Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Macbook Air

IMO it's a crappy idea, it has the same footprint as a normal macbook, its just thinner and almost twice as expensive. Your storage options are a really expensive SSD or a hard drive that writes even slower then an SSD. Hey look, my eeepc fits in an envelope too, it doesn't fit as well as a MBA does, but who the hell stores their laptops in envelopes?

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dare I use the term "air" to describe the heads' of the people that will buy this?

(Not while ZeWarrior and/or Urza is lurking)

On topic?: Talk about how alienware is overpriced.....

On topic: How easily would it break?

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Completely true. Cool design, at a first glance that is. Until you realize that pretty much everything we use these days have been stripped away or reduced significantly. I know it still has enough parts to work by itself, but I use more than 1 usb port commonly. And I sure as hell use my DVD drive.

I would however be very impressed if these few omissions were rectified with little change to the current design.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I could actually use this as my laptop because the only ports I use (most of the time) are 1 or 2 USB ports (often they are not used though) and my CD drive is mainly for installing OSs (which can be done via USB).

But for $1800? Hahahahahahaha no

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The Macbook Air

IMO it's a crappy idea, it has the same footprint as a normal macbook, its just thinner and almost twice as expensive. Your storage options are a really expensive SSD or a hard drive that writes even slower then an SSD. Hey look, my eeepc fits in an envelope too, it doesn't fit as well as a MBA does, but who the hell stores their laptops in envelopes?
I'm an Apple fan, but not one of the MacBook Air. But honestly, what was the point of creating a thread that is about how crappy it is?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So many things wrong with this

1) It's way too thin, it's gonna break. Something is gonna get put on top of it, or it's going to fall 2 inches and break or something.
2) 1 USB port.
3) No CD/DVD drive. How the heck am I supposed to install anything.
4) No ethernet port. Wireless only.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

1) It's way too thin, it's gonna break. Something is gonna get put on top of it, or it's going to fall 2 inches and break or something.
2) 1 USB port.
I have a relative who bought a Toshiba R100. Now, the thing was really thin... but had absolutely no CD/DVD drive so he had to pay more for an external DVD drive that plugs into a USB port. Maybe that's how Apple intends to make more money. Selling Apple brand external DVD drive but you'll find yourself screwed if you need to use the port for a USB pen or other USB device.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
for the DVD/CD drive part. they said something about you can use someone elses on a network... what if your not on a network/live alone?!
mellow.gif
...nice job apple NOT!!!

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i like it. for light home use i'd rather have that than my pro. it'd be cool if it could be used as a satellite computer connected wirelessly to the 16 core duo. i'd buy that in a heart beat.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
I have zero interest in buying the machine but it's not for you or me. It's for people who travel with their machines and the weight of it really matters (if I did more international flying I could see it being useful) and people that have to use their machines for relatively light weight applications (presentations, like Powerpoint and Keynote) in public often.

I use an MBP as my primary machine and even at 15" it's a pain to carry around. While I wouldn't buy an MBA, it still is a machine with some merits and maybe the right combination of features for a certain subset.

F

Fiddy101

What I don't understand is that they said they took out a lot of stuff that is in a normal Macbook yet its much more expensive shouldn't it be cheaper because it has less stuff in it ?

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got an eee pc as well. It's very portable and very reasonably priced. You can buy five of these for the price of a MacBook Air.

I went to a cafe a while ago, and there were 7 (!) people sitting there with a Mac. Just one guy had a regular laptop. I always thought people paid a lot of money to be different, but I guess not.

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What I don't understand is that they said they took out a lot of stuff that is in a normal Macbook yet its much more expensive shouldn't it be cheaper because it has less stuff in it ?

They had to re-devellop everything so it could be smaller... Did you see the chip comparison? with the macbook processor and the air? It is a lot smaller, this cost more $$ I guess..

2) 1 USB port.
I heard that there will be some sort of system in which you can insert a cd in an apple or macbook and ''stream'' it to you mac air..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s