Hacking Lost my Pokemon Y version forever, but have the save.../Desperate/.

PerdxxBlade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it literally does no harm to a computer. That's like saying that removing an USB drive from a computer can randomly break the USB. Which it could, if you didn't remove it "safely". Of course if you removed your laptop drive it would be when it's turned off. Honestly if I were you I'd just do it without telling my father because he wouldn't notice it either way. Takes you a minute to swap the drive .. Few minutes to retrieve files, and another minute to swap drive again.

If all else fails then you can buy the extrernal cover for the HDD and use that through USB to retrieve the files but tbh it's waste of money if you don't need to do it.
Yeah good point.

I'll be able to do this in a few days or so, reason being that if I end up needing a small screw driver, I have to wait until I get paid next to buy one

And for the guy helping me, if you see this, the reason it'll take me a little while to buy a 3DS + the required items for homebrew is because I'm drowning in bills at the moment, but all should be clear by the end of February - possibly sooner. But I believe that will be the absolute latest it will take me to finally be ready to begin this process

PerdxxBlade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And for the guy helping me, if you see this, the reason it'll take me a little while to buy a 3DS + the required items for homebrew is because I'm drowning in bills at the moment, but all should be clear by the end of February - possibly sooner. But I believe that will be the absolute latest it will take me to finally be ready to begin this process
  1. It sounds like you need to start using a cloud backup service like Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. in order to a.) not lose your files, and b.) have easy online access to your files if and when something goes wrong with your computer and/or hard drive.
  2. If you're on a serious budget, it might be worth buying a cheap 2DS if you don't care about 3D. Depending on where you buy them, they're only around $75-$80.
  3. Other than an SD card, there are no required items for homebrew access and CFW-installation anymore. 3DS/2DS systems also come with small SD cards that are sufficient for homebrew and installing approximately 1-4 games (pirated or legitimate), depending on their file sizes.

Last edited by Lacius,

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it literally does no harm to a computer. That's like saying that removing an USB drive from a computer can randomly break the USB. Which it could, if you didn't remove it "safely". Of course if you removed your laptop drive it would be when it's turned off. Honestly if I were you I'd just do it without telling my father because he wouldn't notice it either way. Takes you a minute to swap the drive .. Few minutes to retrieve files, and another minute to swap drive again.

If all else fails then you can buy the extrernal cover for the HDD and use that through USB to retrieve the files but tbh it's waste of money if you don't need to do it.
Dad logic.
Allows son to use laptop for simply cheating in pokemon, despite having important documents on it (DESPITE HIM NEEDING them backed up on external media)
Doesn't let him remove a hard drive

PerdxxBlade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. It sounds like you need to start using a cloud backup service like Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. in order to a.) not lose your files, and b.) have easy online access to your files if and when something goes wrong with your computer and/or hard drive.
  2. If you're on a serious budget, it might be worth buying a cheap 2DS if you don't care about 3D. Depending on where you buy them, they're only around $75-$80.
  3. Other than an SD card, there are no required items for homebrew access and CFW-installation anymore. 3DS/2DS systems also come with small SD cards that are sufficient for homebrew and installing approximately 1-4 games (pirated or legitimate), depending on their file sizes.
I'm in the process of taking apart the laptop now, so I don't have to wait for an HDD enclosure.

although, it's an Acer and doesn't have easy access to the hard drive like most brands do. it's an annoying af process where I have to take the entire computer apart whilst disconnecting/reconnecting a ton of ribbon cables from the keyboard and such.

I should have the save file available by the end of tonight

Reactions: Lacius

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm in the process of taking apart the laptop now, so I don't have to wait for an HDD enclosure.

although, it's an Acer and doesn't have easy access to the hard drive like most brands do. it's an annoying af process where I have to take the entire computer apart whilst disconnecting/reconnecting a ton of ribbon cables from the keyboard and such.

I should have the save file available by the end of tonight
Seems unusual for a laptop. Are you sure? Harddrive symbol is like 3 stacked circles.

