Maxtor Black Armor 160GB

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Chemical_Warfare, Apr 7, 2009.

Apr 7, 2009
  1. Chemical_Warfare
    OP

Member Chemical_Warfare GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    so i bought this drive not realizing that it had a built in aut-locking feature. which means everytime you plus in the drive, it asks for a password before making it usable. - so naturally the wii wont pick it up properly.

Anyone have any experience with these drives, or with how to remove the security?

2. kornychaos

Member kornychaos Organized.

United States
    I would suggest using the Maxtor Manager and erasing the drive (all your data will be deleted for good!) Then unlock the drive if it's locked?
    Attempt to use Windows to format the drive, not that Maxtor Manager, and maybe then it won't be encrypted or have a password.. ?

3. Psy-Phi

Newcomer Psy-Phi Member

United States
    It can't be unlocked permanently. It's designed with hardware encryption, a piece of hardware sits between the usb connection and the hdd itself. Currently there's no way to bypass that or leave it open. It's intended to be a secure drive (but only works on Windows unfortunately). I bought one too and did a bit of searching, but it's okay...I use it as a backup drive for important files. I wanted to use it on my Mac laptop as well as my Windows and Linux Desktops...c'est la vie.

Buy another drive...and just make sure it doesn't say what this one says in small text on the back.