Mafia 3 Locked at 30FPS for PC

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Jiehfeng, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria
    Under your fucking chair.
    Mafia 3 just released today, and the PC port got a bonus feature along with the release; a 30fps cap. It sadly isn't like any other game where you could just change that in an .ini file, and even so that causes problems. The steam community blew up in outrage and the game has been receiving countless negative reviews as soon as the game was unlocked which were only based on the 30fps cap.

I myself had gotten the preorder of the game as a gift, and as excited as I was, I sadly will not be able to enjoy it on release day. Fret not for those who were also anticipating to play the game as smoothly as possible, for a patch is due for this weekend, along with a few other fixes as some players have reported that the PC Port is not that great.
    Bad PC ports on release day seems to be becoming a thing now, and it's almost as if that it's all done on purpose, considering such a simple thing like an FPS lock be overlooked.

:arrow:Source

Chary likes this.
  2. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    While it's a bummer that it's going to be capped at 30, they're at least upfront about it, AND it's going to be patched immediately. PC version footage doesn't look like it runs too badly either. It's not going to affect my purchase in any way, and it shouldn't get people so riled up, either.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  3. Trolling

Trolling This Username is taken. Problem?

Jul 29, 2012
    Netherlands
    Behind you
    30FPS. It should be illegal.

4. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

GBAtemp Patron
    Haider Raza is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    Its already got patched by voksi & will be available soon by fitgirl.

5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    ok, i understand that they use the frame per seconds locks for timings of all kinds of stuff... so everything is syncronized and works like a clock!
    however i do not understand why it must be 30 FPS instead the 60!
    this is just bullshit...
    i don't know about the audience in general but why isn't smoothness preferable over extra pixels...

6. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Wasn't the 30fps cap first publicized by pcgamer.com, which got picked up by a bunch of other outlets, resulting in an at least partially deserved shit storm on the steam forums, before they acknowledged it and announced the patch?

If so that's not "upfront", that's PR damage control mode.

Last edited by bkifft, Oct 7, 2016
    Armadillo and migles like this.
  7. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    damn consoles dumbing down pc ports. just cos their shitty hardware can't handle 60fps :glare:

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

and yet recore still isn't available...

Chary likes this.
  8. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It's not that "shitty hardware can't handle 60FPS", it's that devs consider shiny graphics to be more important than hitting 60FPS, so they pump up the graphic quality until the console can't run it at 60 anymore. If they were to develop the same game for better consoles, all you'd see is an even shinier 30FPS game.

9. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    This.

Straight up damage control.

Best to wait for them to actually deliver the patch & see if it performs well. Too many games that are "targetting 30" take a huge amount to brute force to 60 as it was never a consideration.

10. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    as much as I like 60FPS, I do not like when developers are forced to redesign their game last minute to make 60 and unlimited work. I think every game developer should be allowed to use whatever FPS that they feel the game should run in for delivering the experiences they wanted to portray.

Nobody complained to the point of spamming bad reviews when Donkey Kong 64 and the Banjo Series came out on N64 and was anywhere from 10 to 30 FPS.
    It was nice that Rare made the XBLA versions of Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie both in Widescreeen HD and 60FPS, but I would have been fine with the treatment DK64 VC got on Nintendo's end.*

* assuming Tooie would do Widescreen like the real N64 version, whereas Donkey Kong 64 had widescreen support ignored on Wii U VC.

11. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    They're not being forced though.

They are free to deliver a 30fps experiance, you just have to accept the impact it will have on pc sales.

The negative steam reviews are just because they hid it. If devs had been open about the 30fps lock, then you wouldn't get negative reviews as those buying it would know what to expect.

Last edited by Armadillo, Oct 8, 2016
  12. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips a seldom-used crab named Lucky

Mar 10, 2015
    United States
    Mafia 2 was an awesome game, so i don't think this game should be so quickly judged just because of the minor inconvenience of a 30fps cap for a few days

Jiehfeng and Tomato Hentai like this.
  13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Erm...no. I can name a few early nineties games that used processing power as a measurement (and who ran retardedly fast on even newer machines of that generation), but ever since graphic cards became a thing, no one did something as stupid as tying ingame timings to framerate. Which is as stupid as it sounds, as the developer has no idea how that will be on the receiving end (it could be either higher or lower than they were shooting for).

The 'synchronize' thing is just that the version plays the same on all systems. A framerate lock has no advantages to anyone (except perhaps those who really, really, REALLY hate the guys using comparison video's to show that a decent gaming PC outclasses a console).

It is. But we're talking of an audience who spend hundreds of dollars EXTRA* to be able to play games in the best possible way. Of course they don't like to see their investments invalidated because a peasant with an "average" gamer might get the same framerate as them. It's like with cars: you can argue that there's no need for cars to be able to drive three times the speed limit when all they will do is stand still in traffic jams...but these cars get made and sold anyway.

*compare prices of a reasonable PC that can handle every current-day game (though not on max settings) and a high end gaming PC

14. IpsoFact0

IpsoFact0 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 30, 2015
    Canada
    The Six
    30FPS so its perfectly playable game? sweet.

15. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria
    People over at steam have zero patience and refunds are flooding cause no one can wait a day or two. It's sad, but at least all the retards will be out of the mafia fan base.

Oh also as for the game, 4 hours in and it's been absolutely a blast. The music is absolutely amazing, and nostalgic for me as I've listened to most of these 60s songs as a kid. The gameplay is really fun, the shootouts, animations, sound effects, sound of the engine, playboy magazines ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) and so on are really great.

It's one of those games where you don't wanna get out of your car cause of the music.

Last edited by Jiehfeng, Oct 8, 2016
  16. spiderman1216

spiderman1216 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    Canada
    This shouldn't have been a patch, this should have been a thing day one, people are fine with delays as long as the product is up to snuff.

17. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria
    Well the patch just came out earlier today, the fps lock is up and a keyboard mapping issue was fixed in it.
    I have a 1070 and performance is not that great even when the lock is up, average is 45-55, minimum goes to the 33's, and these are at low settings. At max settings average is 33-48. Both at 1080p.
    Not very good. Though the weird part is there literally is no difference between max and low, I myself couldn't almost notice a change at all. 2K Says they're still working on future patches soon.

The game has a weird blur effect and the colours look washed out, a guy made a SweetFX mod that really makes the game look gorgeous, and performance only goes down by 1-2fps.