PerdxxBlade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never mind, I put it all back together with the original hard drive and everything is working properly again.

Must be the computer rejecting the old hard drive for some reason.

I will have to wait for the enclosure after all, but at least I will have that save by the end of the month for sure.

as long as this process didn't break the old drive, but I doubt it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I went to Best Buy for them to check the drive and they said it worked before I did this so I should be good.

Reactions: HyperT

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
If you still have it out you'd probably need to run a linux/recovery OS from a usb in order to fix/scan the harddrive

PerdxxBlade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you still have it out you'd probably need to run a linux/recovery OS from a usb in order to fix/scan the harddrive
Edit: Never mind, I should be good once I get this enclosure.

I just don't know how to set this hard drive as my primary drive, which is what I was told is the issue here

Last edited by PerdxxBlade,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are about a million and one incompatibilities that could have caused the drive not to boot on the other computer. If I were you, I would have booted from a Ubuntu/Lubuntu USB drive and explored the hard drive's files from that OS.

PerdxxBlade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are about a million and one incompatibilities that could have caused the drive not to boot on the other computer. If I were you, I would have booted from a Ubuntu/Lubuntu USB drive and explored the hard drive's files from that OS.
yeah, I just don't have a way to do anything like that - no internet at my house. I'm currently switching from using the crappiest phone you could possibly get and going to the library to talk here.

and that process with taking apart the entire laptop is super annoying; they /really/ don't want you to change or upgrade anything in it, haha...x.x

to avoid accidentally breaking anything I'll just wait for the enclosure. I will have it early next week for sure - ordering it this Thursday.

and yeah, I'm going to get a 2DS for the purpose of my first homebrew. That way if I brick, it won't be as big of a loss as if I were to buy a 3DS. and once (or if, hoping it works) I get my Pokémon game restored through this process, that's when I will buy a 3DS and attempt to homebrew on that one, when I'm actually knowledgeable on the matter.

haven't even gotten to the homebrew step yet, lol. This'll be fun.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah good point.

I'll be able to do this in a few days or so, reason being that if I end up needing a small screw driver, I have to wait until I get paid next to buy one

You don't have screwdrivers? Go buy a set of precision screwdrivers from the dollar store. Surely, you can find a dollar. But you may need bit more for bus fare if you don't have a ride.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I just don't have a way to do anything like that - no internet at my house. I'm currently switching from using the crappiest phone you could possibly get and going to the library to talk here.

and that process with taking apart the entire laptop is super annoying; they /really/ don't want you to change or upgrade anything in it, haha...x.x

to avoid accidentally breaking anything I'll just wait for the enclosure. I will have it early next week for sure - ordering it this Thursday.

and yeah, I'm going to get a 2DS for the purpose of my first homebrew. That way if I brick, it won't be as big of a loss as if I were to buy a 3DS. and once (or if, hoping it works) I get my Pokémon game restored through this process, that's when I will buy a 3DS and attempt to homebrew on that one, when I'm actually knowledgeable on the matter.

haven't even gotten to the homebrew step yet, lol. This'll be fun.
I don't understand why someone on a budget is buying two 3DS systems: a 2DS and a 3DS.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
He's afraid of bricking, and 2DS is cheaper to brick I guess @Lacius

However, if you're able to comprehend a written guide and follow it at all times, and to never stray from it, and you're able to post here when/if you run into trouble instead of doing something on your own, then you will NOT brick. As such, you should just buy a 3DS.

If you're scummy and somehow brick your 3DS you could also return it and claim it came bricked out of the box :rolleyes:

You don't have screwdrivers? Go buy a set of precision screwdrivers from the dollar store. Surely, you can find a dollar. But you may need bit more for bus fare if you don't have a ride.

Maybe he thinks he needs a "specific" one. I'm sure they sell screwdrivers that are advertised as THE ONES for the 3DS .. even though any screwdriver will do if it's the Size 0 or 00 (not sure which tbh because every source says different).

Last edited by Distrance,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