Making nand backup on separate memory card

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by comput3rus3r, Feb 7, 2017.

1. comput3rus3r
    OP

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    My memory card is full. How can i make a nand backup on a second memory card? Which files does the new card need? Or can i just run decrypt9 take memory card out put new card in and do backup? Any help is appreciated

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Go into Hourglass9/Decrypt9, switch sd card when pressing select, put new one in and proceed to backup babd.

Zidapi likes this.
  3. Aletron9000

Aletron9000 3DS Master

May 10, 2016
    United States
    3DS ARM9 CPU
    Just place a files9 directory and place the Decrypt9.bin on the root of the sd card and name it "arm9loaderhax.bin". The second you turn on your 3ds, Decrypt9 will load automatically

4. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    The new sd card can be empty?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ok thanks

5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    yeah, you can use whatever method users told..
    first method, is launch hourglass\decrypt9 press the button to unmount sd card, create the nand backup and then switch it off and put back the original sd card

other is, creating the decrypt9\hourglass on the new sd card (to launch them) and create the backup there
    however for this method, i am not sure if you need to also put the luma files in the sd card

either one is the same thing...

6. addi33

addi33 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I think you have no actual clue how arm9loaderhax works I guess? the payloads are written to the FIRM partition of your NAND, what allows us to let the arm9loader run any valid arm9 payload. in our case its the arm9loaderhax.bin on the root of your sd card. so he just renames the arm9 payload of Decrypt9 arm9loaderhax.bin and thats it. he doesn't need the luma payload since he does not want to boot into the FW. he can freely boot any arm9 payload like he wants to. can be Luma3DS, Decrypt9, ReiNand or whatever. just needs to be a valid arm9 payload.

7. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    Ok thanks to all

8. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i forgot about that part that you can rename the decrypt\hourglass\whatever payload as arm9loaderhax.bin
    and i was worried you needed arm0loader file in the sd card because in my 3ds even if i have the arm9load file from luma installed on my nand (i can boot without SD card) if i have an empty sd card the console hangs in black screen, i suspect if there is a sd card it will ignore the arm9loader file in the NAND
    not sure if this behavior is only on my system (i used to have the old al9h install, and updated it for v2)

9. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    What's the difference between nandmin and just regular nand?

10. HyperT

HyperT GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2016
    full nand has ~300MB of blank space.
    Nandmin doesn't backup this empty space

comput3rus3r likes this.
  11. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    ok great. any reason why anybody would want to backup the empty space? why is it even an option?

12. HyperT

HyperT GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2016
    I believe it was just the initial option; i.e. dump all of nand - so code wise it's simpler I guess. Also the full is a 1:1 of the nand - which some might feel is 'better' to have.

Functionally they're the same and I think even for hardmods they act the same.

Similarly a ctrnand backup is a back of one of the nand partitions; still a viable backup for a9lh systems - just not for hardmods

Last edited by HyperT, Feb 8, 2017
    comput3rus3r likes this.
  13. comput3rus3r
    OP

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    thanks for taking your time to explain it.