Translucentbill

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Well recently my old dell 2001 has been working fine, up until last night it will randomly restart itself every 10-15 minutes. I have read around and i believe its over heating... i am fine with that its time to get rid of it anyways.

I suspect the same thing is happening with my dell XPS, it will just randomly freeze completely and i have to manually restart it. When i have multiple things open i can press alt + tab and see my AIM screen, Firefox, etc. But i cannot switch between them, it just moves the cursor through the little alt + tab window then that window disappears and i still cant do anything but move my mouse and continue to press alt + tab.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this? I have checked the fans while its running and they are all going (i think =X)

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I never had a dell so I can only assume that the hard drives are going bad or the OS is going out of whack.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not too sure since I never used a dell before. It might mean that you're having a strain on the CPU; it might be that your CPU cooler is out-of-date, not working properly, or just useless. Since it depends on how much CPU usage you're using on that Dell Computer/Laptop of yours.

Personally I believe if you bought a Laptop like a few years ago without a good amount of GB's and little RAM like less than 1GB then its useless.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Possible causes:
1) PSU went bad (try something to check your voltages, like the BIOS' HW Status)
2) Hard Disk with bad sectors (try using a S.M.A.R.T. Diagnostic Program, like Everest)
3) Corrupt RAM (use memtest86)
4) Overheating (like playallday said, use a monitor checking utility)
5) Blown Capacitors on motherboard (you'll have to replace them)

kintesh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
kool

you know what i also have same problem and i know how to fix mine and i do that soon.

just liek you my computer randomly freeze and i have to manually restart it. when i open .pdf and .flash and sites with too much stuff like ign. and when it freeze u cant do any thing not even move mouse. i als left my pc on for 2 days thinking that it will come back but no it did not.

after lots of upgrades to my pc like ram, graphics fans, fresh install of windows, fresh ubuntu. but same problem so i decided to some hard research. i found out that if your mother board have bad Capacitor (plague) which makes your you computer freezes but it does not affect your os.

so look for bumped or licked Capacitor on your motherboard. if u found one than you need to buy new motherboard.

it's just Capacitor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

hope this helps you,

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dell XPS
dry.gif
are known to have heat issues, care to share more specs.

Most likely its about something else, but if i recall well, those damn dell things overheat all the time xD, do as suggested above, run some temp, memory, HD tests, report your results.

Happened to a 720 H2C that i used to own, that damn thing used to always overheat, got rid of it, and ever since started making my own custom builds, much better.

Translucentbill

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay im going to download all the suggested programs and ill record shortly what the results are.
Thanks guys

EDIT:

hwmonitor.png

Thats the scan with HWMonitor

Memtest86+ showed no issues.

The capacitors looked fine.

Also i forgot to mention that when i run my PC fix up software (avansquest) when i do certain scans it will freeze at the same point every time...
It also freezes when i want to shut down and sometimes when i want to log off.
And today when i left for school after posting this, i left firefox up to see if it was in fact overheating from being left on and it was still running fine.

EDIT2: I downloaded Everest, what am i looking for with that?
How do i check the voltages?

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your temps don't look suspicious at all, but where on earth is your CPU temp ?

As for Everest if i recall well you can see the voltages for every component in your PC by going to its respective category. i.e. if you open up the CPU information, you can see the voltage there. As for keeping Firefox open, errrmmmm try something that exhausts more of your CPU, fire up a game for an hour or so, or stream some video online.

Please check your CPU temperature, use Speedfan for that, Google is your friend here
biggrin.gif
Report back. To the best of my knowledge, high CPU usage, combined with improper voltages will generate heat = many of the errors you are getting. Thus it may something wrong with your PSU. But its too early to speculate.

kintesh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
i tell u man,

look at every capacitor from every angle. and feel the top of it i u even see a tiny bump that also make you pc freeze.

when i first check them i had no problem than i rechecked them in my garden in sunlight and there was tiny bump, overs the 2years they got bigger and not only one but 7 of them.

i also noticed that when the problem first begin it use to freeze a lot but since all of them are bumped it freeze Les frequently.
i have not upgraded the motherboard yet, but i am going to do it soon.

LOOK AGAIN, and you might thank me
smile.gif

EDIT: i also check my pc with pcwizard and it says i don't have any ram and processor. this is because of my bac capacitors (bad motherboard)

Translucentbill

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, i havent had time to check the forum lately i've been swamped with school work.
The capacitors are fine i've checked them numerous times now.

EDIT: I never got around to getting the other results but the freezings have become rare. Its deffinetly not overheating because i've been *getting things via the internet* for a few days now and i've been running daily virus scans on everything i download. If it gets any worse im just taking it in the pc shop, thanks for your help everyone!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over