Hacking Looking to buy a PS3 on Ebay.

crwys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been wanting a PS3 for a long time.
I found one on Ebay for 175$ (basicially for 225$ because I have to pay to have the laser fixed)
So its a 40GB PS3, Fat, Used, No controller for 225$.
After doing my research I can see that this a major rip off. When I can buy a new PS3, 160GB, with a controller for 250$. And just wait for an exploit if it is on 3.7 or 4.0 firmware.
After telling him I wasn't interested he tried persuading me saying:

You do understand that this unit is running custom firmware, right? The slims have a very low fault tolerance when it comes to custom firmware, so you may buy a brand new system and end up bricking it 2 days later. As for the hdd, my supplier only has 3.5" drives for that low of a price, while their 2.5" drives are slightly higher due to the crisis in Thailand.

I figured the "very low fault tolerance" was a load of bull but I figured I would ask here.
I asked him how much for a 160GB to be installed and he said 100$, so if I do end up buying it I will definitely be doing it my self.
I'm guessing he is making the price so high because of it running the 3.55 firmware.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been wanting a PS3 for a long time.
I found one on Ebay for 175$ (basicially for 225$ because I have to pay to have the laser fixed)
So its a 40GB PS3, Fat, Used, No controller for 225$.
After doing my research I can see that this a major rip off. When I can buy a new PS3, 160GB, with a controller for 250$. And just wait for an exploit if it is on 3.7 or 4.0 firmware.
After telling him I wasn't interested he tried persuading me saying:

You do understand that this unit is running custom firmware, right? The slims have a very low fault tolerance when it comes to custom firmware, so you may buy a brand new system and end up bricking it 2 days later. As for the hdd, my supplier only has 3.5" drives for that low of a price, while their 2.5" drives are slightly higher due to the crisis in Thailand.

I figured the "very low fault tolerance" was a load of bull but I figured I would ask here.
I asked him how much for a 160GB to be installed and he said 100$, so if I do end up buying it I will definitely be doing it my self.
He is retarded although it does happen more often the only CFW that bricked slims were the ones that weren't tested i.e Waninkoko. If you get your own PS3 and wait for an exploit just make sure other people have tested and it is brick-safe.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would not buy a phat ps3. their almost as unreliable as the old 360s. I originally bought a phat (used) ps3 on ebay since it's firmware was low enough to install cfw. it failed (ylod) within 8 minutes of turning it on. I had to return it. :-( after that, I bought a slim (used) ps3 for the same reason, and it seems to be holding up with no problems. I wish I could've gotten a new system, but unfortunately no new systems come with firmware lower than 3.6.

u might want to buy from this seller: http://myworld.ebay.com/orkmastermcgee/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

I bought both my low firmware ps3 and my jtaggable 360 from him. both work perfectly.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh. Just bought a phat PS3 for a few dollars. Only issue is that it doesn't have a disc drive. Which I assume can be easily fixed? I don't mean to intrude on this thread, just curious.

crwys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the info.
Definitely not buying it now and will be looking into the 180$ deal at Amazon.

Jesus DeJesus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't buy from Orkmastermcgee...300$ for a hackable PS3 is a sin, even this late. Rare? No. Consider that every 120GB PS3 they ever manufactured, as well as a large portion of all 160GB PS3, and even quite a few 320GB PS3 are essentially CFW capable. Don't buy one on 3.55 unless you can get it for under 225$, anything higher and you're paying a "convenience fee". Downgrade service is the way to go.

D

Deleted User

Don't buy from Orkmastermcgee...300$ for a hackable PS3 is a sin, even this late. Rare? No. Consider that every 120GB PS3 they ever manufactured, as well as a large portion of all 160GB PS3, and even quite a few 320GB PS3 are essentially CFW capable. Don't buy one on 3.55 unless you can get it for under 225$, anything higher and you're paying a "convenience fee". Downgrade service is the way to go.

well he asked this in 2011 so your information is a little late :P

Jesus DeJesus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh..usually the way forums work is that dated information comes up in Google for years, people read it, and are mislead. It is still a very valid topic and I had no intentions of helping the original poster. My help is aimed at people like myself who will stumble upon this thread in their quest for knowledge. To some who see this thread, they may view the information from previous postings in 2011 to still be the norm, and while things may have been this way back in 2011, here in 2013 they are not. Don't let people like Orkmastermcgee tell you that 3.55 PS3 are rare, when I can furnish them for you nonstop with a flasher and a local pawn shop til the day I die. It's about as rare as a booger you picked 5 minutes ago, your nose will eventually have more.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Or they could just trust their guts and make their own mistakes judging by the fact that the information is outdated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?