Lost sound after video-card install

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by GeekyGuy, May 18, 2009.

May 18, 2009
  1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Got my new PSU and hd 4670 video card today, installed without a hitch, really. Before installing any of the hardware, I uninstalled the current display drivers and shut down my PC. I then put in the new gear, flipped `er back on, and installed the ATI drivers from the disc. Computer rebooted, changed my display to fit my monitor in the ATI options, and tested out a game, which ran like butter. However, there's no sound, and my computer tells me there is no sound hardware installed.

Help please.

2. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Hm maybe your computer is confused because of the audio hardware on your graphics card. Some graphics card have audio hardware for audio through HDMI.

3. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    hmm. could be a conflict in device manager where the graphics and sound card is using the same icr (or something like that) number.

try updating your graphics drivers

4. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    What kind of sound are you using? Are you using a sound card with it? Maybe you need to have a sound card driver as well :wtf:. But this shouldn't be the case since it was working before...

EDIT: Awesome. At least it is working now.

5. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I'm not sure what the actual sound device name was, as it's built into my motherboard. I didn't have any luck re-installing the drivers from the HP help center included with my version of Windows XP, so I ended up just going into the BIOS and changing the audio settings from Auto to Enable. Sound is back on, so I'm happy.

Thanks anyway.

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    does your 4670 have a built in HDMI port by any chance?