Looking for some new anime

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by The Milkman, Aug 30, 2011.

Aug 30, 2011
  1. The Milkman
    OP

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    Well I just started liking anime again (thanks temp and 3DS netflix [​IMG]) and now I really dont know what to watch. I saw all of soul eater and gurren laggan and loved them both buuuuttt then I tryed fullmetal and d.greyman and it just seems too serious or uninspiring to me. Anyway, Im looking for something like Soul Eater or Gurren laggan (in animation and acting NOT theme) something thats light and funny but also has a bit of adult humor, and also knows when to get serious anyone know anything like that? Also if its on netflix then that would be perfect.

2. Souldragon

Member Souldragon GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hmm let me check my Anime Harddrive

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi - Think it as the Karate kid but with 5 (could be more masters)
    Occult Academy - Weird stuff plus a guy from the future
    Tiger & Bunny - Super Heroes
    Tower of Druage - My reaction - Funny -> WTF - > NO WAY
    Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san - Funny

3. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    I also loved Gurren Laggan [​IMG]

Dragonball ( Favourite Anime ever , just Dragonball not Z or GT or Kai)

it's not light hearted but I'd tell anyone to give Code Geass a go as I found it to be utterly amazing

4. SinHarvest24

Member SinHarvest24 Shiroyasha

Trinidad and Tobago
    [​IMG]

I think you're the first person i've come across who didn't like FMA.

I got the perfect anime for a guy like you but i think the animation may not be to your expectations but i'll still like you to try it. Of course that anime would be non-other than, Gintama.

5. Varia

Member Varia GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    "something thats light and funny but also has a bit of adult humor, and also knows when to get serious anyone know anything like that?"

Seems like Gintama would be a perfect fit.
    Absolute epic and hilarious show, plenty of adult humor (though not much in the beginning), and gets serious at times.
    It's mostly an episodic show (each episode is not really related to the one before hand), but there are quite a few arcs (which are absolutely fantastic, each one and one of them).
    The beginning is rough, but it gets MUCH better after a few episodes - after you get to know the characters.

Another good show you might like is Katekyo Hitman Reborn.
    The first 20 episodes are comic - school life, but that is only to introduce the characters.
    After these first episodes, the story gets serious and "darker", and that's when the show really takes off.

I can't believe you didn't like FMA [​IMG] such a great show.
    Did you watch Full Metal Alchemist, or Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood? if the first one, then you MUST watch the 2nd one, as it's COMPLETELY different after 12 episodes.

If you're looking for something like Gurren Lagann, Code Geass is a good pick, as they are both mecha animes.
    Code Geass has a deep story, so it might not be to your liking, but the story is AMAZING with its so many plot twists.
    Death Note comes 2nd in mind, if you do happen to like Code Geass.

6. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, then. Amazing show imo, way better than the original anime.

7. The Milkman
    OP

United States
    I forgot about gintama [​IMG] And I dont know why I didnt like Fullmetal, it just got boring to me. The whole reason I started watching it was because I had just finished Soul Eater and I was looking for something REALLY long so I wouldnt go crazy waiting for netflix to update Dr.Who. But, after the whole thing with greed escaping I really just go tired of watching it and I liked the show much more before they had to deal with some form of main villain. I think I watched about 5 minutes of code geass before I got sick of it but ill give it another chance. Also I have been wanting to give hitman a go since I played Jump! Ulitmate Stars.

8. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Cowboy Bebop is a good anime, it's not like TTGL or SE, but if you like an amazing dub, amazing music, amazing choreography and animation, you'll love that show.

For a show that's like TTGL, watch Dragon Ball Z, the shows are pretty similar.

Also, you haven't even seen the main villain yet, and it's not Greed.

9. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    Code Geass.
    Watch it now. All of it. It's an amazing anime, and the ending of the 2nd season is the best of any anime I've ever seen.

10. The Milkman
    OP

United States
    I know greeds not the main villain. (its lust right o.o) I just got tired of it.

11. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Summaries within spoilers.

