Mario and Luigi 3: With Rumble?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by kosheh, Sep 17, 2009.

Sep 17, 2009
  1. kosheh
    OP

Member kosheh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Alright - first off I'm not saying "hi im a nobb plz plz make game w/o rumble have it lol"

well
    i kinda am ):

Anyway, I'm sure most of you [well, those who CAN play it] are playing through Bowser's Inside Story and loving it. But, there's something interesting to note, especially those who own a DS Rumble Pak and played the previous game (PiT)

Mario & Luigi 3 has Rumble Pak compatibility, just like its predecessor. But get this -- the US version of the game has the feature REMOVED! :000000

In short...well, I don't have the experience, but do you suppose it's possible that we could all work together and figure out what the Japanese version has that the US is missing that leads this game to not have any rumble-function?
    I'm pretty sure it's a few flags here and there commented out - the problem is, translating that into hex and...stuff

And if we manage to figure it out, attempt to patch it back into the US game?

2. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    It's the crack that broke the rumble feature, it's supposed to be in there. If you buy the cart you'll have rumble.

3. kosheh
    OP

United States
    Are you positive?
    I've got both M&L:BIS and a DS Rumble Pak [both retail, M&L is not pirated and the rumblepak's first-party Nintendo brand], and nothing's happening when I'm jumping on Koopa heads or being attacked :/

4. N-TG

Member N-TG GBAtemp Fan

Greece
    I don't see the good of having this feature... It really damages your hands. I remember playing pokemon pinball and my hands were hurting for the rest of the day...

5. kosheh
    OP

United States
    You're probably not gripping your DS properly :/

Also I don't recall Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire having the Rumble feature. :/

6. N-TG

Member N-TG GBAtemp Fan

Greece
    For the first Pokemon Pinball...It had a very big cartridge...

Let me find a picture
    [​IMG]

Here you pu a battery in it and voila... Rumble pak for gbc [​IMG]

7. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    elixirdream mentioned in another post that there was supposed to be rumble but the patch broke it, I'm just going off that info and elixirdream is usually pretty clued up on these things.

8. CheatingSoi

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    Wow, this would be the best game for rumble. To think I played through it without it.

9. kosheh
    OP

United States
    not to be a dick and get all corrective but

It's possible that between the two different copy protections used [US and JP versions actually have two different methods. JP version was easy to crack, US version was made to clearly lock out R4s], Nintendo had to remove the rumble feature as it interfered with the game's security measures.

or, they could have just assumed no one uses rumble paks anymore and everyone has a DSi :/

But yeah, it'd make sense if the above statement applied to the Japanese version of the game and its respective gamefix.

10. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    not many game have it anymore becasue they dont sel it anymore it came with one game thats it nintendo dosnt think youll own the fake ones

11. kosheh
    OP

United States
    . . .

thank you captain obvious

(and fyi, the rumble pak worked with like 80 games total. and this has little to do with third-party gamepaks)

12. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    In theory -- If you take the Japanese version of the rom -- and then insert the English language text files (undub/re-dub it), you'll have a rumble version with English text

13. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    No, they'd never have to remove a feature to add code in, coding just doesn't work like that. If it has been removed I don't know why. It would actually cost them money and time to remove (not alot, but enough to make it not worth the hassle).

Fuck knows why they removed it if they have, your guess is as good as anyones.

The protection hasn't been made specifically to lock out R4s, it was made to lock out all flashcarts. It's just some have more versatile loaders/kernels than others. Plus the R4 just isn't updated any more so it something has to be changed internally to overcome the protection (like in the case of the M3 Real/M3i Zero) then it can't be done.

14. N-TG

Member N-TG GBAtemp Fan

Greece
    Shhh!!!! TrolleyDave don't ruin our plan... See we want kosheh to transfer the english in the japanese rom so he can have his rumble feature. We can also play the game but he also can play it with rumble pak.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. kosheh
    OP

United States
    likewise you could do it vice-versa

personally it's not THAT big of a deal but it'd be a whole new world of nice, but I could live without it. I own the actual game, so I'm motivated to finish that
    however, if I get this beastly urge to somehow play with rumble in English, I don't mind helping out

However, it's a little harder than you think than just copy-pasting the English text into the Japanese game. You'd need someone who knows assembly to help get groups of text to group properly. Sort of like the problem they're having with SaGa 2.

rest assured though it's easy enough to import the fontface from the English game to the JP one