Manjaro or Mint for my usage ?

Kanakops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hi, I have do a thread about a virus I got here : https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-got-a-virus.569432/
but I doubt someone will tell me something, and now i'm thinking about switching to linux as main OS and keep windows 10 in dual boot but only for the high end games I can't run on linux.

I have heard about manjaro who are great for gaming but it's not stable ? I really don't know, and in the other hand we told me mint is stable but I don't think it's optimized for gaming

what should I pick ? I have a decent config with a I7-7700k, a nvidia 1060 gtx 3gb, 12 gb of ram, a ssd of 120go, one hdd of 2to and an other of 4to

I really want an os who don't force me to switch over and over on windows 10 and if possible be able to play most of my games on linux

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Manjaro isn't any less stable than any other Linux distro, not sure where you heard that but it's just not really true.

Really it just depends on what you're more comfortable using, Arch-based distros (Manjaro) or Debian-based distros (Linux Mint). Performance will depend on your desktop environment and how many/what packages you install and run, but overall the difference will be negligible between the two.

I would suggest just loading up a live USB of both and playing around with each distro and then pick the one you like the feel of the most.

I personally go for Linux Mint whenever I need a Linux distro, but only because I've used Mint for 10+ years.

Reactions: Kanakops

Kanakops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Manjaro isn't any less stable than any other Linux distro, not sure where you heard that but it's just not really true.

Really it just depends on what you're more comfortable using, Arch-based distros (Manjaro) or Debian-based distros (Linux Mint). Performance will depend on your desktop environment and how many/what packages you install and run, but overall the difference will be negligible between the two.

I would suggest just loading up a live USB of both and playing around with each distro and then pick the one you like the feel of the most.

I personally go for Linux Mint whenever I need a Linux distro, but only because I've used Mint for 10+ years.

Thanks for the answer, can I also ask you if I should put the linux distrib on my ssd or should I put windows 10 instead ? I will keep win10 in dual boot like I said but I really don't know what should I do

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Generally speaking, Linux distros will load quicker than Windows on a HDD, so if I were you I'd probably stick with Windows on the SSD to have quick boot times there, and then use one of the HDDs for Linux Mint.

You could also install both to the SSD and keep your applications on a separate HDD, but with Linux this can be a little more complex than with Windows.

Reactions: Kanakops

Kanakops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Generally speaking, Linux distros will load quicker than Windows on a HDD, so if I were you I'd probably stick with Windows on the SSD to have quick boot times there, and then use one of the HDDs for Linux Mint.

You could also install both to the SSD and keep your applications on a separate HDD, but with Linux this can be a little more complex than with Windows.

oh wow really ? that's good to know, i'm really sorry to bother you but I have a last question. I have two monitors and I use a wireless headset, "HyperX Cloud Flight" Do you think I will have problem to use it on linux ? Because I need to use it with a usb bluetooth key

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeaZWBrG__s