Fractale - 11 Episodes - Series Complete
    Haibane Renmei - 13 Episodes - Series Complete
    Hellsing - 13 Episodes - Series Complete
    Black Butler - 24 Episodes - Series Complete
    Black Butler II - 12 Episodes - Series Complete
    Yumekui Merry - 13 Episodes - Series Complete
    Negima! - 26 Episodes - Series Complete
    Negima!? - 26 Episodes - Series Complete
    Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? - 12 Episodes - Series complete

12. Chikaku-chan

Member Chikaku-chan ᏁᎽᎪ~

Australia
    Soul Eater, love it

13. Byronic Hero

Member Byronic Hero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Currently Running:

Fairy Tail - I am loving this show more and more as the weeks go by.

One Piece - (EXTREMELY FUNNY, If you like DBZ, watch this. Thing is, it has over 500 episodes. My all time favorite anime)

Beelzebub - (Funniest Anime I have seen in a while, An anime hasn't made me laugh out loud like this since Excel Saga)

Ao no Exorcist (Blue Exorcist) - Very Good anime, similar to Soul Eater, it can be both serious and funny.

Ended:

MAR (Marchen Awakens Romance) - Kinda has an Wizard of Oz feeling to it, with humor and action
    Death Note - Trust me, its serious, but it's good.

There are more, but you need to see these 6 FIRST [​IMG]

14. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Pure Action: Fairy Tail & Law of Ueki
    Action/physological: Code Geass & Death Note
    Comedy: Ouran Highschool Host Club
    Love: Kimi ni Todoke
    Mystery: Detective Conan

Underrated manga that is totally awesome: Aphorism

@Byronic Hero: I dont recommend Ao no Exorcist becasue its clearly aiming for a Full Metal Alchemist ending where it goes anime original. It is however a really good anime considering those anime fillers are actually quite good. Expect 1-2 more years before they release the show that follows the manga. The manga isn't even close to the word "finish". Its a montly release manga meaning its pace will be way slower than a weekly series.

@Zantigo: Drop the Full Metal Alchemist series that went anime original and pick up Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Basically its the "real" series which runs based on the manga. Forget everything that is mentioned in FMA. 80% of the plot is useless in Brotherhood as the story is competely different from each other. If you compare them with each other, then Brotherhood clearly wins by a mile. Though the start of the FMA series was really cool as it actually followed the manga for most of the part.

15. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    Ouran Highschool host club

Full Metal Panic

Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei

All 3 of them have their fair amount of humor and seriousnes.

16. Byronic Hero

Member Byronic Hero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There's no problem with an anime going off on it's own tangent. FMA did it, yeah, but was the anime itself nominated for multiple awards when it aired/finished?

At least it isn't like Bleach or Naruto where it goes for a few years, catches up to the manga, then goes into "filler-mode" to compensate.

17. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I'd like to point out that a person should watch Negima!? THEN Negima!, or just never watch Negima!?....
    If you watch Negima!, it has a funny storyline, mixed with some serious moments. It develops the characters really well.
    Negima!? throws all that right out the window and replaces anything serious with comedy and basically turns the series into a joke.
    It's funny, but if you've watched Negima! first...you're gonna get pissed off watching them shit all over the story and character development for cheap laughs.

18. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    I thought it balanced the series out quite well.

19. Gundam Eclipse

Member Gundam Eclipse True Demon Route

India
    Or even better, READ THE MANGA.

No, seriously, the manga has gotten really fucking epic. The animes could be seen as a kind of intro i guess, but the real story and character/action/etc. awesomeness is in the manga.

20. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    The reason why Bleach, Naruto & One Piece keeps going despite fillers is because the amount of people watching it is HUGE compared to other anime shows. Huge rating means more money and more money means profit. They do it because they know kids will still watch it despite how bad the fillers is and the fact that they still earn a huge amount compared to other animes. There isnt a problem it going off, but the finish always leaves you in TONS of question which is never answered unless they do a re-release which they ever wont. They instead remake it like Brotherhood. The only reason why they went on with it is becasue they got really good early ratings. Those early ratings was because they went after the manga. The anime caught up really quick however and thus they had to go anime original.