OP
Trophies
Website
www.corenting.fr
XP
Country
France
gallery_131029_747_19791.png

Martin Korth, the author of the famous No$GBA emulator is back ! He has released a new Super Nintendo emulator. This emulator is written in assembler. The author claims that this emulator is very accurate and can run on slow computers.

icon11.gif
Source

This release is old (24 February) but I think it's good to his return, because he may work on No$GBA again...

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Remember guys, it's illegal to share v1.1 since you have to donate if you want it.
I always thought Martin is an epic coder. He simly knows his stuff. I'm sure he could make a good SNES emulator for the DS in no time. Hm.. I think I'll ask him if he has any plans to do this.

corenting

OP
Trophies
Website
www.corenting.fr
XP
Country
France
Remember guys, it's illegal to share v1.1 since you have to donate if you want it.
I always thought Martin is an epic coder. He simly knows his stuff. I'm sure he could make a good SNES emulator for the DS in no time. Hm.. I think I'll ask him if he has any plans to do this.

Yeah I think he is a good coder too. No$GBA is not updated but it's still one of the best emulator... I really hope him to update No$GBA or even release other emulators.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow, he's back? That's fantastic.
I hope he does have an interest in continuing no$gba because it looks to have more potential than Desmume.

I gotta check out this SNES emulator too, very interested to hear that it's both accurate AND friendly on slow-systems. Most likely because it's written in Assembly, that ain't easy.

Edit: It fails the SNES Test Program Electronics test, good emulators should be able to pass it.
But it successfully runs even weird software like Hong Kong 97

gallery_125264_224_14716.png

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

ZSNES was originally written in x86 Assembly code, with reprogramming C and C++.
Snes9X is programmed in C++
They are high-level emulators.

BSNES is also written in C++ but it is a low-level emulator, which means it emulates the machine much more closely to its internal design instead of attempting to recreate the response from the machine.

no$sns is written 100% in Assembly however, meaning that it works specifically for the machine it is written for, in this case Windows.
Assembly being a low-level programming language means it is "close to the hardware" making it able to use the hardware much more effectively than C++ which uses high-level and low-level programming.

In a nutshell, no$sns being written in Assembly means it has very low system requirements.
Martin Korth states that "on 1GHz computers, most games can run 5-10 times faster as on real hardware"

I'm gonna go test some framerates quick, just uncap the framerate on the same ROM and see how it goes.

System: Core2Duo [email protected] - ATI HD4850
ROM tested - Mega Man 7 (E)
How tested: Idle on title screen, frameskip uncapped
no$sns - Approx 1750% - 2200% fullspeed on intro, 1380% during rain on demo in Cloudman's stage
ZSNES - Can't tell, will not display FPS when auto frame rate is disabled... Sound when frame rate is uncapped is considerably worse however.
BSNES - Can't test? Doesn't appear to have framerate uncapping option.
SNES9x - FPS displayed on frame rate uncapped only shows 50/50

...I can't actually get any info out of these emulators, dang.

Reactions: iAqua

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
But that still, is relatively worthless.

Emulator for "slower" computers -> ZSNES. Covered that base.
Emulators for "faster" computers -> Snes9X. Covered that base.
Emulator for "perfect" emulation -> BSNES. Covered that base.

I've used the terms loosely for obvious reasons. From what I see, it's goals are to be bsnes but faster. For any average user, that's pretty much worthless. All games are already covered, whether its actually emulated perfectly or not. There's nothing new being added to the ballpark.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
jzi4qw.jpg

Other than higher-than-ZSNES-compatibility-on-a-netbook, I also have to question the significance of this. Yes it's more accurate than ZSNES, but so is SNES9x. Yes SNES9x has higher system requirements than ZSNES, but considering it runs on phones and even the PSP, any modern computer can run it full speed. Yes it's got lower requirements than BSNES, but even BSNES's requirements aren't unreasonable, unless you're on a netbook... but this has less compatibility than BSNES.

Reactions: 2 people

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah I'm not saying this is a bad thing by far, I'm just noting it's quite unlikely to carve out any sort of niche. I mean, the fact that it's in assembly kills off it's porting chances so it's already limited to the PC, and ZSNES/SNES9x/BSNES have already covered to various groups there.

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Oh yeah I'm not saying this is a bad thing by far, I'm just noting it's quite unlikely to carve out any sort of niche. I mean, the fact that it's in assembly kills off it's porting chances so it's already limited to the PC, and ZSNES/SNES9x/BSNES have already covered to various groups there.

Pretty much what I'm getting at, and your previous post.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
As cool as this is, I don't see any reason to use it over some of the other emulators, both in terms of just playing games or testing homebrew. Had this been years ago, it would be one thing, but computers right now are fast enough that the need for low requirements isn't there. It would be nice for something like the Raspberri Pi, but that isn't running Windows, which NO$SNS requires. As far as homebrew, there is some interest in programming for the SNES, but what could I do there that I can't already do for the GBA?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...