Hacking making eshop work on region changed old3ds?

butfluffy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i recently region changed my spare o3ds from eur to usa following the 3dsguide tutorial, everything went fine but i get an error when i try to access the eshop because it seems the o3ds had accessed the eshop previously from a different region.
i checked out his tutorial https://github.com/Plailect/Guide_RedNAND/wiki/Region-Changing involving hex editing the secureinfo file to allow eshop to work on the region changed o3ds but i have a problem.
after performing the region change i was expecting the eshop to work so i performed the system update from the 3ds settings menu so now my region changed, luma installed o3ds is on the latest 3ds system software.
the problem is that guide in the link i posted says to hex edit the secure info file, then delete some left over files with fbi and then perform the sysupdate.
my question is if it is ok to hex edit the secure info file after performing the sysupdate to latest 3ds software version.
i really don't want to mess anything up by editing anything after the sysupdate if it will break anything.
any help would be great guys. i want to purchase some undumped usa only titles and make them available to the title keys site and some other usual places preserving them before they are gone for good.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's an extremely outdated guide for region changing dude.... Did you read the disclaimer from the 3ds.guide? You HAVE to create a new NNID to use eShop on a different region. Also, there is another disclaimer that literally says "Note that occasionally the eShop will inexplicably still not work for devices that it should work for. This is entirely to do with Nintendo’s servers, and I really do not have any control over it." If it doesn't work, there may not be a fix.

So basically messing with your secureinfo_A isn't going to help you at all if you already did the swap through a CTRNAND transfer. Not to mention you're on an O3DS so your reboot patches are broken until you format the system (means you can't play EM games like Pokemon Sun, Super Smash etc)

Reactions: fmhugo

butfluffy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i did read the disclaimer and i created a new nnid on the new region. i also already performed the system format.
i figured that the secureinfo hex edit was a step which could be taken if the eshop inexplicably does not work on a 3ds which it should work on.
i get the error code which i think means that nintendo servers can see that my o3ds has accessed the eshop on a previous region despite using CTRNAND transfer for the region change.

Reactions: Majickhat55

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i did read the disclaimer and i created a new nnid on the new region. i also already performed the system format.
i figured that the secureinfo hex edit was a step which could be taken if the eshop inexplicably does not work on a 3ds which it should work on.
i get the error code which i think means that nintendo servers can see that my o3ds has accessed the eshop on a previous region despite using CTRNAND transfer for the region change.
That could very well be a cause, especially since your device ID is tied to your region/serial# and after 11.3 eShop will only work with a legitimate pair. I'm honestly not sure if using eShop is possible at all anymore on region changed consoles unless you've never created an NNID at all. Who knows....

butfluffy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That could very well be a cause, especially since your device ID is tied to your region/serial# and after 11.3 eShop will only work with a legitimate pair. I'm honestly not sure if using eShop is possible at all anymore on region changed consoles unless you've never created an NNID at all. Who knows....

the thing is i got this o3ds a while back second hand so the previous owner must have acessed the eshop. i really don't fancy purchasing a brand new 3rd 3ds or a usa 3ds anytime soon but i really want to get those usa only titles.
region exclusive games suck and i don't know why nintendo or other game giants continue with this practice. especially for digital games, it's crazy.
the only other avenue i can think of is asking around to see if anyone anline would be happy to dump them. i would pay for the games of course. maybe by purchasing eshop cards and sharing the codes or something like that.
all depends if i can find people with us eshop accounts dedicated enough to preserving the games i guess.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the thing is i got this o3ds a while back second hand so the previous owner must have acessed the eshop. i really don't fancy purchasing a brand new 3rd 3ds or a usa 3ds anytime soon but i really want to get those usa only titles.
region exclusive games suck and i don't know why nintendo or other game giants continue with this practice. especially for digital games, it's crazy.
the only other avenue i can think of is asking around to see if anyone anline would be happy to dump them. i would pay for the games of course. maybe by purchasing eshop cards and sharing the codes or something like that.
all depends if i can find people with us eshop accounts dedicated enough to preserving the games i guess.
You can always check those warez sites too like THAT one site. I'll bet anything more than a few are available as .CIAs already you can just download to archive yourself. Whatever you can't find, you can at least request or hope someone uploads the keys for freeshop.

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance for instance.... The .CIA is on that one site.

butfluffy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
these ones are not available on any naughty sites or the title keys site.
the games have been released a for a long time and i gather there was not enough interest in them to purchase and dump.
heres a list of games i know of which are only on the US eshop and have not been dumped

got them all dumped now

from a games i would like to play standpoint, some of them i'm more interested in than others but i would like to be able to get them all dumped for preservation reasons.
in years to come we may not be able to complete rom preservation collections if eshop exclusive titles don't get dumped while they are still available.

Last edited by butfluffy,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
these ones are not available on any naughty sites or the title keys site.
the games have been released a for a long time and i gather there was not enough interest in them to purchase and dump.
heres a list of games i know of which are only on the US eshop and have not been dumped

Big Bass Arcade - No Limit
Boxzle
City Mysteries
Hiden Haunts - Gothic Masquerade
Hideaways: Foggy Valley
Lola's ABC Party
Plain Video Poker
Secret Empires of the Ancient World
Smash Bowling 3d

from a games i would like to play standpoint, some of them i'm more interested in than others but i would like to be able to get them all dumped for preservation reasons.
in years to come we may not be able to complete rom preservation collections if eshop exclusive titles don't get dumped while they are still available.
Well if all else fails you can always send an American some money through PayPal and have them buy/dump/upload them for you.

