Major lag on FF:CC:EOT on wi-fi

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by imz, Mar 28, 2009.

Mar 28, 2009

Major lag on FF:CC:EOT on wi-fi by imz at 1:05 PM (1,213 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. imz
    OP

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    I wouldn't normally complain, but it is literally unplayable. Every time I tap the D-pad to walk in a direction, it takes 3 seconds to respond, and this happens all the time, there isn't one time where the game plays at normal speed on wi-fi. I tried both continental and worldwide and i get exactly the same problem, also I tried going very close to my wireless router and it didn't change anything. What's going on?

2. The_JetSetBeat

Member The_JetSetBeat GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What's going on is that Nintendo WiFi sucks, especially for this game. Everyone is having this problem.

3. uyt286

Newcomer uyt286 Member

United States
    on my ds, when i host and do continental there is no lag at all...

4. Zekolot

Newcomer Zekolot Member

United States
    Because as host you don't have any lag.

5. TwinBlades

Member TwinBlades GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    Guys its the game not the wifi. (Says in gamespot somewhere) Also for me when ever I play worldwide it works like as if Im on single. I live in Canada as well.

6. The_JetSetBeat

United States
    That makes no sense. If it was the game, then why would Worldwide be better than Continental? The game is still connecting to Nintendo WiFi in the same manner either way. Don't believe everything you read on Gamespot (of all places).

Are you sure you weren't playing "Invite" rather than "Visit" when you tried Worldwide? If you were playing Invite, you were hosting, and of course you're not going to get lag if you're hosting. A lot of people don't seem to be understanding that.

--

7. GhostToast

Member GhostToast GBAtemp Regular

United States
    on a slightly related issue (ok barely),
    is anyone else getting slow-downs when there is a lot of activity on screen? i'm wondering if its just the game, or if my microSD card sucks (noticed the same thing at times during GTA:CW), or if maybe i just need to reformat it. i'm nervous to try to reformat it.

8. Ventus

Newcomer Ventus Member

Sweden
    I also receive rather annoying lags whilst running around in vastly crowded areas where a lot of actions take place at the same time.
    But that happens with a lot of real DS-carts as well. Such as Lost Magic and Ring of Fates, so I wouldn't be too worried. [​IMG]

9. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States
    Why would you be NERVOUS to format your card? Just BACKUP everything on it, and format it. Use SDFormatter V2.0

10. Dragonmasta666

Newcomer Dragonmasta666 Member

United States
    Yes the game has framerate issues during more intense scenes. I play online with my buddy all the time and our lag is no more than a quarter second at most. Its pretty responsive.

11. TwinBlades

Member TwinBlades GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    Its the game! Do you see everyone else running around smoothly while you dont? Do you see the background of the bottom screen moving smoothly (those little figures go across the screen)? Its delay in the game not the wifi. Also thats not lag if you see those happening, its when everyone freezes for a bit and hard to play = lag not when everyone else is playing fine and moving smoothly = delay [​IMG]

12. The_JetSetBeat

United States
    Have you just never played games online or something before FFCC:ETO? [​IMG]

Lag most certainly CAN look like people "moving smoothly"; you're just not seeing it right when they're trying to do so. Lag also can be when you try to move and aren't able to for a certain amount of time (as is the case with FFCC). Street Fighter IV is a great recent example of this, where it's very difficult to pull off combos and quick reaction moves because when the game lags, it can cause your inputs to show after you actually do so.

Lag doesn't always look like people freezing or "jittering". Play a few more games online and experience the different ways that lag looks before believing that the game itself is the problem (again, even though it works fine for both local wireless play and for the person hosting the game).

13. imz
    OP

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    It's a bit better now, I've noticed it's improved after the first few wi-fi matches. Also when I invite people to my world, I experience almost no lag at all, however when I visits someone else's, the lag varies from playable to terrible

14. The_JetSetBeat

United States
    Again, of course you don't get lag when you're the host.