OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi guys.

I have a DS lite and planning to purchase a Superkey combo (or something like that). However, I do not want to flash my DS lite ('coz I'm clumsy and I don't want to void the warranty). However I read in some posts that flashing is actually safer as it protects you from malicious softwares out on the net.

So my question is, if I just plan to use it for my own homebrew applications (and possibly commercial games) and not download softwares other than commercial roms, does that minimize chances of my ds lite getting bricked?

And how many malicious softwares are there? Last I read there were 2 trojans running around.

Anyone help?

Thanks all.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Only those 2 trojans are known. However, when you download illegal roms from shady places, who tells you that they are all clean? I would not risk it. Read the FlashMe instructions carefully, try not to damage the sticker so you can put it back in place but do flash your DS!

Rabbi Nevins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as long as you dont go running around downloading random homebrew and roms from places that cant always be trusted (irc usually) thats the only time you might run into it

if your getting supercard then i have a program that you run with any homebrew and it automatically converts it to the right format and checks for malicious code

if i were you i wouldnt worry about it...i havent flashed and i have NEVER run into any problems...

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Off topic but, since the topic's pretty much been answered... I was wondering how flashing your DS is going to protect it from malicious software. I see people saying that in a lot of places but, how can it? I mean, you're still going to be running "homebrewn" stuff and as long as you're doing that, there's always a chance you're going to run into a rogue ROM. And when that happens, your DS will get messed up, anyway
huh.gif

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
To flash a certain part of the firmware, you have to bridge SL1. If you have the original firmware and a bricker comes along, it destroys the parts it can and your DS is bricked. If you have FlashMe, the same happens. BUT: FlashMe has written a failsafe code in the protected section that loads FlashMe again if it's on the card and repairs the firmware. A bricker cannot overwrite this code as long as you don't short SL1 again.

shaoranm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
as long as you dont go running around downloading random homebrew and roms from places that cant always be trusted (irc usually) thats the only time you might run into it

Ei thanks for the info!

One more thing, can you suggest "safe" sites for downloads?

Thanks again!

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To flash a certain part of the firmware, you have to bridge SL1. If you have the original firmware and a bricker comes along, it destroys the parts it can and your DS is bricked. If you have FlashMe, the same happens. BUT: FlashMe has written a failsafe code in the protected section that loads FlashMe again if it's on the card and repairs the firmware. A bricker cannot overwrite this code as long as you don't short SL1 again.
Ah, so that's why it's safe. Thanks for the enlightenment
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn