ROM Hack Looking to hire a ROM Hacker

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As a general rule we don't tend to see hackers be hired or have paid requests.

ROM hacking is already something of a dubious prospect and when money starts to get involved it is when lawyers perk up.

Similarly what kind of money are you looking to pay? Some company calls me up all breathless tomorrow and says "we need your knowledge of ARM assembly to sort this program we don't have source code to" and that is not a cheap service (as in I have seen people do such things and clear £1000 a day, though more conventional is still many hundred a day or serious project rates).
Depending upon what you want* and if it is of interest to the hacker (some like modern Mario Party but it is a rarity these days and it was never a particularly popular title for hackers) then someone might do it for a case of beer/decent meal type price but that is up to them.

*A few word changes or (hardcoding) some cheats that could be done in a few hours is one thing, radical tweak to the AI or underlying game logic taking days quite another, and there are all sorts of hurdles that might be in the way -- I might be able to give a better guess than those that are not hackers ("simple" requests often aren't) but I have also seen any number of would be nightmare projects that are an evening's effort in most other games.

Reactions: Zense

SuperMarioPlanet

OP
Trophies
Website
tinyurl.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies!

I'm just looking for someone who can switch P1 to a CPU in Mario Party 3DS, like it is possible to do in the earlier games! Whether that's done via a cheat code or whatever I do not know! Oh I had no idea FAST, but that makes sense! If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be thankful!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In your bog standard fighting game, even more so one in which the AI might take over from idle players, it should just be a little flag or similar somewhere in the game that you can tickle with a cheat to have the AI do something. I don't imagine it being too different for the average mario party title.

That said I am curious. I don't know how the game in question works but from the phrasing it sounds like the others can be kicked to AI. That says that they actually wrote extra code to prevent something. Now it could be that play testing revealed some people could be morons and press buttons and frustrate themselves but it could also be something like not enough CPU to handle everything. That said it is theoretically code already within a game that it already uses so no properly red flags at this point.

Searching for the code style flag is tedious but should not be too drastic. You would presumably start games and find out where the character info is (savestate, start a game with a character, search, revert to save, everything else the same but start with different character, search to see what is different, repeat until found, if you are really lucky it will all be near any collectables or score tokens which is an even easier search. You might get somewhere simply hovering or selecting a character in the menu but not starting a game, or it might be a complete wild goose chase). AI or not might well be somewhere near that. If not then time to search for the AI or not flag, same procedure but select one for AI. Once found for player 2, 3, 4 or whatever then 1 is likely nearby with a similar memory setup.

The proper hacker way is to see what you can do on the menus, and then what is stopping you from selecting something. At that point either set it yourself or remove the block. While potentially quicker, and definitely a whole lot more certain to get/know you are always working towards a result (even if you ultimately don't like it), then this is very much a versed hacker approach where you can learn to find simple memory cheats in 10 minutes (less if you already know the basics of programming or digital logic).

Ultimately if it is a purely aesthetic thing then meh. If you want to make a glorified screensaver then OK.

Reactions: Zense

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Patient zero giggity +1