Make Money Gaming True or False?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by ponygals, Apr 21, 2017.

Apr 21, 2017
  1. ponygals
    OP

Member ponygals GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Can you really make money gaming online? I've heard you can from different websites like Twitch or YouTube among other sites, but then I have heard false stuff that, earning a living that way doesn't exist or happen. What do you think? Is this true or false? Know of anyone making big bucks from doing what they love?

2. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    In order to make a living off of services like Twitch or Youtube, you need to have millions of subscribers/followers before you can actually "live" off of gaming. And in order to get millions of subscribers/follows, you have to spend years gaining a follower base unless you somehow leech off of some other extremely popular Youtuber/streamer. And since Youtube/Twitch is an extremely saturated market, pretty much no newcomers are going to make it that far.

Joe88 and Meteor7 like this.
  3. DeoNaught

Member DeoNaught GREAT LURKER OF GBATEMP

United States
    Evantually, you need to have a big base of fans.

Like so
    Spoiler

4. Sonic Angel Knight

Member Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

United States
    You got just as much chance doing this than you do with esports except that more of how good you are at games than others. Is all dependent on support from other people, rather than just a job working and getting paid for your efforts. You get supported for your unique content rather than your efforts.

DeoNaught likes this.
  5. MadMageKefka

Member MadMageKefka GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Pretty much what Tom said. If you play a lot of games anyway, playing them online on Twitch isn't a terrible idea. You can easily make some spare cash via donations. It wont be anything even remotely close to a lot, or enough to live off of, but hey, free money is free money.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There are various shades of gold farming, though I am not sure what is hot right now. It is probably the closest to anything you can do as a daily grind job with an immediate and regular payout, and you would be far better off doing mechanical turk or skill selling websites if you want to make money online.
    You can buy and resell games, fix devices and maybe build cool parts, though margins are tight (gamers are by and large incredibly frugal bastards compared to almost every other hobby -- I have full soldering gear and the ability to use it, some of the gaming stuff is at least vaguely interesting too, I do anything but deal with gaming types in that world though).
    There are means of gambling on computer games as well, though fly by night would be so far up from where a lot of that is now that it might as well be in another solar system (I really seem to be into my space metaphors and analogies lately...). You can gamble on "esports" things fairly cleanly (though compared to more conventional sports it is still back alley) but as far as putting up an ante and taking it if you win then not so much.

With regards to youtube and co I would go one further. The amount of people that are big now tended to come up during the wild west days where you could cut 50 different unrelated films, music tracks and other games into a video and nobody really cared. Equally right now youtube seems to be making a push to be TV alternative (already there for me but there are still more to get) and that means those that get pushed seem to be those with lots of regular content, every day -- build it and they will come was never really a thing, built and make sure there is new content was but now it is build it and make sure there is new content every day near enough is the new norm. As you probably don't have a video production team (watch all the biggest channels, they will either be old school news stations with the video gear and ability to do fast turnaround or incredibly simple to edit) then you are unlikely to be able to compete there.
    There is of course scope for someone to come in with something new, or to beat out any that came before. Always is for anything. Reliably being able to do that and make something worth speaking of out of the gate? Hahahaha... classic. Maybe you could put a reel/demo/whatever together and make a pitch to some sites or, horror of horrors, a multi channel network (by and large I doubt I would piss on any mcn out there if it was on fire) with the idea for a one a la traditional films and TV but good luck with that.

Millions might be a bit strong, though it is going to need to be a lot. If it is not millions then you also get to push your own adverts, your own merch, maybe all those tip cup/electronic begging sites (paypal donate, patreon and such like).

7. ponygals
    OP

United States
    Yeah I see what you mean.

8. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Aside from the mentioned one (gold farming and youtube adds), there is esports. However, there, the online part is only needed to get some fame in order to get invited. Winning matches and tournaments is where the money is at. Except... Competitive players don't fool around.

9. gamesquest1

Member gamesquest1 Nabnut

United Kingdom
    yeah sure, wait for snes mini to be release, buy 20000 of them and hold them at ransom for $900 each on ebay and retire to barbados

10. ponygals
    OP

United States
    Haha I wish I could do that lol.

11. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    You don't need millions of viewers, that's just a common misconception. Generally videos enter being pretty profitable around the 50k views range. You wont exactly be a king but it's sustainable if you accept sponsored content or do in-video ads. Relying purely on google ads for youtube payouts is definitely not going to make you much of anything. Especially currently...
    Subscriber count is a very poor medium for guessing the profitability of an account. It's all about the views. Some channels get really tight knit dedicated fans and even with something like 400-500k subs you can hit 100k+ views consistently. Whereas some youtubers with over a million subscribers might get around 50k. Views are what matters. That's all advertisers care about. Being a good youtuber is a lot of work though. Most of your growth hinges on posting daily, and most youtubers either hire editors or put a LOT of work into editing videos. It's not too often shittily edited youtubers make it very far. At least, i've never seen any aside from attention whoring sluts. They got boobs, they don't need editing.

For Twitch you pretty much just have to hope you catch whales. People who love throwing money at you to keep you coming back to stream more. Twitch takes quite a lot of the money from subscriptions and re-subs so most of the profitability comes from viewers donating.
    If you watch Twitch streamers a lot you notice most of the big donations are the same people time and time again. But the bigger you get, the bigger your net. Twitch is pretty much just luck based if you get going or not honestly. A lot of twitch streamers are fucking idiots and horrible to watch but people do anyway. So there's room for all personality types as long as you can be entertaining in some form. Oh and a lot of popular twitch streamers get sponsorships to advertise site logos and stuff on their stream. That's pretty passive income for bigger twitch streamers.

There are other jobs like esports, but that requires a tremendous amount of time and dedication. There's also gaming journalism and stuff like that, though they're obviously not pure playing videogames for money.

It's pretty much just like striking gold. It's not very likely, but the more effort you put in the better your odds are at least. It's definitely not as easy as people make it seem. But it is possible to do.

12. ponygals
    OP

United States
    Haha yeah I figured much. Making money the easy way via online sucks lol. It is much too difficult.