MC2SIO - Load PS2 games from SD Memory Card!

fababop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The SD card method is easier to setup at the beginning maybe, but the SMB is better to play games and once you have set it up, it's just a matter of drag and drop ISOs. If someone want an easier method but not reliable when there are better alternatives, don't complain after when a game freeze, stutters, or doesn't boot, or you have to split ISO specifically with the chance they don't work, and you need a specific version of OPL too.
Curious , isnt a PS2Netbox easier than SMB? What about an external small NAS drive?

Leon11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SMB is really improved in latest OPLs, especially FMV Stuttering and compatibility. You can easily buy a cheap router with a USB port, connect an external HDD, set the SMB connection on PC for the router once and you go. The speed is essentially like a healty DVD Drive minus some compatibility issue. There is only one thing that i hate of the SMB method, if you don't touch the controller for like 20 minutes the connection is lost, you have to reset the PS2, if you put a rubber on the analog mimicking movements when you are absent maybe you can workaround. You add ISO without conversion or split directly to the HDD, you can connect to the PC directly or create a network share if you leave it connected to the router.

Curious , isnt a PS2Netbox easier than SMB? What about an external small NAS drive?
Maybe, because it's already set but the PS2Netbox requires a specific version of OPL but i'm not sure on this, plus it's pricey, hard to find, and it doesn't add anything over a Router with an HDD connected.

I have this simple setup to my Slim, it works without problems, cheap and with any OPL version. The Router is the old one of my previous ISP so i didn't have to buy a new one. it is connected to the Slim and to PC, both ethernet.

IMG_20220213_133454.jpgIMG_20220213_134249.jpg

Last edited by Leon11,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Internal HDD is a must for Fat PS2s, it's easy to install FreeHDBoot if you have either FreeMCboot on a MC or a modchip, you need to get either a SATA network adapter the gamestar one (works well though no ethernet port), or modify the OEM one with a SATA adapter board, both are the same in terms of performance. Highly recommended.

It is, for those who just one to revisit & play their fav games and are new to this.

I know about this, it's just considerably more extra stuff one needs to do in order to set it up opposed to this method(MC2SIO), again specially for first timers.. though i personally i wouldn't mind it, but since i use my Fat as my main system i don't see the need for it, maybe if i ever was hard pressed to use my Slim for whatever reason..

Good to know, i guess at least it's better than USB, though game compatibility between the two is something to be considered as well..
not going to try and convince you since what you think is best for you, simply is.
That said, for others reading this, compatibility is best with SMB, works with practically EVERY version of OPL, is more cost effective if you want to maintain a huge library, and while yes, takes more effort to setup it takes no effodt to maintain after that and therefore is more than worth it IMHO.

Reactions: Cyan

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I honestly don't see the point of having to get a FAT system for HDD or using SMB (and I have the second one set up myself) or what-have-you, if the SD MC works just like playing off discs as the video says.

If it truly works as mentioned and performs well, having a MC-like device on the system to access games is far less messy than having ethernet or usb cables all around, and not needing to have a computer turned on to load the games on the typical SMB setup is another plus. Not to mention, adding games to an sd card is simpler than the internal hdd process.

It just sounds like a much more elegant and simple way of doing things, I will keep an eye on it, I really hope it's not a dud.

We'll see.

Reactions: nutsack and fababop

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean better than with internal HDD? If so, curious to know why you think it is, as from my experience it plays all the games i have on it without issues.. :yayps3:
Really? Come on now, the subject of the thread is a memory card storage mod for OPL. Why would a Phat PS2 user even LOOK at this??? I am making the assumption we are evaluating all of this as a disc-less solution for a SLIM PS2...

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't see the point of having to get a FAT system for HDD or using SMB (and I have the second one set up myself) or what-have-you, if the SD MC works just like playing off discs as the video says.

If it truly works as mentioned and performs well, having a MC-like device on the system to access games is far less messy than having ethernet or usb cables all around, and not needing to have a computer turned on to load the games on the typical SMB setup is another plus. Not to mention, adding games to an sd card is simpler than the internal hdd process.

It just sounds like a much more elegant and simple way of doing things, I will keep an eye on it, I really hope it's not a dud.

We'll see.
It is definitely a cleaner setup - no question. The problem comes with compatibility (granted it will likely improve over time) and cost effectiveness when you want to maintain a large library of games.

You also have to keep in mind that while running OPL in the proper mode to use MX4SIO, you can't use a normal memory card AT ALL - not even in the other slot, which limits you to virtual memory cards for any game you're playing via MX4SIO.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why would a Phat PS2 user even LOOK at this???
because some people like just to mingle with those devices idk call me freak but i got a phat with hdd were i wanted to try the mc2sio and a overkilled slim wich got a modchip wich got funtuna/opentuna wich got mechapawned + magic swap

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because some people like just to mingle with those devices idk call me freak but i got a phat with hdd were i wanted to try the mc2sio and a overkilled slim wich got a modchip wich got funtuna/opentuna wich got mechapawned + magic swap
I get that in general, but then you can't use a real memory card and you limit yourself to about 1/30th the read speed that internal HDD has.

Now if you're tinkering because you like to tinker - good on you for having fun. Built one myself even tho I knew I wouldn't likely use it for more than experimentation. Using it regularly and having to ditch memory card support when you can just pop in a HDD is silly for long term use IMHO.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I get that in general, but then you can't use a real memory card and you limit yourself to about 1/30th the read speed that internal HDD has.

Now if you're tinkering because you like to tinker - good on you for having fun. Built one myself even tho I knew I wouldn't likely use it for more than experimentation. Using it regularly and having to ditch memory card support when you can just pop in a HDD is silly for long term use IMHO.
=0 thanks for clearing me up i didnt thought about the memorycard issue till you mentiont it

but couldnt you just use a virtual memorycard ?

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
=0 thanks for clearing me up i didnt thought about the memorycard issue till you mentiont it

but couldnt you just use a virtual memorycard ?
of course you can, and if you ONLY play via OPL and ONLY play on one PS2 that would be painless.
If you move from one PS2 to another or go to a friend's house, or still play some disc games, you still need a real memory card for that...

Reactions: rantex92

Leon11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
HDD is the best of course. The comparison was Between SMB and SD Card. For simplicity the Internal HDD is not the simplest, you need an adapter, official or not, then you need to connect the HDD to the PC with an external Sata or IDE USB adapter and you need a specific program like HDLDumb or if you have an official adapter you use HDLDumb in ethernet mode so you need the Fat PS2 connected to the PC, and first you need to format the HDD to the PS2 format. But of course the Internal HDD method is the best in any case, compatibility, performance, you can use that PS2 everywhere because the HDD is inside, you don't need to bring other things with you.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by Flame,

Falange4000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It is definitely a cleaner setup - no question. The problem comes with compatibility (granted it will likely improve over time) and cost effectiveness when you want to maintain a large library of games.

You also have to keep in mind that while running OPL in the proper mode to use MX4SIO, you can't use a normal memory card AT ALL - not even in the other slot, which limits you to virtual memory cards for any game you're playing via MX4SIO.
This version (mc2sio) permit save in your memory (the one with the opl) or even swap them, it’s in the video.

Reactions: zfreeman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87...