Reactions: Quantumcat

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
You shouldn't touch the SecureInfo file.
If you've already successfully region changed your 3DS, it means that SecureInfo was already edited properly, otherwise it wouldn't even boot.
Most likely, it indeed has accessed eShop on its original region, that would explain why eShop doesn't work.
Now, there's two ways to try to fix that, both will require you to restore the console to the state before region changing*:
1. If that system didn't have a NNID linked, you'll have open eShop and remove eShop account.
2. If there was a NNID linked, you'll have to unlink it first, then open eShop to make it reset data on server.
*For second case (NNID linked) there's another way to reset data, without changing back to original region.
Of course, there's still a chance that eShop cannot be fixed for that particular console (e.g. if it was a bundle model that came with a preinstalled title).

butfluffy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
whats the other way to reset data without changing back to original version?
my first reason for region change is so oregon trail dsiware game would which it does now. for some reason that game wont work on a EU console even though luma3ds is completly region free. it's an odd one.
once i performed the region change i figured oh i can use this 3ds to purchase those damn US exclusives but then hit the ehsop error lol.

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
my first reason for region change is so oregon trail dsiware game would which it does now. for some reason that game wont work on a EU console even though luma3ds is completly region free. it's an odd one.
Yeah, I know about Oregon Trail, wasn't I the one who told you about that on that Chaos site? :P
The other way involves using yifan lu's custom 3ds loader.
You're using Luma, right? If so, create a folder named "sysmodules", put loader.cxi there and place it into luma folder on your SD card.
In Luma's settings check "Enable loading external FIRMs and modules".
Load eShop on your region changed system, if you get an error 011-3136 - congratulations, it worked.
Next time you launch eShop, it should link your new NNID.
But if you get another error - sorry, either you'll have to try to restore original region and delete eShop account, or this console can't access region changed eShop at all.

P.S. don't forget to disable loading external modules later, else it will interfere with Luma's own patches.

Last edited by redunka,
Reactions: Stealphie

butfluffy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah your right you are the one that told me about the oregon trail working on US units. i did not know how to setup a US emunand on my N3DS XL so i thought what the hell and region changed the old spare o3ds.
i will look into what you posted and see if it works.
if not it's either get someone with US account and pay them to dump the games or purchase a old hopefully cheap 3ds from the US.

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
yeah your right you are the one that told me about the oregon trail working on US units. i did not know how to setup a US emunand on my N3DS XL so i thought what the hell and region changed the old spare o3ds.
i will look into what you posted and see if it works.
if not it's either get someone with US account and pay them to dump the games or purchase a old hopefully cheap 3ds from the US.
Well, if it won't work, I'd like to help you to dump them (as I have access to USA eShop), but I don't have PayPal, so… :(
The only way to give me money for those games would be giving me digital eShop codes, but that's probably won't be very convenient.
By the way, thank you for all those DSiWare dumps, it's really nice to see that there are people that care about preserving them. ^^

butfluffy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
your welcome for the dsiware dumps. for me the main thing is preservation, i got into the 3ds scene very late so i'm hoping to get them before they get removed from eshop.
i also have not got paypal anymore. my account got hacked and someone was placing money in it. good job it was not money being removed lol.
regarding eshop codes it may be as simple as purchasing the eshop card code and sending it to you. i would need to look into it.
i have been dumping more dsiware stuff, i have added them to the titlekeys site. they pop up in wiiusbhelper after a few days and should be showing up on freeshop aswell.

Reactions: redunka

ootnes2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heres a list of games i know of which are only on the US eshop
Big Bass Arcade - No Limit
Boxzle
City Mysteries
Hiden Haunts - Gothic Masquerade
Hideaways: Foggy Valley
Lola's ABC Party
Plain Video Poker
Secret Empires of the Ancient World
Smash Bowling 3d

Took one for the team and will preserve (which does not mean distribute online) plain video poker, city mysteries, hideaways: foggy valley, boxzle, smash bowling 3d, and big bass arcade: no limit. You will need to convince some other fool to take care of the rest...

Can't seem to embed a screenshot of my home menu, but here's a link: https://ibb.co/d0duxw

Last edited by ootnes2,

butfluffy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thats great that you purchased some so at least someone has them preserved. i may still have to find someone to purchase them though because i want to have a copy of all preserved games and some i want to play.
the good thing about distributing games online is that multiple people have a copy which is good for preservation and one day these roms will hopefully end up in preserved in rom sets like no intro so people can enjoy them years after nintendo remove them from the eshop servers.

ootnes2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats great that you purchased some so at least someone has them preserved. i may still have to find someone to purchase them though because i want to have a copy of all preserved games and some i want to play.
the good thing about distributing games online is that multiple people have a copy which is good for preservation and one day these roms will hopefully end up in preserved in rom sets like no intro so people can enjoy them years after nintendo remove them from the eshop servers.

If you want Big Bass or Smash Bowling they are on sale through Monday, so you may as well have whomever gets them for you get them now.

Last edited by ootnes2,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
They're not really preserved if you don't make them available to other people. If I have some rare never before seen Leonardo Di Vinci painting in my house but I let nobody see it, did it ever exist? Better to let historians have a look, catalogue it in books, make posters of it for regular people to own, etc. Then nobody will forget it ever existed

butfluffy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have purchased them all with help from redunka and they have been shared on a very common site so all good for preservation of these games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night