. [​IMG] the 360 won't even SEE them now. [​IMG]

On the flip side, the 360 will play my (originally PAL) Jeremy Clarkson DVD's no problem, while the ps3 won't allow me to even touch them.

12. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I know, you must use Windows Media Center.

13. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    I know about a week ago I tried playing a video and it told me I needed the update. I deleted the one I had and re downloaded it and it worked fine for me after that. I do wish it would play more formats though. Like mkv.

14. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    I do... or whatever the equivalent of Windows 7's native streaming support is. I'm assuming it's WMP, but even as we speak, I use WMP to play all my episodes as well; but to be fair, I had to download Shark007's codec pack, as my venerable favorite of K-lite codec packs will not work at all on Windows 7, whereas they worked perfectly fine on XP.

Posts merged

ah yes, mkv... a very impressive media format to be told, but as of yet, no commercially available device will ever touch it. Seems to be relegated to only being playable on PC's then [​IMG]

15. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    just get a stand alone dvd divx player and you won't have to update to anything, i have 2 blu ray players for that purpose [​IMG]