Malware help

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Joey Ravn, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2009

Malware help by Joey Ravn at 9:02 AM (1,252 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Joey Ravn
    OP

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    OK, this is just not funny anymore. I've been trying for DAYS to get rid of some malware (trojans, rootkits, virus, whatever) I have on my PC to no avail, and I just can't take it anymore. I can barely use my PC because this keeps interrupting my work. It's on every fucking SD/USB stick I have and XP, Ubuntu and Vista won't let me format them. The problem is that this shit messes up with Google: it redirects the results to SPAM and virus pages. This is what I've done so far: I've tried using ComboFix, Ad-Aware, SuperAntiSpyware, NOD32 and some other antivirus/antispyware. They sometimes do detect malware, like in ComboFix's case, but the damn thing just won't go away. Tried formatting TWICE in the last three days, but got infected every time nevertheless.

I'm really tired of this crap. I just want to go away to be able to finish studying. I need to get rid of these malwares and format my memory sticks, including my MP3 player, which memory I can't access, but the device is working as it should. Can anyone help me?

2. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Errr if you say youve tried formatting you must be getting reinfected somehow via usb sticks or websites or something.

3. Joey Ravn
    OP

Spain
    Yes, that's obvious. I'm getting infected by the USB sticks. But if I can't format the USB sticks, I will get infected. Thus, I need to format the USB sticks before trying remove the malware on my computer. The problem is, I can't get the USB sticks formatted.

4. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    you need to do something when using combofix. if it's a rootkit, then you need gmer. you need to ask for a tech guide

can you post the combofix log? send it to me or to one of the forums like windowsbbs (which it takes a for you to noticed) or just try one in the bleeping computer.

are you using a WIndows based? press SHIFT while plugging a USB Flash drive. use Flash-disinfector to remove the malware or just explore the flash drive and un-hide everything

5. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  6. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    I prefer the kaspersky online scan first as it really scans well. then proceed with Malwarebytes Anti Malware.

give me the logs of combofix and kaspersky online scan or just post it in a anti-malware forum

7. Strider

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

You should really run a live linux from CD/DVD and format/empty everything (harddrives, flash-devices erc) of course after backing up important data.

Then reinstall.

Otherwise you'll never be sure your pc is clean and not running in a botnet, sending spam etc...

I just noticed you also wrote about Ubuntu: however, you need to really boot clean, and tell us why it can't format the devices... it is able to! Also, reinstalling by using the Windows install CD to format the drive isn't the same as cleaning the drive before using the install CD.

Well... nice. What do you want now ?
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=159677
    You might want to close this thread not to confuse people and ask for needless effort.

8. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    One of the problems might be that you're using multiple anti-virus programs. Windows itself ve to buy their product to says that you should not have more than one anti-virus application installed at a time. They cause conflicts with each other.

It could also be the spyware programs you're using I once saw on the news there are programs that purposely infect your computer so that you have to buy their product so it can be fixed. I recommend going to Microsoft's website and try one of those anti-virus apps (installed 1 at a time)

My HDD is completely messed up. The only reason I'm using it right now is because of a linux installation dvd I made long ago. But my problem is different from yours

9. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I would refrain from using _any_ applications on microsoft recommended list.
    Microsoft is a business oriented organization if they had a clue you wouldnt have such a vulnerable system to begin with.

The other thing you could do is buy a 2nd harddrive and remove the current one that way (unless something is nested in the bios). That way you are sure that isnt anything left when you reinstall.

At another point in time you can get rid of the virus on the harddrive once you have a clean system.

10. Joey Ravn
    OP

Spain
    Why should I close it? I have several PCs in my house: one with XP/Linux and one with Vista. I'm trying to get into Ubuntu, but I didn't uninstall XP to make the migration easier. I don't have time right now to fully dedicate my efforts to it, so I dual-boot. What's so wrong about it? Can't I use two systems at the time?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'm running Malwarbytes right now and it's picking up some threats. I'll try to report back when I get the chance. I'll try to post the reports on some anti-malware forum... I don't want to bother Stryder with my problems.

11. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    Locked at OP's request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.