Low headphone volume?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Anne Noise, Nov 12, 2012.

Nov 12, 2012

Low headphone volume? by Anne Noise at 9:20 PM (1,275 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Anne Noise
    OP

Member Anne Noise GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've tried three different sets of headphones and my 3DS XL is super quiet with all of them. All the headphones work fine on other devices, on my laptop and phone and speakers; the MP3's I was listening to are good quality, and games are kind of dull too. Any ideas?

2. Latiken

Member Latiken GBATemp's Epic Fusion

United States
    Are you sure its inserted all the way? Maybe theres some dust in the headphone jack.

3. Black ace

Member Black ace GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I don't remember the details but the 3DS is set to have a low volume with headphones to prevent ear damage.

Langin likes this.
  4. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    Define "super quiet"

5. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    What Black Ace said,

Nintendo has done this on purpose, some countries do not allow devices with a high max volume level, like those iPod Touches those are WAY too loud. To prevent this some governments made a law to prevent devices having a high volume. Nintendo didn't want any problems, so they well lowered the max volume so they did not have to make different units for each country.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Gotta' confirm the above. Hell, some devices (like the Sansa Fuze) had firmware updates and one of them lowered the max volume if your region was set to EU. People downgraded or changed the set region to get around this.

(Or just used Rockbox).

7. RedCoreZero

Banned RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

United States
    Uhhhm, maybe your in a loud place.If it were quiet that thing would be on blast.

8. Anne Noise
    OP

Member Anne Noise GBAtemp Regular

United States
    They are plugged in all the way.

I am walking through the backwoods of Colorado, there is no noise pollution. The same three sets of headphones I tried in my phone at the same setting is normal - comfortable listening level for the stuff I normally listen to. When plugged into my 3DS, the volume is, I'd say, about 40% of the max volume of the average volume of my other devices.

Makes sense, just a bit of a bummer, I guess. I was hoping to be able to just bring my 3DS on walks and listen to music on it, but even in the quiet out here it renders most of my quiet music unlistenable and even louder stuff is just, like... dampened. It's pretty poo. Whatever, I have other options. Thanks.

9. Zero

Banned Zero Belief will always save me

United States
    I hate this. When the 3DS gets hacked someone needs to make a hack for louder sound. Seriously.

10. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    Hmmm depends on it, if someone hacks it to make the speakers louder, the speakers may start crackling or dunno how that's called.

And I don't want to get deaf from my game consoles lol